Comparing fractions with definite integrals

In summary, the problem is that the integrals don't seem to help. However, approximations can be used to get similar bounds.
Saitama
Hello! I found the following problem on AOPS:

Which is larger,

$$\Large \frac{\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}x^{2014}\sin^{2014}x\ dx}{\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}x^{2013}\sin^{2013}x\ dx}\ \text{or}\ \frac{\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}x^{2011}\sin^{2011}x\ dx}{\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}x^{2012}\sin^{2012}x\ dx}\ ?$$

I don't really have much idea about the problem. I thought of defining:
$$I_n=\int_0^{\pi/2} x^n\sin^n x\,dx$$
From integration by parts, I got:
$$I_n=\left(\sin^n x \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}\right|_0^{\pi/2}-\int_0^{\pi/2} n\sin^{n-1} x \cos x \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}\,dx=-\frac{n}{n+1}\int_0^{\pi/2} x^{n+1}\sin^{n+1}x \frac{\cos x}{\sin^2 x}\,dx$$
but this doesn't help in obtaining a relation between $I_n$ and $I_{n-1}$. I am stuck here.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that solving the integral will be helpful but I guess you should use approximations. Use the following two inequalities which hold correct on $[0,\pi /2]$

\(\displaystyle \sin(x)\leq x \)

\(\displaystyle \sin(x)\geq \frac{2}{\pi } x\)

ZaidAlyafey said:
I don't think that solving the integral will be helpful but I guess you should use approximations. Use the following two inequalities which hold correct on $[0,\pi /2]$

\(\displaystyle \sin(x)\leq x \)

\(\displaystyle \sin(x)\geq \frac{2}{\pi } x\)

Using the inequalities:
$$\frac{2}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi/2} x^{2n}\,dx\leq I_n \leq \int_0^{\pi/2}x^{2n}\,dx$$
$$\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2n+1}\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)^{2n} \leq I_n \leq \frac{1}{2n+1}\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)^{2n+1}\,\,\,(*)$$
From above, we can write the bounds for $I_{n+1}$ i.e
$$\frac{1}{2n+3}\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)^{2n+2} \leq I_{n+1} \leq \frac{1}{2n+3}\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)^{2n+3}$$
$$\Rightarrow (2n+3)\left(\frac{2}{\pi}\right)^{2n+3}\leq \frac{1}{I_{n+1}} \leq (2n+3)\left(\frac{2}{\pi}\right)^{2n+2}\,\,\,\,(**)$$
Using (*) and (**),
$$\frac{2n+3}{2n+1}\left(\frac{2}{\pi}\right)^3 \leq \frac{I_n}{I_{n+1}} \leq \frac{2n+3}{2n+1}\left(\frac{2}{\pi}\right)$$
For $n=2011$,
$$\frac{4025}{4023}\left(\frac{2}{\pi}\right)^3 \leq \frac{I_{2011}}{I_{2012}}\leq \frac{4025}{4023} \left(\frac{2}{\pi}\right) \Rightarrow 0.2581 \leq \frac{I_{2011}}{I_{2012}} \leq 0.6369$$
For $n=2013$
$$\frac{4027}{4029}\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right) \leq \frac{I_{2014}}{I_{2013}}\leq \frac{4027}{4029} \left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)^3 \Rightarrow 1.57 \leq \frac{I_{2014}}{I_{2014}}\leq 3.87$$

This shows that the first ratio is greater. Thanks a lot ZaidAlyafey! :)

But I had to use a calculator to find those values, is their a way to do it without using a calculator?

You are using that

\(\displaystyle \sin^n(x)\geq \frac{2}{\pi } x^n\)

But I don't think that this inequality holds because

\(\displaystyle \left| \frac{2}{\pi } x^n \right| \)

is not bounded by 1.

ZaidAlyafey said:
You are using that

\(\displaystyle \sin^n(x)\geq \frac{2}{\pi } x^n\)

But I don't think that this inequality holds because

\(\displaystyle \left| \frac{2}{\pi } x^n \right| \)

is not bounded by 1.

Do I have to use $\sin^n x \geq \left(\frac{2}{\pi}x\right)^n$? If so, the bounds would be very dirty. (Sweating)

Pranav said:
Do I have to use $\sin^n x \geq \left(\frac{2}{\pi}x\right)^n$? If so, the bounds would be very dirty. (Sweating)

I don't think it is the best approach. The problem might be easier than I thought. Compare $I_n$ and $I_{n+1}$ and use that $x\sin x$ is increasing and positive on the interval.

Note that

\(\displaystyle \frac{I_n}{I_{n+1}}\leq 1 \leq \frac{I_{n+1}}{I_{n}} \)

ZaidAlyafey said:
Note that

\(\displaystyle \frac{I_n}{I_{n+1}}\leq 1 \leq \frac{I_{n+1}}{I_{n}} \)

Sorry for the late reply.

I just noticed that what I wrote in the first post is incorrect. It should be

$$(n+1)I_n=\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)^{n+1}-n\int_0^{\pi/2} x^{n+1}\sin^{n+1}x \frac{\cos x}{\sin^2 x}\,dx$$
But I still do not see how you got those bounds. :confused:

Related to Comparing fractions with definite integrals

1. What is the purpose of comparing fractions with definite integrals?

The purpose of comparing fractions with definite integrals is to understand the relationship between fractions and integrals, and to use this relationship to solve problems involving fractions and integrals.

2. What is the difference between a fraction and a definite integral?

A fraction represents a part of a whole, while a definite integral represents the area under a curve on a graph. Fractions can be thought of as discrete values, while definite integrals represent continuous values.

3. How can comparing fractions with definite integrals be useful in real-world applications?

Comparing fractions with definite integrals can be useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating the average value of a function, finding the probability of an event, or determining the volume of an irregular shape.

4. Can all fractions be represented as definite integrals?

Yes, all fractions can be represented as definite integrals. This is because every fraction can be rewritten as a ratio of two numbers, which can then be used to define the limits of integration in a definite integral.

5. Are there any limitations to comparing fractions with definite integrals?

One limitation of comparing fractions with definite integrals is that it can only be applied to continuous functions. Additionally, the process of converting a fraction to a definite integral may not always be straightforward and may require some manipulation or approximation.