Comparing Energy Transfer and Speed Changes in Isolated Systems

In summary, the system is not isolated and the energy can be split between rotational and linear kinetic energies. The plan of attack is to use the conservation of energy to solve the problem.
Amik
Homework Statement
I just want to know how to choose a isolates system
Relevant Equations
Isolated system
WeChat Image_20200109193333.jpg

I have difficulty at choosing isolated system.We can not choose rope and block to be the isolated system?This is for number 20.

Physics news on Phys.org
No clue what you mean by isolated system. Draw the two FBDs for the block and the cylinder.

Also, it looks like you deleted the section on the Relevant Equations. What is the Relevant Equation for the MOI of a mass? And the related Relevant Equation for the angular acceleration of such a mass with the calculated MOI?

I am choosing to use the conservation of energy to solve the problem.

Amik said:
How so? What's your plan of attack? I believe it is doable, but I'd like to see your approach.

Amik said:
COE to solve a MOI problem? I wouldn't think that's possible, but @gneill hints that it might be possible, and I trust him... :smile:

Okay, I see it now, but that wouldn't be my first approach to this fairly simple problem. Just sayin' :smile:

I know using moment of inertia is way easier and this problem is in the section of the conversation of energy

Amik said:
I know using moment of inertia is way easier and this problem is in the section of the conversation of energy
You'll need the MOI anyways in order to determine how the energy is split between rotational and linear kinetic energies.

Likes berkeman
Yeah, I know.

Okay. While the fixed axle of the cylinder is clearly tying the system into a "greater" outside system, you should be able to proceed as though the cylinder and dangling mass are isolated as far as energy is concerned. What that axle is tied to can be taken as so massive that no appreciable momentum or energy will be transferred there. So what's your plan?

gneill said:
What that axle is tied to can be taken as so massive that no appreciable momentum or energy will be transferred there.
I think what you want to say is that the transfer of energy that takes place changes appreciably the rotational speed of the cylinder and the linear speed of the hanging mass but not the corresponding speeds of whatever the axle is tied to. The energy gain by one has the same magnitude as the energy loss by the other. To determine whether the energy transfer is negligible, it needs to be compared against an energy other than itself. It's the speeds that need be compared, not the energy transfer.

kuruman said:
I think what you want to say is that the transfer of energy that takes place changes appreciably the rotational speed of the cylinder and the linear speed of the hanging mass but not the corresponding speeds of whatever the axle is tied to. The energy gain by one has the same magnitude as the energy loss by the other. To determine whether the energy transfer is not appreciable, it needs to be compared against another energy other than itself. It's the speeds that need be compared, not the energy transfer.
Yes, that's a much better description of what I was intending. I sometimes find I'm too curt in my responses. Thanks for the assist.

Likes kuruman

Related to Comparing Energy Transfer and Speed Changes in Isolated Systems

What is an isolated system?

An isolated system is a physical system that does not interact with its surroundings in terms of energy or matter. This means that the total energy and matter within the system remains constant.

Why is it important to choose an isolated system?

Choosing an isolated system is important because it allows for the study and observation of a specific set of variables without external interference. This helps to ensure accurate and reliable results in scientific experiments.

What are some examples of isolated systems?

Some examples of isolated systems include a sealed thermos, a closed insulated container, and a planet in space with no external forces acting upon it.

How do you create an isolated system?

An isolated system can be created by using insulating materials to prevent the transfer of energy or matter between the system and its surroundings. It can also be achieved by using a physical barrier to isolate the system from external forces.

What are the limitations of using an isolated system?

The main limitation of using an isolated system is that it only allows for the study of a specific set of variables and does not account for external factors that may affect the results. Additionally, it is not always possible to completely isolate a system from its surroundings, so there may still be some small interactions that can affect the results.