What Is the Best Way to Determine Electricity Prices on an Isolated Island?

• Thread starter Kolika28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the power producers have made the following offers during the hour:- coal power, which provides 75 MW for the hour- a combination of solar, wind, and hydro power, which provide a total of 32.5 MW- solar and hydro power, which provide a total of 16.5 MW- wind power, which provides 10 MW- coal power, which provides 75 MW for the hour- a combination of solar, wind, and hydro power, which provide a total of 32.5 MW- solar and hydro power, which provide a total of 16.5 MW- wind power, which provides 10 MW
Kolika28
Homework Statement
a) What will be the price for the following hour?

b) Draw a graph showing Merit order, electricity production as a function of installed power, and show how the market price is set.
Relevant Equations
Merit order
An isolated island has a specific electricity demand of 75 MW for a specific hour. The power producers have made the following offers during the hour:
1575407831918.png

To be honest, I don't understand both a and b. When it comes to a, should I just use several of the options in the table to get 75 MW? Or should I just choose ONE option that gives me 75MW, like coal power?

When it comes to b, I do understand what the Merit order shows us, but I don't understand how to make it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Merit order works like this:
- pick the cheapest type of power
- if that provides all the demand, you are done, otherwise..
- add in the second cheapest
- if the running total provides all the demand, you are done, otherwise..
- add in the next cheapest
etc.

When you have enough to satisfy demand, all of those you picked warns the rate of the last one you picked, i.e. the highest of those you picked.

For part b, not quite sure what they want. Seems to me there are two graphs.
A stacked column graph, cheapest at the bottom, would show what the power mix would be for any given demand.
But to see how the price per MW depends on demand, a line graph plotting that price against demand would be better.

haruspex said:
Merit order works like this:
- pick the cheapest type of power
- if that provides all the demand, you are done, otherwise..
- add in the second cheapest
- if the running total provides all the demand, you are done, otherwise..
- add in the next cheapest
etc.

When you have enough to satisfy demand, all of those you picked warns the rate of the last one you picked, i.e. the highest of those you picked.
Hmm, I'm not sure if I understand a. Should I just use coal power, since it statisfy the demand?
So the price is:
##100MW*10^3kW/MW*1h*0.35USD/kWh=35 000 USD##?

Kolika28 said:
Hmm, I'm not sure if I understand a. Should I just use coal power, since it statisfy the demand?
So the price is:
##100MW*10^3kW/MW*1h*0.35USD/kWh=35 000 USD##?
If you follow the algorithm given by @haruspex, what is the first step?

Asking for clarification: if someone offers 100 MW at 0.35 USD/kW, does that imply they are obliged to deliver, say 32.5 MW at the same rate ?

BvU said:
Asking for clarification: if someone offers 100 MW at 0.35 USD/kW, does that imply they are obliged to deliver, say 32.5 MW at the same rate ?
Yes. The offer is up to the 100MW.

Rather unrealistic: you need a full crew, even for one third of the capacity ...

BvU said:
Rather unrealistic: you need a full crew, even for one third of the capacity ...
It must be realistic because that is how it works. These deals are struck at five minute intervals, so the crew is there anyway. It's largely automated.

Likes Kolika28 and BvU
BvU said:

Depends on the market and the market rules.

For this particular homework problem, probably what the OP should do is pick a rule, state it, and solve the problem using that rule.

Likes Kolika28

Related to What Is the Best Way to Determine Electricity Prices on an Isolated Island?

1. What factors should be considered when determining electricity prices on an isolated island?

The factors that should be considered when determining electricity prices on an isolated island include the cost of production, infrastructure and maintenance, demand and consumption patterns, government regulations and policies, and the availability of alternative energy sources.

2. How does the size of the island affect electricity prices?

The size of the island can have a significant impact on electricity prices. Smaller islands may have higher electricity prices due to limited resources and higher production costs. Larger islands may have lower electricity prices due to economies of scale and access to more resources.

3. What role does renewable energy play in determining electricity prices on an isolated island?

Renewable energy sources, such as solar, wind, and hydro power, can play a crucial role in determining electricity prices on an isolated island. These sources can reduce the reliance on expensive fossil fuels and help to stabilize electricity prices in the long run.

4. How do government regulations and policies impact electricity prices on an isolated island?

Government regulations and policies can have a significant impact on electricity prices. For example, subsidies for renewable energy sources can lower electricity prices, while taxes and tariffs on imported fuel can increase prices. Government regulations can also affect the competition and market structure, which can ultimately impact electricity prices.

5. How can the demand and consumption patterns of an isolated island affect electricity prices?

The demand and consumption patterns of an isolated island can greatly influence electricity prices. If the demand for electricity is high and the supply is limited, prices are likely to be higher. Additionally, peak usage times can also contribute to higher prices, as the infrastructure and production costs may need to be increased to meet the demand.