Compare forces exerted between the Tennis Racquets

In summary, the problem involves comparing the force exerted by a player's racket on a tennis ball with the force exerted by another player's hand on the ball. The ball is initially traveling at 40 m/s and is returned at the same speed. The time interval of contact is assumed to be the same for both cases. The equations and mass are not given, making it challenging to find the difference in force using only velocity. However, considering the change in velocity, it can be determined that there is a difference in force between the two players.
DanielC90

Homework Statement

During a tennis volley, a ball that arrives at a player at
40 m/s is struck by the racquet and returned at 40 m/s. The other player, realizing that the ball is out of bounds, catches it in her hand.
Assuming the time interval of contact is the same in both cases, compare the force exerted by the first player's racquet on the ball with the force exerted by the second player's hand on the ball.

Homework Equations

None given. The book did not provide me with one I could use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have submitted 0 as my answer because I felt that with both of them going the same speed, there would be 0 difference in force, but I got this problem incorrect (5 more attempts remaining at the time of this message). Mass is not given either, so how would one find the difference of force between these two using only velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the change in velocity in each case?

judging from the given variables, there's no change.

-40m/s

The player with the racket holds and returns the ball. The other player does not return the ball...
A big difference...

Last edited:
DanielC90 said:
judging from the given variables, there's no change.
The ball approaches the racket at 40 m/s. After being hit by the racket, it is moving at 40 m/s in the opposite direction. Velocity is a vector. What is the magnitude of the change in velocity? (It is not zero.)

Ahhh ok... I was worn out yesterday so I couldn't figure that out.

Last edited:

Related to Compare forces exerted between the Tennis Racquets

1. How do the forces exerted between tennis racquets compare?

The forces exerted between tennis racquets depend on a variety of factors, including the material and design of the racquets, the strength and technique of the players, and the speed and angle of the shots. Generally, the forces exerted by a player will be greater on their dominant hand side, and the forces exerted by a ball will be greater on the side of the racquet it is hit on.

2. Is there a significant difference in the forces exerted between different types of tennis racquets?

Yes, there can be a significant difference in the forces exerted between different types of tennis racquets. Racquets made of different materials, such as graphite or aluminum, will have different levels of stiffness and therefore different levels of force exerted. Additionally, racquets with different head sizes and string tensions can also affect the forces exerted.

3. How do the forces exerted between tennis racquets change during a match?

The forces exerted between tennis racquets can vary throughout a match, depending on the intensity and fatigue of the players. As players become more fatigued, their shots may have less force behind them, and therefore the forces exerted between the racquets may decrease. Additionally, as players adjust their technique and strategy during a match, the forces exerted may also change.

4. Can the forces exerted between tennis racquets be measured?

Yes, it is possible to measure the forces exerted between tennis racquets using specialized equipment, such as force plates or high-speed cameras. These measurements can provide valuable insights into the mechanics of the game and can help players and coaches improve their technique and performance.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the forces exerted between tennis racquets?

While tennis is generally considered a safe sport, there are some safety concerns related to the forces exerted between tennis racquets. Players should be careful to avoid hitting each other with their racquets, as this can result in injury. Additionally, the forces exerted by powerful serves or shots can potentially cause strain or injury to a player's arm or wrist, so proper technique and warm-up exercises are important for injury prevention.