Comoving distance (transverse)

• I
  • Thread starter S0uris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transverse
In summary, the conversation is about deriving the comoving distance (transverse) using the Friedmann-Robertson-Walker metric and hyperspherical coordinates. The trigonometric terms in the coordinate transformation are necessary to account for the singularity in the FRW metric when the curvature of the universe is non-zero. The transverse comoving distance is related to the angular diameter distance through the scale factor, which is equal to one in the current time. Pages 3-6 of the linked document may provide further explanation.
S0uris
Hi, i need derive the comoving distance (transverse)

im working with https://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/9905116.pdf

I've had trouble starting, please help :)

Captura de pantalla de 2020-06-03 19-12-29.png

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Could you go into more details? You cannot expect the readers read the entire paper.

ok :) i just need this form, i don't know how to start.

Captura de pantalla de 2020-06-03 19-12-29.png

S0uris said:
i need derive the comoving distance (transverse)

What do you mean by "derive" and what information that you need to do so isn't in the paper you linked to?

S0uris said:
Hi, i need derive the comoving distance (transverse)

im working with https://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/9905116.pdf

I've had trouble starting, please help :)

View attachment 264089

I think you need to read up on the Friedmann-Robertson-Walker metric. If you do you will know those trigonometric terms come from the coordinate transformation to hyperspherical coordinates. This is done because the FRW metric (which is really the metric of a 3-sphere in spacetime) has a coordinate singularity when the curvature of the universe is non-zero.

The second point is that transverse comoving distance is related to angular diameter distance via the scale factor and in fact in the current time the scale factor is equal to one.

This explanation is terrible I know, but It's difficult to explain without actually deriving everything. If you are familiar with Einstein notation, then pages 3 to 6 inclusive of this document might help.

Last edited:

Related to Comoving distance (transverse)

1. What is comoving distance (transverse)?

Comoving distance (transverse) is a measure of the distance between two objects in the universe, taking into account the expansion of space over time. It is often used in cosmology to describe the separation between galaxies or other celestial objects.

2. How is comoving distance (transverse) different from other distance measures?

Comoving distance (transverse) is different from other distance measures, such as proper distance or luminosity distance, because it takes into account the expansion of the universe. This means that the comoving distance will remain constant over time, while other distance measures will change as the universe expands.

3. How is comoving distance (transverse) calculated?

Comoving distance (transverse) is calculated using the Hubble parameter, which describes the rate of expansion of the universe, and the redshift of the object. The formula for comoving distance is d = c/H0 * z, where d is the comoving distance, c is the speed of light, H0 is the Hubble parameter, and z is the redshift.

4. What is the significance of comoving distance (transverse) in cosmology?

In cosmology, comoving distance (transverse) is an important measure for understanding the large-scale structure of the universe. It allows scientists to compare the distances between objects at different points in time, and to study the expansion of the universe over time.

5. Can comoving distance (transverse) be measured directly?

No, comoving distance (transverse) cannot be measured directly. It is a theoretical concept that is calculated using other observable quantities, such as the redshift of objects. However, it provides a useful tool for understanding the structure and evolution of the universe.