Commutator of complex Klein-Gordon solution with total momentum

In summary, the task is to show the commutation relation between P^\mu and \phi(x), which involves integrals over k and k' and the operators a^\dagger, a, b^\dagger, b. The key is to use the commutation relations for these operators and distinguish between the two integrals.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hey guys,

So I have to show the following:

[itex][P^{\mu} , \phi(x)]=-i\partial^{\mu}\phi(x)[/itex],

where

[itex]\phi(x)=\int \frac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}2\omega(\vec{k})} \left[ a(\vec{k})e^{-ik\cdot x}+b^{\dagger}(\vec{k})e^{ik\cdot x} \right][/itex]

and

[itex]P^{\mu}=\int \frac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}2\omega(\vec{k})} k^{\mu} \left[ \mathcal{N}_{a}(\vec{k})+\mathcal{N}_{b}(\vec{k}) \right][/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\mathcal{N}_{a}=a^{\dagger}(\vec{k})a(\vec{k})[/itex]
[itex]\mathcal{N}_{b}=b^{\dagger}(\vec{k})b(\vec{k})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So all I've done is calculated the commutator as normal and collected all the terms, and I've got:

JGYzoM.png

The only difference is that I've dropped the functional dependence on k to make it shorter.

I'm stuck at this point - not quite sure how to proceed! please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. Since [itex]P^\mu[/itex] and [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] both involve integrals, the product should be a double integral. And you need to distinguish between the integration for [itex]P^\mu[/itex] and the integration for [itex]\phi(x)[/itex]. So use [itex]k[/itex] for the first integral and [itex]k'[/itex] for the second.

You need the commutation relation on the operators [itex]a^\dagger, a, b^\dagger, b[/itex]. There are different conventions, so you have to look up which one your textbook is using, but it's something like this:

[itex][ a^\dagger(k), a(k') ] = -(2 \pi)^3 2E \delta^3(k - k')[/itex]

where [itex]E = k^0[/itex]

Related to Commutator of complex Klein-Gordon solution with total momentum

1. What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mathematical operation that measures the extent to which two operations, or abstract quantities, do not commute with each other. In physics, the commutator is used to determine how two physical quantities, such as momentum and position, affect each other.

2. What is the complex Klein-Gordon equation?

The complex Klein-Gordon equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of a spinless particle in quantum field theory. It is a second-order partial differential equation that incorporates both time and space into its formulation, and it is used to describe the behavior of particles with zero spin, such as the Higgs boson.

3. How is the commutator of the complex Klein-Gordon solution with total momentum calculated?

The commutator of the complex Klein-Gordon solution with total momentum can be calculated by taking the difference between the product of the solution and the momentum operator and the product of the momentum operator and the solution. This can be written as [Φ(x), P], where Φ(x) is the solution and P is the momentum operator.

4. What is the significance of the commutator in quantum mechanics?

The commutator plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics as it determines the fundamental uncertainty in measuring two physical quantities simultaneously. The commutator between two operators is related to the uncertainty in measuring those operators, and it is a key concept in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

5. How is the commutator used in practical applications?

The commutator is used in practical applications to determine the behavior of physical systems at the quantum level. It is used to calculate the expectation values of physical quantities, such as energy and momentum, and to determine the evolution of a quantum state in time. It is also used in the calculation of scattering amplitudes in particle physics and in the study of quantum field theory.