Commutative operators and obserables

• Thread starter blakegriffin1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between commuting operators and exact measurement of observables. It also touches on the concept that non-commuting operators cannot be measured simultaneously and the importance of choosing the appropriate representation for operators.
blakegriffin1
I'm just revising some Quantum Mech and I have two questions.

I know that if two operators commute say for instance [[itex]\hat{A}[/itex],[itex]\hat{B}[/itex]] = [[itex]\hat{B}[/itex],[itex]\hat{A}[/itex]] = 0 Then the observables that the operators extract from the wavefunction can be measured exactly (without losing information about the other).
so that B [itex]\psi[/itex] = b[itex]\psi[/itex] and A [itex]\psi[/itex] = a [itex]\psi[/itex]

Question 1) Does this mean that the expectation value of [itex]\hat{B}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] will be "b" and "a" respectively ? or does this mean that after each and every measurement the measured value of [itex]\hat{B}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] will be b and a ?

Secondly
Now if two operators don't commute then they can't both be measured simultaneously.
So my question is basically let's assume we have the position and momentum operators and we wish to measure their observables. Assume we know the momentum of the particle exactly. Then we have:
[itex]\hat{p}[/itex] [itex]\psi[/itex] = j [itex]\psi[/itex]
(where j is the exact value of the momentum)

Now Clearly since the "x" operator simply acts by "x" we have:
[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] [itex]\psi[/itex] = x [itex]\psi[/itex]
So they are measured exactly ?
I know my understanding is off somewhere can someone point out to me where ?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
blakegriffin1 said:
I'm just revising some Quantum Mech and I have two questions.

I know that if two operators commute say for instance [[itex]\hat{A}[/itex],[itex]\hat{B}[/itex]] = [[itex]\hat{B}[/itex],[itex]\hat{A}[/itex]] = 0 Then the observables that the operators extract from the wavefunction can be measured exactly (without losing information about the other).
so that B [itex]\psi[/itex] = b[itex]\psi[/itex] and A [itex]\psi[/itex] = a [itex]\psi[/itex]

Question 1) Does this mean that the expectation value of [itex]\hat{B}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] will be "b" and "a" respectively ? or does this mean that after each and every measurement the measured value of [itex]\hat{B}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] will be b and a ?

Both. (Of course, the second implies the first: if you always get b, then the expectation value is b too.)

blakegriffin1 said:
Secondly
Now if two operators don't commute then they can't both be measured simultaneously.
So my question is basically let's assume we have the position and momentum operators and we wish to measure their observables. Assume we know the momentum of the particle exactly. Then we have:
[itex]\hat{p}[/itex] [itex]\psi[/itex] = j [itex]\psi[/itex]
(where j is the exact value of the momentum)

Now Clearly since the "x" operator simply acts by "x" we have:
[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] [itex]\psi[/itex] = x [itex]\psi[/itex]
So they are measured exactly ?
I know my understanding is off somewhere can someone point out to me where ?
Thanks in advance

The equation
[tex]\hat{x} \psi = x \psi[/tex]
is only true if [itex]\psi[/itex] is an eigenstate of the [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] operator. Since it's an eigenstate of [itex]\hat{p}[/itex], it couldn't possibly be an eigenstate of [itex]\hat{x}[/itex].

Right but isn't any wavefunction [itex]\psi[/itex] an eigenfunction of [itex]\hat{x}[/itex]
as [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] [itex]\psi[/itex] = x [itex]\psi[/itex]
This should work for basically everything right since the operator [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] doesn't really do anything besides apply "x" ?

The x operator acts by multiplication with x only in the coordinate representation. Choosing another representation of the commutation relation means the operator will act in a different way.

Related to Commutative operators and obserables

What are commutative operators and observables?

Commutative operators and observables are mathematical concepts used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of physical systems. Operators are mathematical functions that act on observables, which are physical quantities that can be measured.

What is the commutative property?

The commutative property states that the order in which two operators are applied does not affect the final result. In other words, if two operators A and B are applied to an observable, the result will be the same whether A is applied first or B is applied first.

What is an example of a commutative operator and observable?

A common example is the position and momentum operators. In classical mechanics, the position and momentum of a particle are independent variables. However, in quantum mechanics, the position operator and momentum operator do not commute, meaning their order of application can affect the final result.

What are the implications of commutative operators and observables in quantum mechanics?

The commutative property is crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum systems. It allows us to make predictions and measurements with a high degree of accuracy. Additionally, it plays a significant role in the development of quantum algorithms and technologies.

Are all operators and observables commutative?

No, not all operators and observables are commutative. Some operators, such as the spin operator, do not commute with all observables. This can lead to interesting phenomena, such as quantum entanglement, which is essential in quantum information processing.