Commutation relations trouble (basic)

In summary, the conversation revolves around the understanding of two statements from Sakurai's Modern QM. The first states that if two operators, A and B, commute, then they share the same set of eigenstates. The second states that if two operators have the same eigenstates, then they commute. However, it is pointed out that these statements do not guarantee that every eigenstate of one operator is also an eigenstate of the other, only that they can be combined to form eigenstates of both operators. The conversation ends with a technical clarification of the conditions under which two operators commute.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I am reading the first chapter of Sakurai's Modern QM and from pages 30 and 32 respectively, I understand that

(i) If [A,B]=0, then they share the same set of eigenstates.

(ii) Conversely, if two operators have the same eigenstates, then they commute.

But we know that [itex][L^2,L_z]=0[/itex], [itex][L^2,L_x]=0[/itex] and [itex][L_z,L_x]\neq 0[/itex].

From the first equality, and (i) I gather that L² and L_z have the same eigenkets. From (i) and the second equality, I get that L² and L_x have the same eigenkets. So L_z and L_x have the same eigenkets. Hence, by (ii), they commute, which contradicts [itex][L_z,L_x]\neq 0[/itex].

Where did I go wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi quasar,

Consider the states [tex] | \ell, \,m_z \rangle [/tex] which are the usual simultaneous eigenstates of [tex] L^2 [/tex] and [tex] L_z [/tex]. To understand your problem, imagine taking superpositions of these states with the same [tex] \ell [/tex] but different [tex] m_z [/tex] values. For example, the state [tex] | 1/2,\, 1/2 \rangle + | 1/2, \,-1/2 \rangle [/tex] is such a superpostion; an equal superposition of spin up and spin down. This state is not an eigenstate of [tex] L_z [/tex] (two different [tex] m_z [/tex] values), but it is still an eigenstate of [tex] L^2 [/tex]. Thus while it is certainly possible to choose simultaneous eigenstates of [tex] L_z [/tex] and [tex] L^2 [/tex], it is definitely not true that every eigenstate of [tex] L^2 [/tex] is an eigenstate of [tex] L_z [/tex]. In fact, the state I just constructed is nothing other than the spin up eigenstate of [tex] L_x [/tex]. That is, it is a simultaneous eigenstate of [tex] L^2 [/tex] and [tex] L_x [/tex] rather than [tex] L^2 [/tex] and [tex] L_z [/tex]. So you see, among all the states with the same value of [tex] \ell [/tex], there is a nontrivial freedom to construct states that are eigenstates of [tex] L_z [/tex] or [tex] L_x [/tex]. Finally, the fact that [tex] L_z [/tex] and [tex] L_x [/tex] don't commute simple means that you won't be able find to find linear combinations which are eigenstates of [tex] L_z [/tex] and [tex] L_x [/tex].

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Ah, so I misinterpreted (i). Would a true statement be that if [A,B]=0, then the eigenkets of either one of A or B are eigenkets for the other.

Correct? Can it be made stronger?

quasar987 said:
Ah, so I misinterpreted (i). Would a true statement be that if [A,B]=0, then the eigenkets of either one of A or B are eigenkets for the other.

The crucial point is that the above statement is definitely not true; eigenstates of A are in no way guaranteed to be eigenstates of B. The guarantee you do have is much weaker. What it says is that if you make a list of linearly independent eigenstates of A with the same eigenvalue, then you can always make from this list states which are also eigenstates of B (provided A and B commute). Again, it does not mean that every state on your list is automatically an eigenstate of B, only that you can find some combinations which are.

Thank you!

Technically, if [itex] A:D(A)\rightarrow \mbox{Im}(A) [/itex] ,[itex] A:D(B)\rightarrow \mbox{Im}(B) [/itex] AND [itex] D(A) \cap D(B) \neq \emptyset [/itex], then

[tex] AB-BA=0 \Leftrightarrow A(B\psi)=B(A\psi), \forall \in \psi D(A) \cap D(B) \ \mbox{and} \ B\psi \in D(A) , A\psi \in D(B) [/tex].

Daniel.

Related to Commutation relations trouble (basic)

1. What are commutation relations?

Commutation relations are mathematical expressions that describe the relationship between two operators in a quantum system. They specify how the operators act on each other and how they affect the state of the system.

2. Why are commutation relations important?

Commutation relations are important because they help us understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems. They also play a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and the formulation of physical laws.

3. What is the basic commutation relation?

The basic commutation relation, also known as the canonical commutation relation, is [A, B] = AB - BA = iħ, where A and B are operators, [A, B] is the commutator of A and B, and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

4. What does it mean when the commutation relation equals zero?

When the commutation relation between two operators equals zero, it means that the two operators commute. This means that their order does not matter when they act on a state, and therefore they can be measured simultaneously.

5. How do commutation relations relate to uncertainty principle?

Commutation relations and uncertainty principle are closely related. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the value of one observable in a quantum system, the less precisely we can know the value of another observable. This is because their commutation relation is non-zero, indicating that they do not commute and their values cannot be simultaneously measured with perfect accuracy.