Does Commutativity Always Guarantee Shared Eigenkets?

In summary, the discussion revolves around the commutativity and sharing of eigenkets between operators A, B, and C. It is noted that just because A commutes with both B and C does not mean that B and C will also commute. This is only true if A has a non-degenerate spectrum. This is further exemplified by the case where A is the identity operator and B and C are non-commuting operators.
blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Let's denote ## \mathbf{p} ## and ## \Pi ## as the momentum and parity operators respectively. It's known that ## \mathbf{p} ## doesn't commute with ## \Pi ##, so they do not share the same set of eigenkets (plane wave doesn't have parity). But I just calculated that ##[\mathbf{p}^2,\Pi] = 0##, which means kinetic energy and parity operators might share the same eigenkets. While on the other hand, the eigenket of kinetic energy is the same as the eigenket of momentum. Does this mean that commutativity doesn't always guarantee the share of eigenkets? My guess is that this has to do with the degeneracy since the ket ##|\mathbf{p}\rangle## and any other ket ##|\mathbf{p}'\rangle## with ##|\mathbf{p}| = |\mathbf{p}'|## are degenerate eigenkets of kinetic energy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
blue_leaf77 said:
My guess is that this has to do with the degeneracy
Bingo!

That an operator A commutes with both B and C (and thus has common sets of eigenvectors with both) does not mean that B and C commute (nothing states that the sets of eigenvectors are the same), it is only true if A has a non degenerate spectrum.

Further example: Let A be the identity operator and B and C any non-commuting operators.

Likes blue_leaf77
I just realized that what I wrote in the original post is already discussed in the textbook I'm reading, it's just that I stopped at the point beyond which that exact example is pointed out.

Last edited:

Related to Does Commutativity Always Guarantee Shared Eigenkets?

1. What is momentum in physics?

Momentum is a fundamental quantity in physics that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. In other words, it is a measure of how much motion an object has.

2. How is momentum related to the momentum operator?

In quantum mechanics, the momentum operator is a mathematical operator that operates on the wave function of a particle and yields the momentum of that particle. This operator is defined as the derivative of the position operator with respect to time.

3. What is the role of parity in quantum mechanics?

Parity is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the symmetry of a system. It refers to whether a system remains unchanged or reverses under a spatial transformation. In other words, it describes the behavior of a system when its position is mirrored.

4. How are momentum and parity operators related?

The momentum and parity operators are both important operators in quantum mechanics. While the momentum operator describes the momentum of a particle, the parity operator describes the symmetry of a system. They are related through the commutator, which represents the uncertainty in the simultaneous measurement of these two quantities.

5. What is the significance of momentum and parity operators in quantum mechanics?

The momentum and parity operators play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They help us make predictions about the properties and behavior of particles, and their measurements allow us to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.