Communicating with TOS Uhura: My 11-Year-Old's Dream Come True

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
In summary, the opportunity for my child to communicate with TOS Uhura came about through the Make-A-Wish Foundation, which grants wishes to children with life-threatening medical conditions. The process involved contacting the foundation and arranging a virtual meeting with Nichelle Nichols, the actress who played Uhura. My child was ecstatic and overwhelmed with joy during the meeting, as she has been a fan of Star Trek and Uhura for many years. The experience was also educational for her, as she was able to ask questions about Nichelle Nichols' role and experiences as a black woman in the 1960s entertainment industry. Overall, this experience had a profound impact on my child, giving her hope and happiness during a difficult time and showing her that dreams
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
On Saturday, my 11-year-old daughter communicated in-person with Communications Officer (TOS) Uhura.

Likes davenn, OmCheeto and fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
I always remember a dialogue I once had about Nichelle Nichols:

Me: "I have to admit I fell a little for Nichelle Nichols when I was a kid."
Answer: "We all did."
(Just watched the Joan Collins episode :biggrin: right now.)

Likes BillTre

Related to Communicating with TOS Uhura: My 11-Year-Old's Dream Come True

1. How did the opportunity to communicate with TOS Uhura come about?

The opportunity came about through a special event organized by the Make-A-Wish Foundation, which grants wishes to children with life-threatening medical conditions.

2. What was the process like for your child to communicate with TOS Uhura?

The process involved contacting the Make-A-Wish Foundation and sharing my child's wish. They then coordinated with the actress who played TOS Uhura, Nichelle Nichols, to arrange a virtual meeting.

3. How did your child react to meeting TOS Uhura?

My child was ecstatic and overwhelmed with joy. She has been a huge fan of Star Trek and Uhura for many years, so this was a dream come true for her.

4. Was the experience educational for your child?

Yes, the experience was educational for my child. She was able to ask Nichelle Nichols questions about her role as Uhura and her experiences as a black woman in the entertainment industry during the 1960s.

5. What impact did this experience have on your child?

This experience had a profound impact on my child. It gave her a sense of hope and happiness during a difficult time in her life. It also showed her that dreams can come true and that anything is possible with determination and perseverance.