What is your understanding of force?Understanding Force: A Brief Overview

In summary, the most important thing in dealing with force is that F(net)= F(app)- F(res). When a force is exerted on a object, the net force is the result of the applied force and the object's weight. When a race car is accelerating, the net force is the result of the acceleration and the car's weight.
Astronomer107
Hi, I'm in IB physics and I'm having a little trouble since the teacher would rather play computer games than teach us (the book isn't great either). Right now we're working on force and I was wondering if anyone could clarify a few things for me please.I'll just work through some problems and it would be great if someone could tell me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

So, basically, the most important thing in dealing with force is: F(net)= F(app)- F(res).

1. A race car has a mass of 710 kg. It starts from rest and travels 40.0 m in 3.0 seconds. The car is uniformly accelerated during the entire time. What net force is exerted on it?

So, acceleration = F(net)/m

V= d/t ; v = 40.0m/3.0s = 13.3 m/s

V(f)^2 = V(0)^2 + 2ad
(13.3)^2 = 0^2 + 2a (40.0)
176.9 = 80a
a= 2.21 m/s^2

Now, a= F(net)/ m
2.21 m/s^2 = F(net)/710
F(net) = 1569.1 N Is that correct?

2. A 225 kg crate is pushed horizontally with a force of 710 N. If the coefficient of friction is 0.20, calculate the acceleration of the crate.
F(net) = F(app)- F(res); F(app) = 710 N ; F(f)= F(n)M&; F(n) = mg ??

F(n) = 225(9.8) = 2205
F(f) = (0.20)(2205) = 441

F(net) = 710 N - 441 N = 269 N

A = F(net)/M
A = 269 N/ 225 kg
A= 1.2 m/s^2 ? I'm not sure I'm getting this...

52. A block lies on a smooth plane tilted at an angle of 22.0 degrees to the horizontal. (a) Determine the acceleration of teh block as it slides down the plane. (b) If the back starts from the rest 9.10m up the plane from its base, what will be the block's speed when it reaches the bottom of the incline? Ignore friction.

Since the verticle component of this is 9.8 m/s^2, 9.8/sin 22.2= 26.2 m/s^2. Thus, the acceleration of the box
is 26.2 m/s^2, but I don't understand how that can be. How can the acceleration down a slope be greater than gravitational acceleration?? I don't know how to do the next part. I feel like I have a very vague understanding of physics.

THANK YOU!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Astronomer107

1. A race car has a mass of 710 kg. It starts from rest and travels 40.0 m in 3.0 seconds. The car is uniformly accelerated during the entire time. What net force is exerted on it?

So, acceleration = F(net)/m

V= d/t ; v = 40.0m/3.0s = 13.3 m/s
NO! You can't use the formula for constant velocity if the car is accelerating. Use the formula d=Vot + 1/2 at^2 . Us this to find a directly, then continue as you did with Newton's 2nd law.

2. A 225 kg crate is pushed horizontally with a force of 710 N. If the coefficient of friction is 0.20, calculate the acceleration of the crate.
F(net) = F(app)- F(res); F(app) = 710 N ; F(f)= F(n)M&; F(n) = mg ??

F(n) = 225(9.8) = 2205
F(f) = (0.20)(2205) = 441

F(net) = 710 N - 441 N = 269 N

A = F(net)/M
A = 269 N/ 225 kg
A= 1.2 m/s^2 ? I'm not sure I'm getting this...
That one was exactly right.

52. A block lies on a smooth plane tilted at an angle of 22.0 degrees to the horizontal. (a) Determine the acceleration of teh block as it slides down the plane. (b) If the back starts from the rest 9.10m up the plane from its base, what will be the block's speed when it reaches the bottom of the incline? Ignore friction.

Since the verticle component of this is 9.8 m/s^2, 9.8/sin 22.2= 26.2 m/s^2. Thus, the acceleration of the box
is 26.2 m/s^2, but I don't understand how that can be. How can the acceleration down a slope be greater than gravitational acceleration?? I don't know how to do the next part. I feel like I have a very vague understanding of physics.

THANK YOU!
I have to get offline, but this last one suggests that your teacher should be smacked. Hang on for a while...

OK.

In that last one, check your book. THere will be a section where instead of using vertical and horizontal componenets, you instead find the components that are "parallel" and "perpendicular" to the slope of the incline. THis tilted axis is more convenient for problems like this.

So "g" points down, but down is 22 degrees away from the "perpendicular axis." So "g" has a component that is perpendicular and parallel to the incline. THe acceleration down the incline will be the parallel component which is = g sin 22 .
a = 3.7 m/s^2.

THen continue. You actually seem to be getting this more than you think, although I can't believe your teacher plays computer games in class! Are you serious? How does a typical class go for you?

Originally posted by Chi Meson

So "g" points down, but down is 22 degrees away from the "perpendicular axis." So "g" has a component that is perpendicular and parallel to the incline. THe acceleration down the incline will be the parallel component which is = g sin 22 .
a = 3.7 m/s^2.

[/B]

oh, ok. I think I get it. The diagram shows those lines perpendicular and parallel to the slope, but I think I just got confused because gravity had always been the downward component that my teacher never really explained. I have a test tomorrow, so I'm hoping I don't fail. Usually he assigns work in the book (which isn't too clear), then makes us ask questions, but the way he answers them makes us more confused than before. I swear that guy makes up his own equations. The he gives us an assignment and sits at his computer playing solitare. Sometimes we have a pop quiz with 1 or 2 problems that we all never get right I think we really need a teacher who teaches us the material before we are supposed to do it and makes it CLEAR to us. Therefore, I might be here often... THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help!

Originally posted by Astronomer107
The he gives us an assignment and sits at his computer playing solitare.

Ugh. Drop (or mail) an anonymous note off to the principal. Seriously. I hate dead wood.

I'm sorry to hear that. A good physics teacher is hard to get. People who are really good in physics are usually not gifted as teachers. THose who are good at both will usually be teaching at colleges.

And who would in there right mind would pass up an $80,000/year job in favor of a $40,000/year job?

1. What are the different types of forces in IB Physics?

In IB Physics, the main types of forces are contact forces (such as friction and normal force) and non-contact forces (such as gravity and electromagnetic force). Contact forces require physical contact between objects, while non-contact forces act at a distance.

2. How do I calculate the net force in a given situation?

To calculate the net force, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on an object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you can simply add them together. If they are acting in opposite directions, you need to subtract the smaller force from the larger one to find the net force.

3. Can you explain Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are fundamental principles that describe the relationship between force, mass, and motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless a net force acts upon it. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

4. How do I use free body diagrams to solve force problems?

Free body diagrams are diagrams that show all the forces acting on an object. To use them in force problems, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object and draw arrows to represent their magnitude and direction. Then, you can use Newton's Second Law (F=ma) to calculate the net force and solve the problem.

5. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight and mass are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different concepts. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, but weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity. In IB Physics, weight is often calculated using the equation W=mg, where m is the mass of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity.