Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Commentary for "Logarithmic Integrals, Polylogarithms, and associated functions"

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, it is occasionally convenient to express this series in terms of the Zeta function \(\displaystyle \zeta(s)\,\)

\(\displaystyle \zeta(s)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^s}\)

In particular, since

\(\displaystyle \zeta(1)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k}\)

We can re-write the polygamma function series as

\(\displaystyle \psi_0(x)=\zeta(1)-\gamma-\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k-1+x}=\zeta(1)-\gamma-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k+x}
\)

Note that the zeta function is divergent at 1 - where it has a simple pole, and similarly, the infinite series in x that's subtracted from it also diverges, but at a different rate. The end result is that, for finite x not equal to zero or a negative integer, the difference of these two series is a finite limit.
Honestly all that seems to me a little questionable... the series $\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k}$ diverges so that writing $\displaystyle a = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k}$ or something like that is a nonsense. The connection between tha digamma function and the Riemann zeta function do exist and I 'discovered' it some years ago...

There are two different definitions of the digamma function, and precisely...

$\displaystyle \psi(x) = \frac{d}{dx} \ln \Gamma(x),\ \Gamma(x) = \int_{0}^{\infty} t^{x-1}\ e^{- t}\ dt\ (1)$

... and...

$\displaystyle \phi(x) = \frac{d}{dx} \ln x!,\ x! = \int_{0}^{\infty} t^{x}\ e^{- t}\ dt\ (2)$

Although (1) is more common I prefer (2) but in any case the diffence is minimal because is $\displaystyle \phi(x)=\psi(x+1)$. Starting from the Weierstrass product...

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{x!}= e^{\gamma x}\ \prod _{n=1}^{\infty} (1 + \frac{x}{n}) e^{- \frac{x}{n}}\ (3)$

... with symple steps we obtain...

$\displaystyle \lambda(x) = \ln x! = - \gamma\ x - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \{\ln (1+\frac{x}{n}) - \frac{x}{n}\}\ (4)$

Now we are interested to the Taylor expansion of $\displaystyle \lambda(x)$ around x=0 that is...

$\displaystyle \lambda(x) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{\lambda^{(k)} (0)}{k!} x^{k}\ (5)$

The coeffcients are computed deriving (4)...

$\displaystyle \lambda^{\ '} (x) = - \gamma - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\{\frac{1}{n} (1+ \frac{x}{n})^{-1} - \frac{1}{n}\} \implies \lambda^{\ '} (0) = - \gamma$

$\displaystyle \lambda^{\ ''} (x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{2}} (1 + \frac{x}{n})^{-2} \implies \lambda^{\ ''} (0) = \zeta(2)$

... and proceeding we obtain the general result...

$\displaystyle \lambda^{\ (k)} (0) = (-1)^{k} (k-1)!\ \zeta(k)\ (6)$

... so that we arrive to write...

$\displaystyle \lambda(x) = - \gamma\ x + \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^{k} \zeta(k) \frac{x^{k}}{k}\ (7)$

... and finally...

$\displaystyle \phi(x) = \frac{d}{d x} \lambda (x) = - \gamma + \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^{k} \zeta(k)\ x^{k-1}\ (8)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:

DreamWeaver

Sep 16, 2013
I certainly take your point, Chisigma, and for the most part I agree. But then again, it's not uncommon to see integrals of the form

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty}\frac{p(x)-q(x)}{x}\,dx=???\)

say, where if separated, the integrals

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty}\frac{p(x)}{x}\,dx\)

and

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty}\frac{p(x)}{x}\,dx\)

are both divergent, even though the difference might well be a finite limit, similar to the series I used.

Also, I just meant that occasionally, when dealing with differences of certain polygamma-related series, it's notationally convenient to write them in this simpler form...

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Great tutorial , marked on my reading list !