Combustion explained by physics

In summary: Thanks for the help!If you wan't the nitty gritty details they are explainable, but your explanation is correct. Thanks for the help!
iwannalearn1
How does physics play into combustion? Can it be used to explain why certain metals/materials burn or melt? I don't understand how combustion can be explained in terms of physics instead of chemistry. Also, what are some things that can be burned that result in a unique reaction due to physics principles? Any clarifications to any or all of those questions would be much appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
iwannalearn1 said:
How does physics play into combustion? Can it be used to explain why certain metals/materials burn or melt? I don't understand how combustion can be explained in terms of physics instead of chemistry. Also, what are some things that can be burned that result in a unique reaction due to physics principles? Any clarifications to any or all of those questions would be much appreciated, thanks!

Chemisty IS physics. The basic laws of science are used in both. Physics is just a term for the particular study of the universe in general, from the very small to the very large and everything in between. Chemistry is much more focused on the interactions of elements and molecules and strictly deals with them.

Well, that's my explanation in a nutshell. I'm sure there's a much more precise definition for both.

So I could use electron jumps to explain why lithium burns red when ignited? Is that physics?

iwannalearn1 said:
So I could use electron jumps to explain why lithium burns red when ignited? Is that physics?

I'm not sure what context you are using, but any correct way that you describe how it burns red WILL be physics AND chemistry. However, you cannot use chemistry to describe how the moon orbits the earth, while you can, and must, use physics.

I'm trying to look for a specific physics principle that plays a part in combustion, but I understand what you're saying. Thanks for the help.

iwannalearn1 said:
I'm trying to look for a specific physics principle that plays a part in combustion, but I understand what you're saying. Thanks for the help.

I'm not understanding what you mean by that. What does chemistry say about Lithium burning red?

I'm not necessarily looking for a specific physics principle to explain why lithium burns red, just to explain the combustion process in general.

iwannalearn1 said:
I'm not necessarily looking for a specific physics principle to explain why lithium burns red, just to explain the combustion process in general.

Alright, well what does chemistry say about that?

During the combustion process, energy is given off and electrons jump to different levels. When they jump, they emit light particles called photons. Depending on the metals, different colors are released.

iwannalearn1 said:
During the combustion process, energy is given off and electrons jump to different levels. When they jump, they emit light particles called photons. Depending on the metals, different colors are released.

That is pretty much correct. In chemistry and physics.

If you wan't the nitty gritty details they are explainable, but your explanation is correct.

Related to Combustion explained by physics

1. What is combustion?

Combustion is a chemical reaction between a fuel and an oxidant, typically oxygen, that produces heat, light, and various byproducts such as carbon dioxide and water vapor.

2. How does combustion occur?

Combustion occurs when a fuel is heated to its ignition temperature, causing it to release energy in the form of heat. This heat then breaks down the fuel molecules, allowing them to combine with oxygen from the air and produce new molecules, releasing even more energy.

3. What factors affect the rate of combustion?

The rate of combustion is affected by several factors, including the availability of oxygen, the type and amount of fuel, the temperature and pressure of the surroundings, and the presence of any catalysts.

4. How is combustion explained by physics?

In physics, combustion is explained by the principles of thermodynamics, which describe the transfer of heat and energy between different forms. Combustion is also explained by chemical kinetics, which studies the rates and mechanisms of chemical reactions.

5. What are the potential hazards of combustion?

The potential hazards of combustion include the release of toxic byproducts, such as carbon monoxide, and the production of smoke, which can lead to respiratory issues. Combustion can also cause fires and explosions if not properly controlled or if the fuel is highly flammable.