Combining thermo and mechanical design

In summary, the conversation discusses the pursuit of a career direction in the field of mechanical engineering that combines interests in thermodynamics and mechanical design. The individual is particularly interested in energy systems, but is unsure if this field will also accommodate their interests in dynamics, structures, and materials. Suggestions from others include heat sink design and industries such as auto, aerospace, power generation, and nuclear. It is noted that a degree in mechanical engineering may not cover all aspects of dynamics and mechanical vibration in the "real world".
mecheng212
Hey everybody!

I'm in my Junior year of undergraduate Mechanical Engineering and am trying to figure out what direction to focus my studies (mainly what industry to focus my pursuit for next job/internship)...

Does anyone know of any fields/industries where an engineer can utilize interests in both Thermodynamics AND Mechanical Design (system dynamics, vibrations, deformable materials...)?

I notice most of my peers who have an interest in these fields wind up tailoring there focus around one or the other. I've done some Thermo-related research at school in the past, as well as mechanical design/dynamically-loaded structures analysis work in my last internship. Haha unfortunately I loved both...!

I'm very interested in energy systems (specifically power generation, power plant design/development) but it seems that while it utilizes a significant amount of the thermal/fluid engineering side of things, there may not be a place for the dynamics/structures/materials interests... (anyone have experience in the field that might set me straight on this largely uninformed assumption??) :)

Thanks in advance for any help! I'd really appreciate any feedback/feelings/thoughts/experiences on the matter!

Physics news on Phys.org
Heat sink design or any sort of industrial heat dissipation comes to mind.

The obvious answer is anything to do with heat engines. Industries like auto, aerospace, power generation, nuclear, etc.

You probably won't study much about the dynamics of rotating machinery (including blade vibration etc), or the interactions of mechanical vibration and aerodynamic loads, in a first degree course, so you might not have realized how complicated this can get in the "real world".

Related to Combining thermo and mechanical design

1. What is the purpose of combining thermo and mechanical design?

The purpose of combining thermo and mechanical design is to optimize the performance and efficiency of a system by considering both thermal and mechanical aspects simultaneously. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the system's behavior and allows for more accurate and efficient design.

2. How does thermo and mechanical design affect the overall performance of a system?

Thermo and mechanical design both play crucial roles in the performance of a system. Thermo design focuses on the transfer of heat and energy within the system, while mechanical design deals with the movement and structural integrity of the system. A well-balanced combination of these two designs leads to improved performance and efficiency.

3. What are some common challenges when combining thermo and mechanical design?

Some common challenges when combining thermo and mechanical design include managing the trade-offs between thermal and mechanical requirements, determining the appropriate materials for the system, and accurately predicting the behavior of the system under varying thermal and mechanical conditions.

4. What are some methods used for integrating thermo and mechanical design?

There are several methods used for integrating thermo and mechanical design, including analytical methods such as finite element analysis (FEA) and computational fluid dynamics (CFD), as well as experimental methods such as thermal and mechanical testing. These methods allow for a comprehensive understanding of the system's behavior and help in optimizing its design.

5. How can combining thermo and mechanical design benefit the development of new technologies?

Combining thermo and mechanical design allows for a more efficient and accurate design process, leading to improved performance and efficiency of new technologies. It also enables the development of more complex and innovative systems that integrate both thermal and mechanical aspects, pushing the boundaries of technology and advancing our capabilities in various fields.