Combined Electric field for two charges using electric potential

In summary, -The electric potential at the point P which lies a distance z on the z-axis from their centre is found to be -Qz / (2pi*epsilon(z^2+ (d/2)^2)^(3/2)) times the unit vector k.-However, this does not look right, as the electric field should point upwards due to the positive charges on the points.
gralla55

Homework Statement

Two equal and positive point charges Q1 and Q2 are a distance d from each other on the x-axis. Find the electric potential at the point P which lies a distance z on the z-axis from their centre. Then find the Electric field at the point, and then find the force F on a charge q placed there.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the charges are equal, and the distance to the point is the same for both of them, I figured I could just find the potential due to one of the charges, and multiply it by 2. When it comes to the second part, I just took the derivative of the potential and multiplied it times a unit vector. Then I tought the unit vector should point in the z-direction, because the horizontal components of the field will cancel each other out.

But thinking about it, I don't think that will give the correct answer, as some part of the field as stated will disappear... I've attached a picture of my described attempt at a solution.

Would appreciate any help on this one!

Attachments

• 20130315_021216.jpg
    20130315_021216.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
gralla55 said:

Homework Statement

Two equal and positive point charges Q1 and Q2 are a distance d from each other on the x-axis. Find the electric potential at the point P which lies a distance z on the z-axis from their centre. Then find the Electric field at the point, and then find the force F on a charge q placed there.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the charges are equal, and the distance to the point is the same for both of them, I figured I could just find the potential due to one of the charges, and multiply it by 2. When it comes to the second part, I just took the derivative of the potential and multiplied it times a unit vector. Then I tought the unit vector should point in the z-direction, because the horizontal components of the field will cancel each other out.

But thinking about it, I don't think that will give the correct answer, as some part of the field as stated will disappear... I've attached a picture of my described attempt at a solution.

Would appreciate any help on this one!
Along the z axis, the potential due to the two charges depends only upon z, so [itex]\displaystyle \ E_z=-\,\frac{dV}{dz}\ .[/itex] Also, the E field along the z-axis has only a z-component.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply! Was the potential I found at the point P the correct one? And if so, to find E at that point I just differentiate that expression with regards to z?

gralla55 said:
Thank you for your reply! Was the potential I found at the point P the correct one? And if so, to find E at that point I just differentiate that expression with regards to z?
There was a typo, leaving out a negative sign. I have since fixed it.

So I took the negative partial derivative of my potential with respect to z, and got the result:

E = -Qz / (2pi*epsilon(z^2 + (d/2)^2)^(3/2)) times the unit vector k.

But this does not look right... Both charges are positive, so the electric field should point upwards. Was there something wrong with my potential function?

gralla55 said:
So I took the negative partial derivative of my potential with respect to z, and got the result:

E = -Qz / (2pi*epsilon(z^2 + (d/2)^2)^(3/2)) times the unit vector k.

But this does not look right... Both charges are positive, so the electric field should point upwards. Was there something wrong with my potential function?
You should get an additional negative sign from taking the derivative.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{du}\left(u^2+a\right)^{-1/2}=2u(-1/2)\left(u^2+a\right)^{-3/2}[/itex]

You are correct! Thanks alot!

... and again, all is right with the world .

Related to Combined Electric field for two charges using electric potential

What is the formula for the combined electric field for two charges using electric potential?

The formula for the combined electric field for two charges using electric potential is E = (k*q1/r^2) + (k*q2/r^2), where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of two particles, and r is the distance between the two particles.

How is the direction of the combined electric field determined?

The direction of the combined electric field is determined by the direction of the individual electric fields created by each charge. The direction of the combined electric field at any point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields at that point.

When is the combined electric field at a point zero?

The combined electric field at a point is zero when the electric fields of the two charges cancel each other out. This occurs when the two charges have equal magnitudes and are located at equal distances from the point.

What is the significance of the combined electric field for two charges using electric potential?

The combined electric field for two charges using electric potential helps us understand the interaction between two charged particles. It allows us to calculate the strength and direction of the electric field at any point between the two charges, which is important in understanding the behavior of electrically charged particles.

Can the combined electric field be used to determine the force between two charges?

Yes, the combined electric field can be used to determine the force between two charges. The force between two charges is given by Coulomb's law, which uses the electric field and the distance between the two charges to calculate the force. Therefore, by knowing the combined electric field, we can calculate the force between the two charges.