Combinatorics: Choosing Job Applicants

In summary: P(8,3)...is correct. Right?In summary, there are three judges who each produce their own ranking of the eight applicants. The question is asking how many ways the judges can produce their top three rankings. Therefore, the solution is 3 * P(8,3).
Shoney45

Homework Statement

There are eight applicants for a job, and three different judges who each rank the three applicants. Applicants are chosen if an donly if they appear in the top three in all three rankings.

a) How many ways can the three judges produce their three rankings?

b) What is the probability tha tMr. Dickens, one of the applicants, being chosen in a random set of three rankings?

Homework Equations

P(n,r) and C(n,r)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) = 3 * C(8,3)

b) I am feeling really uneasy about my solution, but I think that if a judge picks Mr.
Dickens, then he has C(7,2) ways to pick the remaining applicants. So the probability
of Mr. Dickens being chosen in a random set of three rankings is [3*C(7,2)]/[3*C(8,3)]

Physics news on Phys.org
a) is wrong. Each judge can pick the 9 candidates in any order. How many ways are there to pick them for each judge?

Dick said:
a) is wrong. Each judge can pick the 9 candidates in any order. How many ways are there to pick them for each judge?

Sorry, but I guess I'm really unclear now. I'm not sure if your number '9' was a typo or not. But if it was a typo, then I am not sure where the number '9' is coming from.

If it was a typo, and was supposed to be '8', then since I started this thread I have become burdened by wondering if the answer is C(8,3)^3. But since one judge can pick eight applicants in one way, that seems independent of what judges two and three do. That is why I initially added them together to get 3*C(8,3).

I'm honestly just not sure which one to use.

Shoney45 said:
Sorry, but I guess I'm really unclear now. I'm not sure if your number '9' was a typo or not. But if it was a typo, then I am not sure where the number '9' is coming from.

If it was a typo, and was supposed to be '8', then since I started this thread I have become burdened by wondering if the answer is C(8,3)^3. But since one judge can pick eight applicants in one way, that seems independent of what judges two and three do. That is why I initially added them together to get 3*C(8,3).

I'm honestly just not sure which one to use.

Sure, I meant 8. Sorry. But each judge picks 8 candidates in a specific order. Isn't that P(8,8)?

Dick said:
Sure, I meant 8. Sorry. But each judge picks 8 candidates in a specific order. Isn't that P(8,8)?

That makes sense to me. But since 'a' is asking me "How many ways can the three judges produce their three rankings", I am unsure what P(8,8) buys me. So that is why I am saying it is either 3*C(8,3) or C(8,3)^3, since anyone of the eight applicants can wind up in anyone of the top three spaces.

So I'm totally unclear then how P(8,8) helps me out.

Shoney45 said:
That makes sense to me. But since 'a' is asking me "How many ways can the three judges produce their three rankings", I am unsure what P(8,8) buys me. So that is why I am saying it is either 3*C(8,3) or C(8,3)^3, since anyone of the eight applicants can wind up in anyone of the top three spaces.

So I'm totally unclear then how P(8,8) helps me out.

The total number of ways the judges can produce their rankings doesn't depend on who is in the top 3.

Dick said:
The total number of ways the judges can produce their rankings doesn't depend on who is in the top 3.

Okay, I think I may be getting what you are saying. But I think I still have a gap in my understanding. You're saying that the total number of rankings of the eight applicants = 8!, or P(8,8). But it seems that there can be repetitive ways to have the top three rankings.

If the names of the applicants are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 then,

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 1,2,3,4,6,5,8,7 are different rankings of the eight applicants, but they both have 1,2,3 in the top three positions. Let us call those rankings x and y. So since question 'a' is asking "How many ways can the three judges produce their three rankings?", if I say the answer is 8!, then aren't I counting x and y twice since the top three rankings are identical?

Shoney45 said:
Okay, I think I may be getting what you are saying. But I think I still have a gap in my understanding. You're saying that the total number of rankings of the eight applicants = 8!, or P(8,8). But it seems that there can be repetitive ways to have the top three rankings.

If the names of the applicants are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 then,

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 1,2,3,4,6,5,8,7 are different rankings of the eight applicants, but they both have 1,2,3 in the top three positions. Let us call those rankings x and y. So since question 'a' is asking "How many ways can the three judges produce their three rankings?", if I say the answer is 8!, then aren't I counting x and y twice since the top three rankings are identical?

I guess it depends on how you read 'three' in the problem. If you read it as how many ways can a judge rank the top three then sure, it's P(8,3). It took it to mean how many ways can a judge rank all eight candidates, then a single judge counts for P(8,8). Cubed, of course, since there are three judges.

Dick said:
I guess it depends on how you read 'three' in the problem. If you read it as how many ways can a judge rank the top three then sure, it's P(8,3). It took it to mean how many ways can a judge rank all eight candidates, then a single judge counts for P(8,8). Cubed, of course, since there are three judges.

Okay, so presuming the question is asking about how the judges can rank the top three, then my solution for 'b' is that I go ahead and automatically put Mr. Dickens in the top three rankings of all judges, and that leaves me with P(7,2)^3.

Thus, the probability of Mr. Jenkins being chosen is P(7,2)^3/P(8,3)^3. Does that all look about right?

Shoney45 said:
Okay, so presuming the question is asking about how the judges can rank the top three, then my solution for 'b' is that I go ahead and automatically put Mr. Dickens in the top three rankings of all judges, and that leaves me with P(7,2)^3.

Thus, the probability of Mr. Jenkins being chosen is P(7,2)^3/P(8,3)^3. Does that all look about right?

Not quite. Dickens could be first, second or third.

Dick said:
Not quite. Dickens could be first, second or third.

So if I place him in first place, that would be P(7,2). I'm getting mixed up for the second and third places. If I place Mr. Dickens in 2nd place, then is it still P(7,2), and likewise for third place. So why wouldn't the numberator be P(7,2)^3? Plus, that is just the choices for one judge. So would I have to cube P(7,2)^3 to get [P(7,2)^3]^3

Shoney45 said:
So if I place him in first place, that would be P(7,2). I'm getting mixed up for the second and third places. If I place Mr. Dickens in 2nd place, then is it still P(7,2), and likewise for third place. So why wouldn't the numberator be P(7,2)^3? Plus, that is just the choices for one judge. So would I have to cube P(7,2)^3 to get [P(7,2)^3]^3

If you consider a single judges choices, if Dickens is first there are P(7,2) choices for the other slots. Ditto for second and third. They are all different cases. I make that 3*P(7,2).

Thank you for your help with this problem.

Related to Combinatorics: Choosing Job Applicants

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects or events according to certain rules or constraints.

2. How does combinatorics apply to choosing job applicants?

In the context of choosing job applicants, combinatorics can be used to determine the number of possible combinations of applicants based on specific criteria, such as skills, experience, and qualifications.

3. What is the most common combinatorial method used in choosing job applicants?

The most common combinatorial method used in choosing job applicants is the combination formula, which calculates the number of ways to choose a subset of items from a larger set without regard to order.

4. How can combinatorics help in making hiring decisions?

Combinatorics can help in making hiring decisions by providing a systematic and objective approach to evaluating and comparing applicants based on their qualifications and skills. It also allows for a fair and unbiased selection process.

5. Are there any limitations to using combinatorics in choosing job applicants?

Yes, there are limitations to using combinatorics in choosing job applicants. It does not take into account intangible factors such as personality, work ethic, and cultural fit, which can also impact a candidate's suitability for a job. Additionally, it assumes that all candidates possess the same level of competence, which may not always be the case.