Combinatorics Cameron - Lucas' Theorem Proof

In summary, the proof of Lucas' Theorem involves showing that if m = cp + a and n = dp + b, then (m choose n) ≡ (c choose d) * (a choose b) (mod p), which is sufficient to prove the original theorem. This step is known as induction and once proven, the theorem becomes a corollary.
RiceRiceRice
Combinatorics Cameron -- Lucas' Theorem Proof

Hi everybody --

Im currently going through Peter Cameron's combinatorics book, and I'm having trouble understanding a step in the proof of Lucas' Theorem, given on page 28 for those of you with the book.

The theorem states for p prime,

m = a0 + a1p + . . . + akpk
n = b0 + b1p + . . . + bkpk

where 0 ≤ ai, bi < p for i = 0, . . ., k -1. Then:

(m choose n ) ≡ [itex]\prod[/itex] (ai choose bi ) (mod p), where the product is taken from i = 0 to i = k.

The proof then states:

It suffices to show that, if m = cp + a and n = dp + b, where 0 ≤ a, b < p, then

(m choose n ) [itex]\equiv[/itex] (c choose d) * (a choose b) (mod p) FOR

a = a0
b = b0
c = a1 + . . . + akpk-1
d = b1 + . . . + bkpk-1

I understand the proof of this statement, but I don't know why proving this is sufficient to proving the original theorem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org

It is the step of induction. Once it is proven, the theorem becomes a corollary.

Related to Combinatorics Cameron - Lucas' Theorem Proof

What is Combinatorics Cameron - Lucas' Theorem Proof?

Combinatorics Cameron - Lucas' Theorem Proof is a mathematical theorem that provides a formula for calculating the number of ways to choose a certain number of objects from a larger set of objects.

What is the significance of Combinatorics Cameron - Lucas' Theorem Proof?

Combinatorics Cameron - Lucas' Theorem Proof is significant because it can be used to solve a wide range of combinatorial problems, including those related to counting and probability.

What is the proof for Combinatorics Cameron - Lucas' Theorem?

The proof for Combinatorics Cameron - Lucas' Theorem is based on the concept of binomial coefficients and involves the use of mathematical induction.

What are some applications of Combinatorics Cameron - Lucas' Theorem Proof?

Combinatorics Cameron - Lucas' Theorem Proof has many applications in fields such as computer science, statistics, and economics. It is commonly used in problems related to combinations, permutations, and probability.

What are some related theorems to Combinatorics Cameron - Lucas' Theorem Proof?

Some related theorems to Combinatorics Cameron - Lucas' Theorem Proof include Pascal's Triangle, Vandermonde's Identity, and the Binomial Theorem. These theorems also involve binomial coefficients and have applications in combinatorics and algebra.