Combinatorics and Graph Theory- Harris, Hurst, Mossinghoff

In summary, combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting, arranging, and selecting objects or elements without considering their specific properties. Graph theory, on the other hand, studies the properties and relationships of networks represented by mathematical structures called graphs. These two fields are closely related, as graphs can be used to solve combinatorial problems and combinatorial techniques are often used in graph theory. Some real-world applications of combinatorics and graph theory include computer science, social network analysis, operations research, and genetics. The book "Combinatorics and Graph Theory" by Harris, Hurst, and Mossinghoff is accessible to readers with varying levels of mathematical knowledge.
SrVishi
Hello, I am a student interested in pure mathematics, and am considering giving this book a try. I was wondering what you all think if this book as I have it in my possession. Is it good? If not, is there any very rigorous (I can handle Rudin Analysis rigor) discrete textbook, like one that proves this like the combinatorics sum and product rules? Any suggestions would be nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump

Related to Combinatorics and Graph Theory- Harris, Hurst, Mossinghoff

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting, arranging, and selecting objects or elements without considering their specific properties.

2. What is graph theory?

Graph theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of networks, which are represented by mathematical structures called graphs.

3. How are combinatorics and graph theory related?

Combinatorics and graph theory are closely related fields, as graphs can be used to represent and analyze combinatorial problems. Combinatorial techniques, such as counting and permutations, are also often used in graph theory to solve problems.

4. What are some real-world applications of combinatorics and graph theory?

Combinatorics and graph theory have many practical applications, including in computer science, social network analysis, operations research, and genetics. They are also used in designing efficient communication networks, scheduling tasks, and analyzing voting systems.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to understand this book?

While a basic understanding of mathematical concepts is helpful, the book "Combinatorics and Graph Theory" by Harris, Hurst, and Mossinghoff is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for readers with varying levels of mathematical knowledge.