What Is the Most Rigorous Combinatorics Book Available?

In summary: These books are highly recommended for a thorough understanding of combinatorics in relation to set theory.
SrVishi
Hi, I am trying to find a completely rigorous book on combinatorics. For example, one that states the sum and product counting principles in terms of set theory and proves them, treats permutations as a bijection from a set onto itself, etc. Many don't even explain the reasoning behind those principles, taking them as mere informal facts, so rigorous set theoretic definitions and proofs could at least help my intuition. It seems that even those that try to be rigorous don't live up to it. For example, some don't prove the pigeonhole principle, or do it with informal reasoning in terms of bins/balls. Other times, the attempts at "proofs" are just plain "handwavy." Could someone recommend me a good book? Thanks in advance for any response.

Physics news on Phys.org
A combinatorics book isn't what you want, you want a set theory book.

SrVishi said:
Hi, I am trying to find a completely rigorous book on combinatorics. For example, one that states the sum and product counting principles in terms of set theory and proves them, treats permutations as a bijection from a set onto itself, etc. Many don't even explain the reasoning behind those principles, taking them as mere informal facts, so rigorous set theoretic definitions and proofs could at least help my intuition. It seems that even those that try to be rigorous don't live up to it. For example, some don't prove the pigeonhole principle, or do it with informal reasoning in terms of bins/balls. Other times, the attempts at "proofs" are just plain "handwavy." Could someone recommend me a good book? Thanks in advance for any response.

Try either Kunnen's Set Theory or Jech's Set Theory.

Related to What Is the Most Rigorous Combinatorics Book Available?

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects or elements in a finite set.

2. What makes a combinatorics book rigorous?

A rigorous combinatorics book should provide clear and logical proofs for all theorems and propositions presented, as well as include challenging exercises and examples to deepen understanding of the concepts.

3. Is combinatorics a difficult subject?

Combinatorics can be challenging for some students due to its abstract nature and reliance on mathematical reasoning. However, with practice and a solid understanding of fundamental principles, it can be a rewarding and fascinating subject.

4. How can I apply combinatorics in real life?

Combinatorics has various applications in fields such as computer science, statistics, and economics. It can be used to solve problems involving permutations, combinations, and probability, making it a valuable tool in decision-making and problem-solving.

5. What are some recommended prerequisites for studying combinatorics?

A strong foundation in algebra, calculus, and discrete mathematics is essential for understanding combinatorics. Familiarity with proof techniques and basic counting principles is also helpful.