Combination problem without replacement

• Thread starter torquerotates
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary: You are not picking two balls at the same time. You are picking them one after another. In summary, the probability of picking two balls of the same color from a box containing 4 black balls and 6 white balls, after randomly selecting 2 balls without replacement, is (C(4,2)+C(6,2))/C(10,2) or (6/10)(5/9)+(4/10)(3/9)=8/15. Additionally, the probability of picking one black ball and one white ball in any order is (C(4,1)C(6,1))/C(10,2) or (6/10)(4/9)+(4/10)(6/
torquerotates

Homework Statement

a box contains 4 black balls and 6 white balls. After randomly selecting 2 balls without replacement, what is the probability that both are the same color.

Homework Equations

C(n,k)=(n!)/(k!(n-k)!)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just guessing here but,

P=(C(4,2)C(6,2))/C(10,2)= (6x5x4x3)/(2x10x9)

The result makes sense I guess. I mean, the probability of picking 2 black balls is (6x5)/(10X9) because the first pick generates a probability of 6/10 and the second pick is out of 9 balls and the possible events is the first 6 times the remaining 5. The same goes for the white balls. And using that logic, it makes sense that the probability is just all the possible events multiplied divided by the twice the overall outcomes( twice because there are 9x10 outcomes for picking 2 of either white or black so twice when the whole picture is taken into account? IDK.) Is my logic correct or did I screw this up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your value of P is larger than 1. That should tell you something. The numerator should be the number of ways of choosing two white balls PLUS the number of ways of choosing two black balls (and the denominator is the number of ways of choosing any two balls). So don't you want C(6,2)+C(4,2) in the numerator?

I was thinking about adding them. But I don't know why.

torquerotates said:
I was thinking about adding them. But I don't know why.

Because you are trying to count the total number of ways to successfully choose two balls of the same color. C(6,2) for one color, C(4,2) for the other.

ah, I see. So when dealing with the same color, you multiply right? For example, if I wanted to find the probability of getting 2 of the same color in a row, then it would be, for black (4/10)(3/9) or C(4,2)/C(10,2).

Sure, and for white probability C(6,2)/C(10,2). Adding that to black, total (C(4,2)+C(6,2))/C(10,2).

Ok another thing that I'm confused about is multiplying among different sets. For example, If I want to find the probability of getting a white and a black. I would just multiply them, (6/10)(4/9) or (4/10)(6/9) depending on the order. But the problem is that I can also use combinations. (C(4,1)C(6,1))/C(10,2)=(2x6x4)/(9x10) which is not equal to what I have earlier.

The probability of both the same is 7/15. Not the same then must be 8/15. C(4,1)C(6,1))/C(10,2)=8/15. Good so far. (6/10)(4/9)=4/15. (4/10)(6/9)=4/15. If I add the two order possibilities I still get 8/15. I don't see the problem. The difference is that in the first case you need two black OR two white. In the second case you need one black AND one white. OR=+, AND=*.

(6/10)(4/9)=4/15. (4/10)(6/9)=4/15. If I add the two order possibilities I still get 8/15.

I'm kinda confused by this statement. My logic is that since( say I pick black first) I pick black, the probability would be 6/10, but since there is only 9 balls left, the chance of getting 1 white out of 9 remaining balls is 4/9. So this means that I can interpret this picking black AND picking white. Presumably the order doesn't matter since picking black first and then white is the same as white and then black. Sequentially, it would be 6ways times 4ways all over 10 ways times 9 ways. that why it think its weird that C(4,1)C(6,1))/C(10,2)=/= 4/15

If you pick black first the odds are 4/15. If you pick white first the odds are 4/15. The two cases are mutually exclusive. You can't do them both at the same time. You have to add them. If you calculate things that way, you are assuming an order. So order does matter.

Related to Combination problem without replacement

1. What is a combination problem without replacement?

A combination problem without replacement is a mathematical problem that involves selecting a certain number of items from a larger set without replacing the items that have already been chosen. This means that once an item is selected, it cannot be chosen again for the remaining selections.

2. How is the formula for calculating combinations without replacement derived?

The formula for calculating combinations without replacement is derived from the concept of factorial and the fundamental principle of counting. It is expressed as nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n represents the total number of items and r represents the number of items to be selected.

3. Can you give an example of a combination problem without replacement?

One example of a combination problem without replacement is selecting a team of 3 players from a group of 10 players. In this case, the order in which the players are chosen does not matter, and once a player is selected, they cannot be chosen again for the remaining spots on the team.

4. How is a combination problem without replacement different from a problem with replacement?

In a combination problem without replacement, once an item is selected, it is removed from the available options for the remaining selections. This is different from a problem with replacement, where items can be selected multiple times, and therefore the number of available options remains the same for each selection.

5. What are some real-world applications of combination problems without replacement?

Combination problems without replacement are commonly used in various fields such as statistics, probability, and data analysis. They can be applied to situations like selecting samples for research studies, creating lottery numbers, or choosing a jury for a trial.