Combination & Distribution: Solving for Musical Instrument Assignments

• Thread starter Glen Maverick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary, six musical instruments are available for loan. Assuming all are loaned, in how many different ways can these be assigned to the four musicians in the graduate music ensemble such that each instrument is loaned to one musician, each musician gets at least one instrument and no musician has more than three instruments on loan?Combination equation:The Attempt at a Solution:At first, I tried to solve this problem based on other similar problem's solution. Here's how I tried:There are two possibilities:a - a student having 3 instruments and others have only one.b - two students having two instruments and the rest have only one.And Since two events I
Glen Maverick
Combination & distribution

Homework Statement

Six musical instruments are available for loan. Assuming all are loaned, in how many different ways can these be assigned to the four musicians in the graduate music ensemble such that each instrument is loaned to one musician, each musician gets at least one instrument and no musician has more than three instruments on loan? Give answer as a whole number.

Homework Equations

Combination equation

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, I tried to solve this problem based on other similar problem's solution.
Here's how I tried:
There are two possibilities:
a - a student having 3 instruments and others have only one.
b - two students having two instruments and the rest have only one.

event a:[C(4,1) x C(6,3) x C(3,1) x C(3,1) x C(3,1) divided by 46]
event b:[C(4,1) x C(6,2) x C(4,2) x C(2,1) x C(1,1) divided by 46]

And Since two events I showed above are mutually exclusive, I can do like this: a+b.
Is this the right procedure? Please check for me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Glen! :smile:
Glen Maverick said:
There are two possibilities:
a - a student having 3 instruments and others have only one.

And Since two events I showed above are mutually exclusive, I can do like this: a+b.
Is this the right procedure? Please check for me.

Yes. :smile:
event a:[C(4,1) x C(6,3) x C(3,1) x C(3,1) x C(3,1) divided by 46]
event b:[C(4,1) x C(6,2) x C(4,2) x C(2,1) x C(1,1) divided by 46]

No.

event a is ok up to C(4,1) x C(6,3) …

that's the number of ways of choosing the student who gets 3, times the number of ways of giving him 3.

But now you have only 3 left, and you need the number of ways of giving them to one each of 3, and that is not C(3,1) x C(3,1) x C(3,1), is it? :wink:

Try again! :smile:

Oh! Now I get it. C(4,1) x C(6,3) x C(3,1) x C(3,1) x C(3,1) divided by 4^6 is not right, because if one of the student picks 1 among three, the leftover would be two.
So. C(4,1) x C(6,3) x C(3,1) x C(2,1) x C(1,1) divided by 4^6
And Have I got right in the event b?

Glen Maverick said:
Oh! Now I get it. C(4,1) x C(6,3) x C(3,1) x C(3,1) x C(3,1) divided by 4^6 is not right, because if one of the student picks 1 among three, the leftover would be two.
So. C(4,1) x C(6,3) x C(3,1) x C(2,1) x C(1,1) divided by 4^6

That's it! :smile:
And Have I got right in the event b?

No, I don't really follow what you've done there. :redface:

Thank you so much for checking for me!

event b:[C(4,1) x C(6,2) x C(4,2) x C(2,1) x C(1,1) divided by 4^6]
First student is chosen among 4, and he or she chooses two instuments from 6. Second student also choses 2, but among 4, since two is already taken by the first student. And what left is 2 instruments. And two students are left. They take one each from the leftover. That is why I did C(6,2) x C(4,2) x C(2,1) x C(1,1).

(just got up :zzz: …)

You haven't described how the second student is chosen.

You need to choose two students to get two instruments, and then you need to choose four instruments to go to those two students. Then you need to count the ways of dividing those four instruments among those two, and also the other two instruments among the other two. :smile:

Now I understand it! I was quite troubling with this kind of problems. Sorry for the late reply... Thank you so much for helping me. :) Have a good day!

Related to Combination & Distribution: Solving for Musical Instrument Assignments

1. What is the combination problem?

The combination problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining the number of ways in which a set of objects can be combined or arranged, without repetition, in a specific order or group size.

2. How do I solve a combination problem?

To solve a combination problem, you can use the formula nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n represents the total number of objects and r represents the number of objects being selected. You can also use a calculator or tree diagram to solve more complex combination problems.

3. What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

Combinations and permutations are both mathematical concepts that involve arranging objects. However, combinations do not take into account the order in which the objects are arranged, while permutations do. In other words, combinations are unordered, while permutations are ordered.

4. Can you provide an example of a combination problem?

Sure, an example of a combination problem is: How many different ways can a group of 5 people be chosen from a total of 10 people? The solution would be 10C5 = 10! / 5!(10-5)! = 252 ways.

5. When is it appropriate to use combinations in real life?

Combinations can be used in many real-life scenarios, such as determining the number of possible combinations of ingredients for a recipe, selecting a winning lottery ticket, or creating a password with a combination lock. In general, combinations are useful whenever you need to count the number of ways in which a group of objects can be arranged or selected without repetition.