Colour of engineering drawing board, sit or stand?

• Thread starter user079622
  • Start date
user079622
Is any reason why proffesional engineering drawing board are all white, wouldnt be better if it is brown so more contrast in paper and background?
Is it easier to seat or stand while drafting?
gineer-working-panel-board-indoors-260nw-430336285.jpg

18865542_master.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why is topic is moved, this is engineering topic?

user079622 said:
Why is topic is moved, this is engineering topic?
No, it is a simple discussion, not involving engineering calculations. And what do you mean by the word "seat" in your title?

Oh, I see this now in your OP:
user079622 said:
I think you mean "sit or stand".

Likes Vanadium 50
A related question: Does ANYONE still use these for technical drawings?

Our lab gave one (the only one) away in about 1995. Switched it to a light table for checking PCB layouts. Then we got rid of that about 10 years later.

On a related, related note: This december is the 41st anniversary of the first version of AutoCAD. Although that was certainly not the first CAD SW.

PS - This takes me back to the days of hand drawn schematics on vellum and blueprint machines. I just caught the tail end of that time. Then I gave the prints to a draftsman who put it in a PCB CAD program for us. Really inefficient by today's standards. It's funny how you can get nostalgic about things that weren't so great, like the smell of ammonia at the blueprint machine.

Last edited:
Likes Rive, russ_watters and berkeman
berkeman said:
No, it is a simple discussion, not involving engineering calculations. And what do you mean by the word "seat" in your title?

Oh, I see this now in your OP:

I think you mean "sit or stand".
yes sit

I only ever hand drafted 30 years ago in high school, but I remember standing and would expect it to be better so you have more mobility when working on large drawings. But that would depend on what you are doing/if you need to access the whole thing or a small part. Also, dependent on back problems.

Likes Tom.G
DaveE said:
like the smell of ammonia at the blueprint machine.
Ah, yes. The old Ozalid machines. I remember those well from my days at NASA in the 60's and 70's. GOD that ammonia smell was awful but that's what was used to print large circuit diagrams (as I recall, about 3' x 5') of our digital electronics.

Actually, it was also used to print circuit diagrams of analog electronics as well, but I considered that stuff to be mostly part of the Black Arts so the Ammonia smell seemed more appropriate for them :smile:

Last edited:
user079622 said:
Is any reason why proffesional engineering drawing board are all white,
Well, when I worked with circuit draftsmen in the 60's and 70's the drawings were on velum (semi-transparent) paper drawn with pencils so the white background made a good contrast with the pencil lines. These sheets were then put through an Ozalid Machine (see post #7) to produce a blue-line drawing on a light blue background (along with a HUGE stink of ammonia).

I believe this was also done in the construction industry but I'm less sure about that.

A dark color board would have been useless.

I couldn't find any old circuit diagrams but here's part of an architectural diagram that was produced using the process:
1701910262322.png

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
user079622 said:
A lot of it boils down to personal preference. Usually (always?) there was a very high seat chair/stool (much like a bar stool) available that one could sit on and still reach most of the drawing surface so as I recall, the draftsmen sometimes sat and sometimes stood. Most probably sat most of the time.

phinds said:
it was also used to print circuit diagrams of analog electronics as well, but I considered that stuff to be mostly part of the Black Arts so the Ammonia smell seemed more appropriate for them
Me. That was me. But around 1982. My exposure (in years) was brief, the tail end of ancient copiers. I also recall mimeographs from grade school.
phinds said:
along with a HUGE stink of ammonia

phinds said:
GOD that ammonia smell was awful
I don't remember it as being THAT bad. Unless you had to stay there and make a bunch of copies. As I recall you adjusted the "exposure" which resulted in more or less stink along with more or less blue. It did have it's own separate room though. Maybe by 1980 they had figured out about ventilation.

This is the machine I recall, they say it isn't as stinky as others, but IDK.
https://www.ejmotiwalla.com/Codes/Maxphotos/Geomatictools/Previews/ammonia_printer.htm

phinds said:
I couldn't find any old circuit diagrams
I really, really, really wish I'd kept one of these blue-line schematics. Suitable for framing, or maybe the computer history museum now.

Just a year or so later I was walking to a "computer room" to draw schematics on a Lisa. Rule #1: save your work AT LEAST every 5 minutes because that program (whatever it was) will crash; soon. Still much better than a drafting board though.

It's amazing how fast the technology environment changes. All of your old digital schematics, hand drawn on vellum, are Verilog or VHDL code now; or C++. Probably C++ on a platform unimaginable to an EE in 1970. Probably created by someone that has no idea how a transistor works.

Likes berkeman
I'll also add that if you ever used one of these machines, you'll understand the old Mil-Spec rule that schematics never had junctions of more than three lines. Two lines crossing meant no connection because low fidelity copies would put a dot there; dots only count at tee intersections. i.e. don't trust the dots.

PXL_20231207_020441219.jpg

• Wow
Likes russ_watters and berkeman
DaveE said:
I really, really, really wish I'd kept one of these blue-line schematics. Suitable for framing, or maybe the computer history museum now.
I doubt if one would still be legible by now unless you had kept it hidden away in a carboard box inside a closet.

Likes DaveE
phinds said:
Well, when I worked with circuit draftsmen in the 60's and 70's the drawings were on velum (semi-transparent) paper drawn with pencils so the white background made a good contrast with the pencil lines. These sheets were then put through an Ozalid Machine (see post #7) to produce a blue-line drawing on a light blue background (along with a HUGE stink of ammonia).

I believe this was also done in the construction industry but I'm less sure about that.

A dark color board would have been useless.

I couldn't find any old circuit diagrams but here's part of an architectural diagram that was produced using the process:
View attachment 336793
Why engineers use semi transparent paper?

user079622 said:
Because that's what the printing process required. The light had to go THROUGH the paper, and not through the pencil lines.

If you never needed any copies, you could just do it on paper and use the original.

user079622 said:
Like a film negative, except the development process meant it was a positive. Where light couldn't get through to the paper, the development process made dark areas.

phinds said:
Because that's what the printing process required. The light had to go THROUGH the paper, and not through the pencil lines.

If you never needed any copies, you could just do it on paper and use the original.
In machine you put original pencil work and you get out blue or black pen lines on new paper and original pencil work remain in pencil?
Is new paper with pen lines transparent or not?Today this machine dont use any more, original pencil work is just put in printer to photocopy?
so they dont draw at transparent paper any more if they need it?

Last edited:
user079622 said:
so they dont draw at transparent paper any more
It's all about clickety-click-click these days :wink:

Though I still set the layers semi-transparent during PCB-design... But for completely different reasons o0)

Last time I had anything to do with transparent paper was when I was asked about the old way to DIY PCBs.
I directed the guy to some chinese manufacturers. That old stuff with Fe(whatever)Cl(dunno) and photosensitive stuffs and transparent paper is just not around anymore.

I think it's a safe bet that our (office) supplier would have to ask for help would they ever get such request (transparent paper) from us.

So - we don't use any. Not the electronics guys (that's us) nor the mechanicals.

Last edited:
user079622 said:
But today we can photocopy so no need for transparent paper?
Photocopy didnt exist then or this technique have some benefits?
I'm not sure a Xerox type photocopier was ever used/common for large format copies. Such a machine would have been huge. And there were several competing technologies for small format (letter size paper). But either way for at least the last 20 years it's been optical scanners and inkjet or laserjet printers. And of course since the drawings are digital to begin with there's less of a need for photocopies.

russ_watters said:
I'm not sure a Xerox type photocopier was ever used/common for large format copies. Such a machine would have been huge. And there were several competing technologies for small format (letter size paper). But either way for at least the last 20 years it's been optical scanners and inkjet or laserjet printers. And of course since the drawings are digital to begin with there's less of a need for photocopies.
This genius still use drawing board with mechanical pencil.
His words:
“I love the drawing board because most of the work I do is of half scale, so I can have the complete car in front of me, whereas the CAD system limits you to the size of the screen.”
(They must use half scale in wind tunnel, regulated by FIA)

" I just feel at home in that form of expression, I always compare it to a language. The board is the language I am most familiar with and in which I can express myself best. I think drawing has to come from the subconscious, and that's how it is with me."

https://www.speedweek.com/amp/forme...Zeichenbrett-Bin-ein-Dinosaurier.html?lang=en

1.From picture it seems paper is not transparent vellum paper, this is universal bond paper or white board make this look?
2.If he want put his drawing into ink for archive, what machine/technique today is used?
Scan then print, photocopy or Ozalid ?
ppp-newey.jpg

user079622 said:
Scan then print, photocopy or Ozalid ?
Ozlaid machines haven't been used for many years, I'm pretty sure.

phinds said:
Ozlaid machines haven't been used for many years, I'm pretty sure.
That mean we dont need transparent paper any more?
But we need some paper that lots of eraser work will not damage paper

user079622 said:
That mean we dont need transparent paper any more?
But we need some paper that lots of eraser work will not damage paper
This is beginning to sound like you are a troll, just stringing us along to see how many questions you can get answered about paper. I'm done.

Likes BillTre, berkeman, Bystander and 1 other person
I find this
Someting like this, this mean today you can draw on whatever you want ..

Last edited:
phinds said:
This is beginning to sound like you are a troll, just stringing us along to see how many questions you can get answered about paper. I'm done.
I am not troll, just nobody confirm that transparent paper is not need any more because we have modern scanners.

Related to Colour of engineering drawing board, sit or stand?

1. Why is the color of an engineering drawing board important?

The color of an engineering drawing board is important because it can influence the visibility and contrast of the drawings. Neutral colors like white or light gray are preferred as they reduce eye strain and make it easier to see fine details, which is crucial for precise engineering work.

2. What is the most common color for engineering drawing boards?

The most common colors for engineering drawing boards are white and light gray. These colors provide a neutral background that does not interfere with the visibility of lines and markings, which is essential for accuracy in engineering drawings.

3. Is it better to sit or stand while working on an engineering drawing board?

Whether it is better to sit or stand while working on an engineering drawing board depends on personal preference and ergonomic considerations. Standing can help in maintaining better posture and reducing the risk of long-term health issues like back pain. However, comfortable seating is also crucial for long hours of work. Many professionals use adjustable desks that allow them to switch between sitting and standing.

4. How does standing affect productivity when working on engineering drawings?

Standing while working on engineering drawings can potentially increase productivity by boosting energy levels and improving focus. It also encourages more movement, which can lead to better physical health and endurance during long working hours. However, the impact on productivity can vary from person to person.

5. Are there ergonomic benefits to the color and setup of an engineering drawing board?

Yes, there are ergonomic benefits to the color and setup of an engineering drawing board. A board with a light-colored surface can help in reducing eye strain, while an ergonomically set up board (adjustable height, adequate space, proper lighting) ensures that the user maintains a good posture, reducing the risk of musculoskeletal problems. This setup not only enhances comfort but also improves efficiency and accuracy in work.