Collisions of large bodies starting at stationary positions

In summary, the speaker is trying to calculate the point of collision between two stationary bodies of different mass, and is seeking help in finding the acceleration of acceleration in order to simplify their calculations. Other users suggest using calculus and differential equations to solve the problem, while one user mentions that the two bodies will collide at their barycenter. The speaker expresses gratitude for the help and acknowledges that they feel foolish for not considering the concept of conservation of momentum.
Silverious
I got up this morning, and decided I was going to try to calculate this. So here is what I asked.

Given 2 stationary bodies, starting some distance apart, of different mass, where would they collide in respect to one another?

I tried using Newton's gravity formula to calculate the force of attraction every few intervals of distance, and then graph the acceleration. But I figured, if I could find out how to calculate the acceleration of acceleration, it would make my calculations much simpler. (As in, as they accelerate toward each other, the force increases, so they accelerate even greater.)

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.

Btw, this is my first post in these forums, so I hope this is appropriate. Excuse me if it isn't.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi Silverious,

welcome to the forums!

Do you know calculus and differential equations?

If you do, the problem becomes more or less trivial.

If you are just interested in where compared to their respective starting positions the two bodies will collide, that is easy, they will collide at their barycenter. (their Common center of gravity).

Two find the barycenter, you can use the formula:

[tex] D_{2}= D_{1}\frac{M_{1}}{M_{1}+M_{2}}[/tex]

This will give the distance from M1 to the barycenter.

D1 is the initial distance between the two masses

Wow, thanks. I feel kind of foolish. But thanks anyways.

As Janus said, if momentum is to be conserved, then the center-of-mass of the system has to remain stationary, so that's where they'll end up. If you don't like that argument, you could integrate the differential equation of their motion directly, but it might be difficult; I seem to recall that when I solved this problem for the amount of time it takes for them to collide, I got an elliptic integral, so distance as a function of time would have to be the inverse of an elliptic integral.

Related to Collisions of large bodies starting at stationary positions

1. What is a collision of large bodies starting at stationary positions?

A collision of large bodies starting at stationary positions refers to when two or more massive objects, such as planets or stars, come into contact with each other while initially at rest. This can result in a variety of outcomes, including merging, fragmentation, or deflection of the objects.

2. How do scientists study collisions of large bodies starting at stationary positions?

Scientists use a combination of observations, simulations, and experiments to study collisions of large bodies starting at stationary positions. They can observe actual collisions in space using telescopes, create computer simulations to model different scenarios, and conduct controlled experiments in laboratories.

3. What are the potential consequences of a collision of large bodies starting at stationary positions?

The consequences of a collision of large bodies starting at stationary positions can include changes in the objects' orbits, formation of new objects, release of energy and debris, and potentially catastrophic events such as the destruction of planets or the formation of new celestial bodies.

4. Can collisions of large bodies starting at stationary positions be predicted?

While scientists can make predictions based on known factors such as the masses and trajectories of the objects involved, collisions of large bodies starting at stationary positions are highly complex and can be affected by many variables. Therefore, it is difficult to accurately predict the exact outcomes of these collisions.

5. How do collisions of large bodies starting at stationary positions contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Collisions of large bodies starting at stationary positions play a significant role in shaping the universe and can help us understand the formation and evolution of celestial objects. By studying these collisions, scientists can gain insights into the processes that govern the behavior of massive objects and the forces that shape our universe.