Collision Prediction: Speedy Sue vs. Slow-Moving Van in a Wet Tunnel

In summary: You may need a graphing calculator or a computer algebra system to do this part.In summary, Speedy Sue is driving at 31.5 m/s towards a slow-moving van 105 m ahead traveling at 5.10 m/s. She can only decelerate at 1.85 m/s^2 due to wet road conditions. It is uncertain if there will be a collision. To determine this, the positions of the two vehicles as a function of time must be calculated. If the two functions intersect at any point, a collision will occur.
chr1zis
here is the problem.. i keep getting yes for the first part and then around 163 for the second part. please help.

Speedy Sue, driving at 31.5 m/s, enters a one-lane tunnel. She then observes a slow-moving van 105 m ahead traveling in the same direction as her at 5.10 m/s. Sue applies her brakes but can decelerate only at because the road is wet. Will there be a collision?

yes or no?

If yes, determine how far into the tunnel and at what time the collision occurs. If no, determine the distance of closest approach between Sue's car and the van and enter 0.00 for the time.

Physics news on Phys.org
chr1zis said:
Sue applies her brakes but can decelerate only at [...] because the road is wet. Will there be a collision?

I think a crucial piece of information is missing here. Also, please post what work you have done so far in attempting the problem

cepheid said:
I think a crucial piece of information is missing here. Also, please post what work you have done so far in attempting the problem
Speedy Sue, driving at 31.5 m/s, enters a one-lane tunnel. She then observes a slow-moving van 105 m ahead traveling in the same direction as her at 5.10 m/s. Sue applies her brakes but can decelerate only at 1.85 m/s^2 because the road is wet. Will there be a collision?

yes or no?

If yes, determine how far into the tunnel and at what time the collision occurs. If no, determine the distance of closest approach between Sue's car and the van and enter 0.00 for the time.

((i don't know if any of this is right, so please bear with me)) okay first i solved for t to get the time it took her to stop. -31.5=-1.85t.. t=17s. once i found that.. 17 x 5.10 = 86.7 .. then i took that and .. 86.7 x 105 = 191.7 .. then i got lost.. do i need to plug that into a kinematic equation or where do i go from here?

So you approached the problem by calculating how long it would take Sue to come to a complete stop. That may be useful. But consider this...she does not need to come to a complete stop to avoid a collision. All she need to do is decelerate to a final velocity less than or equal to the van's (5.10m/s), and this deceleration has to occur quickly enough that she achieves this final velocity before reaching the van. But that's really hard to calculate just like that...after all, her velocity is changing continously. I'd recommend using the given initial conditions and the kinematic relations to find the positions of each vehicle as a function of time: x(t) Then, if at some time t, the positions of the two vehicles are the same, they have collided. In other words, you want to see if those two functions intersect at any point.

Related to Collision Prediction: Speedy Sue vs. Slow-Moving Van in a Wet Tunnel

1. What is motion in 1D?

Motion in 1D refers to the movement of an object along a straight line, known as a one-dimensional space. This type of motion can be described using only one coordinate, typically distance or displacement.

2. What are some common examples of 1D motion?

Some common examples of 1D motion include a ball rolling down a hill, a car driving on a straight road, and a person walking in a straight line.

3. What is the difference between distance and displacement in 1D motion?

Distance refers to the total length an object has traveled, while displacement refers to the shortest distance between the object's initial and final position. Displacement takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's movement.

4. How is speed different from velocity in 1D motion?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both the speed and direction of an object's movement. Therefore, an object can have the same speed but different velocities if it is traveling in different directions.

5. What is acceleration in 1D motion?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In 1D motion, acceleration can be positive (speeding up), negative (slowing down), or zero (constant velocity).