A really tough physics math problem that I am in major need of help with

In summary, Tara is driving at 30 m/s and enters a one-lane tunnel, while Sean's van is traveling at 5 m/s and is 155m ahead. Tara can only accelerate at -2.00m/s/s on the wet road. The question asks if there will be a collision and if so, at what distance and time in the tunnel it occurs. If not, the final distance between Tara and Sean needs to be determined. To solve this, expressions for the position of each as a function of time need to be written, taking into account the constant speed of one and the accelerated motion of the other. Once these expressions are found, the collision can be determined if it occurs.
stephi

Homework Statement

Tara, driving at 30 m/s, enters a one-lane tunnel. She then observes Sean's slow moving van 155m ahead traveling at 5 m.s. Tara applies her brakes but can accelerate at only -2.00m/s/s because the road is wet. will there be a collision? if so, determine how far in the tunnel it occurs and at when it occurs. If not, determine the final distance between Tara and Sean.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know where to start!

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by writing expressions for the position of each as a function of time. (One motion is just constant speed, the other is accelerated.) Measure the position of each from the tunnel entrance.

Once you have those expressions, you can solve for when and where they collide--if they do.

okay thanks! ill try that!

Related to A really tough physics math problem that I am in major need of help with

What is the best approach to solving a tough physics math problem?

The best approach to solving a tough physics math problem is to carefully read and understand the problem, identify the given information and the unknowns, and then choose the appropriate formula or concept to solve for the unknown.

How do I know if I am using the correct formula or concept to solve the problem?

You can ensure that you are using the correct formula or concept by checking if the units of measurement match on both sides of the equation, and if the final answer has the correct units as well.

What should I do if I am stuck on a step in the problem?

If you get stuck on a step in the problem, take a break and come back to it with a fresh perspective. You can also try solving a similar, simpler problem to gain a better understanding of the concept.

Is it okay to use a calculator to solve the problem?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to use a calculator to solve a physics math problem. Just make sure that you input the correct values and units of measurement into the calculator.

What should I do if I am still struggling to solve the problem?

If you are still struggling to solve the problem, don't hesitate to seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. You can also try searching online for similar problems and their solutions for additional guidance.