Coliding Galaxies: A Highly Ordered Event?

• Thread starter revo74
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galaxies
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of galaxy collisions and their perceived chaotic nature. It is mentioned that the collision can have different effects depending on the type of collision. There is also a mention of a current collision between the Milky Way and a smaller galaxy, and potential future collisions with Andromeda and other galaxies. The conversation also touches on the use of simulation programs to observe and understand these events.
revo74
Many people, especially layman's would consider this to be a very chaotic event, however, isn't this really not true. From my understanding the astronomical structures within the galaxies actually do not crash/collide into each other. From an astrophysics standpoint isn't such an event a highly ordered one and not chaotic? Please elaborate.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If the collision is a glancing one, the main effect will be tidal deformation, with stars and other material pulled out into long tails. If the collision is more penetrating, while most of the individual stars may not collide, gas clouds do collide, producing X-rays and an intense burst of star formation. Supernovas. If the collision is direct, the two central black holes may collide.
Get me outta here!

I seem to recall reading somewhere (a few years ago) that our Milky Way is currently colliding with a "mini-galaxy."

If I recall correctly, it was not of sufficent mass to affect our galaxy but the mini-galaxy would be "gobbled up" (I think was the term the article used) by our own.

Here we go, I found the article. It's the Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy we're bumping into:

http://www.universetoday.com/22828/milky-way-collision/" .

Sorry for the added post, I thought I had hit the "edit" button of my previous post.

I kind of like "Milkomeda" for the name of our future galaxy. Only 5 billion years away, better start preparing!

Last edited by a moderator:
redwood973 said:
I kind of like "Milkomeda" for the name of our future galaxy.
Cool. I never thought of that.
But then, what about Androway?
redwood973 said:
Only 5 billion years away, better start preparing!
Hop on a matter-antimatter relativistic rocket and travel to the future. It'll probably still be a long time though.

Seems like there's lots of videos on YouTube of various different Milky Way-Andromeda collision scenarios.

There's also one of a four galaxy collision, which I believe is hypothetical. Though its only in low-quality. :frown:

I wonder what free programs one can use to simulate a galaxy collision?
At least one of the YouTube videos was made with a program called Universe Sandbox, though the advanced features are only unlocked when you buy the premium version.

Related to Coliding Galaxies: A Highly Ordered Event?

1. What causes galaxies to collide?

Galaxies collide due to their mutual gravitational pull. As they get closer, their gravity attracts them to each other, causing them to merge or collide. This is a natural process in the universe as galaxies are constantly moving and interacting with each other.

2. How long does it take for galaxies to collide?

The time it takes for galaxies to collide can vary greatly depending on their size, shape, and relative speed. Generally, it can take millions to billions of years for galaxies to fully merge, but the process of collision can begin much earlier.

3. What happens to the stars in colliding galaxies?

During a collision, the stars in both galaxies are affected by the gravitational forces. Some stars may be flung out of the galaxies, while others may be captured by the new merged galaxy. The gas and dust in the galaxies can also trigger the formation of new stars.

4. Can colliding galaxies form new galaxies?

Yes, colliding galaxies can form new galaxies. When two galaxies merge, their combined gas and dust can trigger the formation of new stars, leading to the creation of a new galaxy. The shape and structure of the new galaxy will depend on the characteristics of the original galaxies.

5. How do scientists study colliding galaxies?

Scientists study colliding galaxies using various methods, including observations from telescopes, computer simulations, and theoretical models. They can also analyze the light and radiation emitted from the galaxies to understand their properties and the effects of the collision. Additionally, scientists can study the aftermath of collisions by observing the shapes and structures of the new merged galaxies.