Coherent definition of observable supernatural event?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of defining the term "supernatural" in a way that allows for observable events to be considered supernatural, independent of humans' knowledge of physical laws. The participants argue that this is not possible, as it cannot be quantified and would require a definition of "natural" as well. They also mention that attempting to prove the existence of a deity using this definition would be futile. The conversation ends with a quote stating that the supernatural is often a product of imagination.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I do not want to get into a religious discussion. The question is an abstract one, not directed at any belief system. With that prologue: is it theoretically possible to give a rigorous and coherent definition of "supernatural" that would allow an observable event to be supernatural, independent of humans' knowledge of physical laws? That is, if one defines the set of supernatural events as either distinct from, or a superset of, the set of natural events, then this begs the question, as one now needs a definition of natural events. (The question as to whether the set of supernatural events is the empty set or not is not the question here: one first needs a definition of supernatural before one could pose that question.) If one defines natural as all that is observable (not necessarily by humans: in the same way that the laws of relativity are posed in terms of observers, or quantum physics uses observables...) I wish to exclude the trivial definition that, for example, allows lightning to be supernatural to ancient Greeks but not to Benjamin Franklin, etc. , so the final definition need not allow humans at any point to be able to distinguish a natural from a supernatural event.

Likes CWatters
Physics news on Phys.org
I claim, that the answer is NO, simply because
nomadreid said:
independent of humans' knowledge of physical laws
cannot be quantified in any meaningful way, since it makes a statement about future knowledge as well. If we restrict the condition to current knowledge, we will be back again in what is our current situation. There are many natural phenomena which we cannot fully explain yet: sprites, the walking stones, Min Mins, etc. but that doesn't make them supernatural.

Another argument: Assumed it could be done, then you will have a tool to decide the existence of God, if defined appropriately. But such a proof cannot be given. I'm not sure whether it can formally be shown to be undecidable, but the many attempts throughout history by often very smart people, is at least enough evidence for me, that it is impossible.

Likes nomadreid
nomadreid said:
I do not want to get into a religious discussion.
Never mind religion, this is philosophy, and beyond the scope of PhysicsForums.

For more info, you can check out https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Supernatural#Can_science_test_the_supernatural.3F. I like this quote by Elbert Hubbard:
To the scientist the word "supernatural" is a contradiction. Everything that is in the universe is natural; the supernatural is the natural not yet understood. And that which is called the supernatural is often the figment of a disordered, undisciplined or undeveloped imagination.
Thread closed.

Likes BillTre, gmax137, Bystander and 1 other person

1. What is the definition of an observable supernatural event?

An observable supernatural event is an occurrence or phenomenon that is believed to be caused by supernatural forces or entities and can be perceived or witnessed by humans or other living beings.

2. How is an observable supernatural event different from a natural event?

An observable supernatural event is typically different from a natural event in that it cannot be explained by scientific laws or principles. It may also involve elements that are beyond the realm of human understanding or perception.

3. Can an observable supernatural event be scientifically proven?

As a scientist, I cannot definitively say whether an observable supernatural event can be scientifically proven or not. However, it is important to note that science relies on empirical evidence and natural explanations, which may not apply to supernatural phenomena. Thus, it may be difficult to scientifically prove the existence of an observable supernatural event.

4. How do different cultures define and perceive observable supernatural events?

Different cultures have their own beliefs and interpretations of observable supernatural events. Some cultures may view them as a part of their religious or spiritual beliefs, while others may see them as superstitions or myths. It is important to understand and respect these cultural differences when studying observable supernatural events.

5. Can scientific methods be used to study observable supernatural events?

Some scientists argue that observable supernatural events cannot be studied using scientific methods, as they are outside the scope of science. However, others believe that certain aspects of observable supernatural events can be studied scientifically, such as their effects on human behavior or physical environment. Further research and discussion is needed in this area.