Coffee in the Navy: A Survival Guide.

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary: I forget the word for the place where they roast their coffee.Anyway, I love trying new roasts, but I stuck with my regular roast for the longest time.In summary, Doc Al's recent thread on the effects of coffee on naps got me to thinking about how I like my coffee. I like it with a healthy dose of sugar-free sweetener, cream, and nutmeg. I like it with two scoops of ice cream, honey, and nutmeg, or with vanilla or chocolate ice cream. I like it coffee with a generous portion of nutmeg, and I drink it black or with milk, cream, ice cream, or half and half, or whatever is on hand. I've been

How Do You Take Your Coffee?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In honor of National Coffee Day (Sept. 29), Yahoo Health rounded up some of the most surprising facts about the beloved beverage.
https://www.yahoo.com/health/30-things-you-may-not-have-realized-about-coffee-114146178.html

I drink a two or more cups in the morning (I've cut down), then maybe one or two during the day. There have been times when I'd drink 8 cups a day - large cups.

I drink it with breakfast, and many days, coffee is breakfast. I'll drink it at lunch, and sometimes dinner, depending on circumstances.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
Breakfast of champions, two black coffees and a cigarette.

You misspelled bacon and eggs.
Or leftover rice

Likes nuuskur
Hi, I'm a coffee lover and I usually take it with cream. My favorite flavor is Cappuccino:smile:

"Black as midnight on a moonless night."

Special Agent D. Cooper taught me how to drink coffee:

Enjoy your coffee!

Likes collinsmark
I've recently started drinking coffee in the morning. General advice is that 4 cups of coffee is a safe amount. I'm confused how to calculate that in terms of mugs full. I drink 2 mugs of coffee a morning. The average mug is 12 ounces. A cup is 8 ounces. So I guess that means a person can drink 2.75 mugs safely.

I guess I'm different.
I usually like my coffee black, but I add a touch of salt to it which makes it less bitter tasting.

This is a trick I learned from an old sailor when I was working as a deckhand on a ship as a summer job while I was an undergraduate.
(Coffee often sits around in heated coffee pots for a long time on ships. Things oxidize and make acids.)

Years later I read somewhere that salt blocks or interacts with bitter sensations in someway.
Could not really find molecular details.

BillTre said:
I guess I'm different.Years later I read somewhere that salt blocks or interacts with bitter sensations in someway.
Could not really find molecular details.
I'll eat a pack of salt when I start thinking about my ex-girlfriend ;).

Likes BillTre
nsaspook said:
Cut my teeth on double strength black coffee.
Never wash the coffee cup.

View attachment 172510
Navy coffee starts off with five gallon cans of grounds. The coffee is dished into ten gallon percolators by drudge workers who don't want to be there and don't like coffee anyway. Boil for a few days. When it's ready you simply cut off a piece with a carbide tipped tool provided and chew on it for the duration of your watch, 6-8 hours for us snipes. At the end of the watch you put it back in the pot. DO NOT throw it overboard. Some of the chunks have made their way onshore and small animals and children are at risk if this happens.

Likes nsaspook, Asymptotic and BillTre