Coefficients using orthogonality relation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a solution for the temperature of a heated rod using the orthogonality relation and expressing the coefficients as a_n = \frac{2}{L} \int_{0}^{L} cos\frac{n\pi x}{L} f(x) dx. The conversation also mentions using inner product to solve the equation and finding the value of the norm squared. The issue of getting two different answers for n = m = 0 and n = m != 0 is also brought up but is later resolved.
FatPhysicsBoy

Homework Statement

Have a solution for the temperature u(x,t) of a heated rod, now using the orthogonality relation below show that the coefficients [itex]a_n , n = 0,1,2,...[/itex] can be expressed as:

[tex]a_n = \frac{2}{L} \int_{0}^{L} cos\frac{n\pi x}{L} f(x) dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{0}^{L} cos\frac{n\pi x}{L} cos\frac{m\pi x}{L} dx = \left\{\begin{matrix}
L & n=m=0 \\
L\delta_{nm}/2 & otherwise
\end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

[tex]u(x,t)=\frac{a_{0}}{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{inf} a_n cos(\frac{n \pi x}{L})exp[-\alpha (\frac{n\pi}{L})^2 t][/tex]

[tex]u(x,0) = f(x)[/tex]

[tex]a_n = \frac{<cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L}),f(x))>}{{\left \| cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L} \right \|}^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've tried doing this using the relation involving inner products above, I've also tried multiplying both sides of the equation [itex]f(x) = \frac{a_{0}}{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{inf} a_n cos(\frac{n \pi x}{L})[/itex] by [itex]cos(\frac{m \pi x}{L})[/itex] and integrating from 0 to L.

So going the inner product way, I think my problem is with the value of the norm squared because a similar issue turns up the other way (even though it is essentially the same thing). I get my expression for the norm and note that there are two terms with n so n = m therefore I consider the case where n = 0 therefore n = m = 0 and I get L as my norm squared. Then I consider the case where n > 0 then n = m != 0 , I then get L/2 as my norm squared. This is what doesn't make sense to me. I can get the right answer if I just consider n = m != 0 but I get a second one which isn't the answer if I consider n = m = 0.

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this issue has now been solved, thank you.

Related to Coefficients using orthogonality relation

1. What is the orthogonality relation?

The orthogonality relation is a mathematical concept that states that two vectors are orthogonal if their dot product is equal to zero. In other words, two vectors are orthogonal if they are perpendicular to each other.

2. How is orthogonality related to coefficients?

Orthogonality is used to find the coefficients of a linear combination of vectors. By using the dot product and the orthogonality relation, we can determine the coefficients that will give us the desired vector.

3. What is the purpose of finding coefficients using orthogonality?

Finding coefficients using orthogonality is useful in many areas of mathematics and science. It allows us to express a vector in terms of other vectors, making calculations and analysis easier. It also helps us to understand the relationships between vectors in a given system.

4. Can orthogonality be used with more than two vectors?

Yes, orthogonality can be used with any number of vectors. In fact, it is often used with multiple vectors to find the coefficients of a linear combination.

5. Are there any other applications of coefficients using orthogonality?

Yes, orthogonal coefficients have many applications in fields such as signal processing, data compression, and linear algebra. They are also used in physics and engineering to analyze and solve complex systems of equations.