Coefficient solving for a PDE-eigenfunction

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coefficient
In summary, the given conversation discusses the problem of finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions for a certain partial differential equation with given boundary and initial conditions. The conversation explores the constraints on the variables $A$, $B$, and $\lambda$ and concludes that the eigenvalues can be found by solving the equation $(1 - \cos L\sqrt{\lambda})^2 + \sin^2 L\sqrt{\lambda} = 0$, which leads to $\lambda = \dfrac{4k^2\pi^2}{L^2}$ for some integer $k$. The final solution for $u(x,t)$ is then given by $u(x,t) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}
Dustinsfl
$$
\varphi(x) = A\cos x\sqrt{\lambda} + B\frac{\sin x\sqrt{\lambda}}{\sqrt{\lambda}}
$$

$$
\text{B.C.} = \begin{cases} u(0,t) = u(L,t)\\u_x(0,t) = u_x(L,t)\end{cases}
$$

Which leads to
$$
A(1 - \cos L\sqrt{\lambda}) = B\frac{\sin L\sqrt{\lambda}}{\sqrt{\lambda}} \quad \text{and} \quad B(1 - \cos L\sqrt{\lambda}) = -A\sqrt{\lambda}\sin L\sqrt{\lambda}
$$

I solved for B and obtained
$$
B = \frac{-A\sqrt{\lambda}\sin L\sqrt{\lambda}}{1 - \cos L\sqrt{\lambda}}.
$$

From this, I can substitute and get
$$
A\left[(1 - \cos L\sqrt{\lambda})^2 - \sin^2 L\sqrt{\lambda}\right] = 0
$$

So can I conclude A = 0? I am having a struggle to find A and B here so I can get the eigenfunction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a few questions:

1. What is the original PDE?
2. Do you know what the time dependence is?
3. Are there constraints on where $A$, $B$, and $\lambda$ have to be? For example, do they all have to be real numbers?
4. If $A$, $B$, and $\lambda$ have to be real numbers, then you have some interesting things going on:

\begin{align*}AB\left(1-\cos\left(L\sqrt{\lambda}\right)\right)&=B^{2} \, \frac{ \sin\left( L \sqrt{\lambda}\right) }{ \sqrt{\lambda} }\\
AB \left( 1-\cos \left( L \sqrt{ \lambda} \right) \right)&=-A^{2} \sqrt{ \lambda } \sin \left( L \sqrt{ \lambda } \right)\implies
\end{align*}
$$B^{2} \, \frac{ \sin\left( L \sqrt{\lambda}\right) }{ \sqrt{\lambda} }=-A^{2} \sqrt{ \lambda } \sin \left( L \sqrt{ \lambda } \right).$$
This holds if either $\sin\left( L \sqrt{\lambda}\right)=0$ or $B^{2}=-A^{2}|\lambda|$. If the latter is true, then since everything is real, $A=B=0$, and you don't have eigenfunctions because everything is zero.

dwsmith said:
... I can substitute and get
$$
A\left[(1 - \cos L\sqrt{\lambda})^2 - \sin^2 L\sqrt{\lambda}\right] = 0
$$
That is correct except that it should be $A\left[(1 - \cos L\sqrt{\lambda})^2 \color{red}{+}\; \sin^2 L\sqrt{\lambda}\right] = 0.$

dwsmith said:
So can I conclude A = 0? I am having a struggle to find A and B here so I can get the eigenfunction.
No, because as Ackbach points out, that would imply that $B$ is also zero, so you get the zero function, which cannot be an eigenfunction. Therefore the only possibility is that $(1 - \cos L\sqrt{\lambda})^2 + \sin^2 L\sqrt{\lambda} = 0.$ Thus $\cos L\sqrt{\lambda} = 1$ and $\sin L\sqrt{\lambda} = 0$ and hence $L\sqrt{\lambda} = 2k\pi$ for some integer $k$. Hence $\lambda = \dfrac{4k^2\pi^2}{L^2}$, and those are the eigenvalues.

Opalg said:
That is correct except that it should be $A\left[(1 - \cos L\sqrt{\lambda})^2 \color{red}{+}\; \sin^2 L\sqrt{\lambda}\right] = 0.$

No, because as Ackbach points out, that would imply that $B$ is also zero, so you get the zero function, which cannot be an eigenfunction. Therefore the only possibility is that $(1 - \cos L\sqrt{\lambda})^2 + \sin^2 L\sqrt{\lambda} = 0.$ Thus $\cos L\sqrt{\lambda} = 1$ and $\sin L\sqrt{\lambda} = 0$ and hence $L\sqrt{\lambda} = 2k\pi$ for some integer $k$. Hence $\lambda = \dfrac{4k^2\pi^2}{L^2}$, and those are the eigenvalues.

What is my $\varphi_n$ equation then? Is it the original equation?
So I would have

$$
u(x,t) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n\left(\cos x\sqrt{\lambda}+\frac{\sin x\sqrt{\lambda}}{\sqrt{\lambda}}\right)e^{-\lambda t}
$$

---------- Post added at 11:42 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 ----------

Ackbach said:
I have a few questions:

1. What is the original PDE?
2. Do you know what the time dependence is?
3. Are there constraints on where $A$, $B$, and $\lambda$ have to be? For example, do they all have to be real numbers?
4. If $A$, $B$, and $\lambda$ have to be real numbers, then you have some interesting things going on:

\begin{align*}AB\left(1-\cos\left(L\sqrt{\lambda}\right)\right)&=B^{2} \, \frac{ \sin\left( L \sqrt{\lambda}\right) }{ \sqrt{\lambda} }\\
AB \left( 1-\cos \left( L \sqrt{ \lambda} \right) \right)&=-A^{2} \sqrt{ \lambda } \sin \left( L \sqrt{ \lambda } \right)\implies
\end{align*}
$$B^{2} \, \frac{ \sin\left( L \sqrt{\lambda}\right) }{ \sqrt{\lambda} }=-A^{2} \sqrt{ \lambda } \sin \left( L \sqrt{ \lambda } \right).$$
This holds if either $\sin\left( L \sqrt{\lambda}\right)=0$ or $B^{2}=-A^{2}|\lambda|$. If the latter is true, then since everything is real, $A=B=0$, and you don't have eigenfunctions because everything is zero.

$u_{xx}=u_t$
The BC are above
The IC are
$$
\begin{cases} u(x,0) = 1, & 0 < x < L/4\\
u(x,0) = 0, & L/4 < x < L\end{cases}
$$

dwsmith said:
what is my $\varphi_n$ equation then? Is it the original equation?
So i would have

$$
u(x,t) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n\left(\cos x\sqrt{\lambda}+\frac{\sin x\sqrt{\lambda}}{\sqrt{\lambda}}\right)e^{-\lambda t}
$$
What you should do here is to substitute $\sqrt\lambda = \dfrac{2n\pi}L$ to get the solution $$
u(x,t) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n\left(\cos \tfrac{2n\pi x}L +\tfrac L{2n\pi}\sin \tfrac{2n\pi x}L \right)e^{-4n^2\pi^2 t/L^2}.
$$

Opalg said:
What you should do here is to substitute $\sqrt\lambda = \dfrac{2n\pi}L$ to get the solution $$
u(x,t) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n\left(\cos \tfrac{2n\pi x}L +\tfrac L{2n\pi}\sin \tfrac{2n\pi x}L \right)e^{-4n^2\pi^2 t/L^2}.
$$

I understand. I was trying to get a handle on $\varphi$.

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

How can I contend for the IC?

Related to Coefficient solving for a PDE-eigenfunction

What is a PDE-eigenfunction?

A PDE-eigenfunction is a solution to a partial differential equation (PDE) that satisfies certain boundary conditions. It is a function that, when plugged into the PDE, results in an equation that is satisfied for all values of the independent variables.

What does it mean to solve for a PDE-eigenfunction?

Solving for a PDE-eigenfunction means finding a function that satisfies both the PDE and the boundary conditions. This involves finding the appropriate coefficients and constants that make the function a valid solution.

How do you solve for coefficients in a PDE-eigenfunction?

To solve for coefficients in a PDE-eigenfunction, you typically use a combination of analytical and numerical methods. This may involve solving a system of equations, using Fourier or Laplace transforms, or using computational methods such as finite differences or finite element analysis.

What are the applications of solving for coefficients in a PDE-eigenfunction?

The applications of solving for coefficients in a PDE-eigenfunction are vast, as PDEs are used to model a wide range of physical phenomena. Some common applications include heat transfer, fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and structural mechanics.

What are some challenges in coefficient solving for a PDE-eigenfunction?

Some challenges in coefficient solving for a PDE-eigenfunction include dealing with complex PDEs, determining appropriate boundary conditions, and finding analytical solutions for non-linear PDEs. Additionally, the choice of numerical methods and the accuracy of the solutions can also be challenging factors.