Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

In summary, the conversation involved finding the coefficient of kinetic friction between a crate of bananas and the floor based on its initial speed and distance traveled before coming to a stop. Using the equations Fnet=ma and v2=v02+2aΔx, the solution was found to be 0.15.
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

A crate of bananas has an initial speed of 4.2 m/s2. It slides across a floor, traveling 6.0m before coming to a stop. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
v2=v02+2aΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

v=4.2 m/s
x=6.0 m
vf=0
Δx=6.0 m

a=v2-v02/2x
a=0-17.64 m/s2/12 m = 1.47m/s2
[itex]M[/itex]N=ma
mg=a
mg=a/g
m=1.47 m/s2/9.8m/s2=.15

For a final answer of .15. This seems correct to me, but could someone please confirm?

Sorry about the doubled template, I don't know how to get rid of it without messing up my post! Any ideas? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me.

Likes 1 person
Thank you!

Related to Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

1. What is the definition of coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact when one is moving relative to the other.

2. How is coefficient of kinetic friction different from coefficient of static friction?

Coefficient of static friction measures the resistance to motion between two surfaces when there is no relative motion between them. Coefficient of kinetic friction measures the resistance to motion between two surfaces when one is already in motion relative to the other.

3. What factors affect the value of coefficient of kinetic friction?

The value of coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the surfaces.

4. How is coefficient of kinetic friction measured?

Coefficient of kinetic friction can be measured experimentally by using a device called a tribometer, which measures the force required to keep a surface in motion at a constant speed.

5. What are some real-life applications of coefficient of kinetic friction?

Coefficient of kinetic friction is important in many practical applications, such as determining the braking distance of a vehicle, designing tires with good traction, and reducing friction in moving parts of machines to increase efficiency.