Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

In summary, to find the coefficient of kinetic friction between a child and a playground slide with an acceleration of 1.32 m/s^2 and an inclination of 35.0 degrees, you can use the equations Fnet=ma and Ff=uFn. By drawing a free body diagram and resolving the force of gravity into components, you can find the necessary information to solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction.
The Tutor

Homework Statement

A child goes down a playground slide with an acceleration of 1.32 {m/s^2}. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the child and the slide if the slide is inclined at an angle of 35.0 deg below the horizontal.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
Fg=mg
Ff=uFn
I apologize, I do not know how to do the sign, or spell it, but u=coefficient of kinetic friction

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to even start this problem... the only thing I did (and I'm positive it's completely wrong) is:
Fnet=ma
m=Fnet/a

Fg=mg
Fg=m(9.81)
Fg=(Fnet/a)(9.81)

Giving detailed steps would be appreciated, I'm really bad at forces.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Tutor said:
Fg=(Fnet/a)(9.81)

From where did you get this?
First draw the free body diagram. Then resolve mg into two components - along the incline and normal to the incline. That will help.

Related to Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

1. What is the definition of coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces when they are in relative motion. It is a dimensionless number that ranges from 0 to 1, with lower values indicating less frictional force and higher values indicating more frictional force.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction different from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction measures the amount of resistance between two surfaces when they are not in motion, while the coefficient of kinetic friction measures the amount of resistance between two surfaces when they are already in motion. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by the types of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants. It also depends on the normal force between the two surfaces, which is the force perpendicular to the surface of contact.

4. How do you calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be done by measuring the force needed to keep an object in motion at a constant speed and dividing it by the weight of the object.

5. Why is the coefficient of kinetic friction important in everyday life?

The coefficient of kinetic friction has important implications in everyday life, as it affects the movement and efficiency of many objects and systems. It is used in engineering and design to ensure the smooth functioning of machines, and is also important in sports and transportation, where minimizing friction is crucial for optimal performance and safety.