Coefficient of Friction of Shoes in Different Temperatures

• Thread starter DingleTron3000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: Then take the average of all the numbers. In summary, the foam type shoes had the lowest static friction.
DingleTron3000

Homework Statement

I know what friction is and how to get the coefficient of friction. The science fair I'm doing is basically two labs but the overall question is "How does different temperatures affect the coefficient of friction in shoe brands?"

Homework Equations

Need help understanding how friction in shoe soles worn and how different shoe soles effect different coefficients of friction. This is for science fair. I have the experiment and results I just don't know why I got the results I did.

The Attempt at a Solution

My experiment. If the results are needed someone can tell me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the whole purpose of a science fair project to do an experiment and draw conclusions based on the results? I think the results are completely necessary.

What happens to the sole of a shoe after you wear it for a year? Is it the same? How does that affect the friction when walking?

How does the grip of moutain climbing shoes compare after an extended period of use?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Isn't the whole purpose of a science fair project to do an experiment and draw conclusions based on the results? I think the results are completely necessary.

What happens to the sole of a shoe after you wear it for a year? Is it the same? How does that affect the friction when walking?

How does the grip of moutain climbing shoes compare after an extended period of use?
Yeah sorry didn't think that through. I'm not home at the moment but I'll scan the papers on the computer tonight and post them on here tomorrow

No problem. We'll be here.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
No problem. We'll be here.
Here is the research information. As mentioned earlier I am doing two labs so two of everything. Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

• IMG_20141203_0001.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 347
DingleTron3000 said:
Here is the research information. As mentioned earlier I am doing two labs so two of everything. Thanks a bunch!
Your table of results came out upside down in the image. Some responders might care to try some analysis on the data, but they're not going to bother if they have to type it all in from hand-written. Please post a machine-readable table/spreadsheet (which I'm sure you will be needing anyway).

haruspex said:
Your table of results came out upside down in the image. Some responders might care to try some analysis on the data, but they're not going to bother if they have to type it all in from hand-written. Please post a machine-readable table/spreadsheet (which I'm sure you will be needing anyway).
Sorry I'll do it tomorrow thanks a bunch

haruspex said:
OK so I'm not sure how to put my results. I have 4 different results for 6 different shoes. I'm thinking to share the info through bar graphs of each lab and how the shoes did and then bar graphs of individual shoes. Would that be a good way for me to display my results to the forums and for my board?

DingleTron3000 said:
OK so I'm not sure how to put my results. I have 4 different results for 6 different shoes. I'm thinking to share the info through bar graphs of each lab and how the shoes did and then bar graphs of individual shoes. Would that be a good way for me to display my results to the forums and for my board?
For this forum, the raw data would be best. Can you create it as a .csv file and paste it as text?

Here is my research paper and results. Best I was able to do was screenshot the data. Thanks for the help so far and future help you are giving. If you have any questions that would help you help me just ask. And what do you think of this project? I am in 8th grade by the way so how is it for an 8th grade project. And if you need pictures of the shoes I can send those too!

Attachments

• ScienceFairResearchPlan.pdf
    64.7 KB · Views: 274
  • Ranks   Google Sheets.png
    Ranks Google Sheets.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 531
Freezer Temperature  18°C 0°F   Google Sheets.png
Fridge Temperature 3°C 37°F   Google Sheets.png

Attachments

• Room Temperature 20°C 67°F   Google Sheets.png
    Room Temperature 20°C 67°F Google Sheets.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 635
  • Oven Temperature 65.5°C 150°F   Google Sheets.png
    Oven Temperature 65.5°C 150°F Google Sheets.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 579
DingleTron3000 said:
Best I was able to do was screenshot the data.
No, you can do better that. You have the data in a spreadsheet. Save it as a .csv file, choosing semicolon as the field separator, say. Change the file type to .txt. Paste the text into a post.

haruspex said:
For this forum, the raw data would be best. Can you create it as a .csv file and paste it as text?
1. Sorry didn't hit the reply button
2. For the conclusions I came up with were: The foam type shoes were the worst for static friction. If you rank every shoe, where they preformed best to worse using 1-4 then add up the columns like add up fridges column with all its numbers you find out that shies perform best in room temperature followed by a not that big difference in the cold but terrible in heat

haruspex said:
No, you can do better that. You have the data in a spreadsheet. Save it as a .csv file, choosing semicolon as the field separator, say. Change the file type to .txt. Paste the text into a post.
Ok sorry I'll get onto that. It's just I saved it as csv like you said earlier I just didn't know to change it to text and post it and when I tried to post the csv It wouldn't let me. And what about the pdf? Alright with that?

DingleTron3000 said:
what about the pdf? Alright with that?
I have no experience of science fairs, so I won't be reading through that. Mainly I was trying to help you post your question in a manner more likely to get a useful response from others. But I will take a look at the data when you post it machine-readable.
My response so far is - only two temperatures?

haruspex said:
I have no experience of science fairs, so I won't be reading through that. Mainly I was trying to help you post your question in a manner more likely to get a useful response from others. But I will take a look at the data when you post it machine-readable.
My response so far is - only two temperatures?
OK a few things. When I go to save it, it only haves a CSV comma delimited and nothing on semicolon. And I have 1 temperature in the first lab where I am testing the force of static friction on shoes. And in the second lab I have 3 temperature, Oven;fridge;freezer. And in the end I compare them all. The problem is I can't very many conclusions on the coefficient of static friction on shoe soles. Another question is can the first guy who commented on this thread get alerts or do i have to reply to him

DingleTron3000 said:
When I go to save it, it only haves a CSV comma delimited and nothing on semicolon.
Strange... I use OpenOffice Calc, not XL, and if I save a file as type .csv it prompts for several options, one of which is the field delimiter. But if you have no commas in the fields, comma delimited is fine.
DingleTron3000 said:
in the second lab I have 3 temperature, Oven;fridge;freezer.
OK.
DingleTron3000 said:
I can't very many conclusions on the coefficient of static friction on shoe soles.
You missed something in there.
DingleTron3000 said:
can the first guy who commented on this thread get alerts
BYW should be getting alerts. If you want to give him a prod, send a private message.

haruspex said:
Strange... I use OpenOffice Calc, not XL, and if I save a file as type .csv it prompts for several options, one of which is the field delimiter. But if you have no commas in the fields, comma delimited is fine.

OK.

You missed something in there.

BYW should be getting alerts. If you want to give him a prod, send a private message.
How is this?
This is my freezer results:
Shoes;Fn;Fs;μs;Rank Overall
Nike Air Flights;4.645;3.219;0.693;4th
Converse All Stars;4.121;2.886;0.7003;3rd
Reebok Zigtech;2.257;0.73;0.323;6th
Hunter's Bay Men's Spencer Oxford;4.804;3.731;0.7766;2nd
Adidas;3.364;2.88;0.856;1st
Saucony Progrid;3.634;1.771;0.4873;5th
This is my fridge results:
Nike Air Flights;4.645;3.525;0.7588;1st
Converse All Stars;4.121;2.824;0.6852;4th
Reebok Zigtech;2.257;1.483;0.657;5th
Hunter's Bay Men's Spencer Oxford;4.804;3.327;0.6925;3rd
Adidas,3.364;2.443;0.7262;2nd
Saucony Progrid;3.634;2.432;0.6692;6th
This is my Room temperature results:
Adidas;3.364;2.443;0.7262;2nd
Saucony Progrid;3.634;2.43;0.6692;6th
This is my oven results:
Nike Air Flights;4.645;3.082;0.6635;1st
Converse All Stars;4.121;2.58;0.626;3rd
Reebok Zigtech;2.257;1.403;0.6216;4th
Hunter's Bay Men's Spencer Oxford;4.804;3.045;0.6338;2nd
Adidas;3.364;1.987;0.5906;5th
Saucony Progrid;3.634;2.095;0.5764;6th
This is my overall results:
Shoes;Freezer;Fridge;Room;Oven
Nike Air Flights;4th;1st;1st;1st
Converse All Stars;3rd;6th;4th;3rd
Reebok Zigtech;6th;3rd;5th;4th
Hunter's Bay Men's Spencer Oxford;2nd;2nd;3rd;2nd
Adidas;1st;4th;2nd;5th
Saucony Progrid;5th;5th;6th;6th

DingleTron3000 said:
How is this?
This is my freezer results:
Nike Air Flights;4.645;3.219;0.693;4th
Converse All Stars;4.121;2.886;0.7003;3rd
Reebok Zigtech;2.257;0.73;0.323;6th
Hunter's Bay Men's Spencer Oxford;4.804;3.731;0.7766;2nd
Adidas;3.364;2.88;0.856;1st
Saucony Progrid;3.634;1.771;0.4873;5th
This is my fridge results:
Adidas,3.364;2.443;0.7262;2nd
Saucony Progrid;3.634;2.432;0.6692;6th
This is my Room temperature results:
Adidas;3.364;2.443;0.7262;2nd
Saucony Progrid;3.634;2.43;0.6692;6th
This is my oven results:
Nike Air Flights;4.645;3.082;0.6635;1st
Converse All Stars;4.121;2.58;0.626;3rd
Reebok Zigtech;2.257;1.403;0.6216;4th
Hunter's Bay Men's Spencer Oxford;4.804;3.045;0.6338;2nd
Adidas;3.364;1.987;0.5906;5th
Saucony Progrid;3.634;2.095;0.5764;6th
This is my overall results:
Shoes;Freezer;Fridge;Room;Oven
Nike Air Flights;4th;1st;1st;1st
Converse All Stars;3rd;6th;4th;3rd
Reebok Zigtech;6th;3rd;5th;4th
Hunter's Bay Men's Spencer Oxford;2nd;2nd;3rd;2nd
Adidas;1st;4th;2nd;5th
Saucony Progrid;5th;5th;6th;6th
Yes, that works (but what are the upper two temperatures? Maybe that's in the PDF - no matter).
You might have a problem with the freezer case. The results are so scattered I wonder if ambient conditions are distorting the results. When you take the shoes out of the freezer, what might happen that could greatly affect friction, and how might this vary from day to day?

haruspex said:
Yes, that works (but what are the upper two temperatures? Maybe that's in the PDF - no matter).
You might have a problem with the freezer case. The results are so scattered I wonder if ambient conditions are distorting the results. When you take the shoes out of the freezer, what might happen that could greatly affect friction, and how might this vary from day to day?
I honestly have no idea why the results are so different I tested them in the same freezer and at the same location but I had to open the freezer to grab a shoe and then shut it so I wonder if a few seconds of the door opening drastically altered the temperature that quickly that it would throw off the results

DingleTron3000 said:
I honestly have no idea why the results are so different I tested them in the same freezer and at the same location but I had to open the freezer to grab a shoe and then shut it so I wonder if a few seconds of the door opening drastically altered the temperature that quickly that it would throw off the results
I'm not thinking of temperature variation. What would happen if you took reading glasses out of a freezer and put them on?

haruspex said:
I'm not thinking of temperature variation. What would happen if you took reading glasses out of a freezer and put them on?
You asked what would happen when you take the shoes out of the freezer what could affect the friction. So my response was a change in temperature could affect the the friction. And the glasses probably be cold maybe some ice on them depending on how long they were in there

DingleTron3000 said:
You asked what would happen when you take the shoes out of the freezer what could affect the friction. So my response was a change in temperature could affect the the friction. And the glasses probably be cold maybe some ice on them depending on how long they were in there
So do you think perhaps a thin layer of ice, or at least moisture, might form on the soles? And do you think this might vary according to conditions in the room, or on the test ramp etc?

I have been getting alerts, btw. I've just been patiently watching.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I have been getting alerts, btw. I've just been patiently watching.
Well any input?

DingleTron3000 said:
Well any input?
A couple things, actually.

1) what is this dual ranged force sensor that you have, and how does it work? also, what units are you working in? (just curious)
2) I agree with haruspex, how are you maintaining consistency while doing these experiments? It seems as though you're cooling, then moving to room temperature, then conducting your run to gather data. How do you think the results would compare if you were to do your "frigid" experiment in an environment where the ambient temperature is "frigid"?

The purpose of this project is to see what kind of material has a higher coefficient of friction, and therefore better grip, no? If you are wearing a shoe out and about, the shoe is going to be at about the temperature of what the air is around it (assuming you've been, say, outside long enough, or wherever you need to be to get the variable conditions you're testing).

Otherwise, it seems like you're doing alright, especially for an 8th grade science fair project. If you would, respond and we can take it from there.

Sorry for delay, I tend to post while at work, and if we get busy, I just don't have time to respond.

More thoughts... If carrying out the project with a practical end in sight, the important question is how the materials behave in adverse conditions: icy, wet. Also, the coefficient of friction depends on both surfaces, so you should should choose the ramp material appropriately. Maybe it's too late for such comments to be of use.

1: The duel ranged force sensor attaches to a lab quest and basically it's a machine with a hook and I attach it to a shoe start a test and drag the shoe and the duel ranged force sensor records the data on the lab quest of the force of friction
2: I think it would be awesome to do it that way but I don't have a place to do that in I just put the shoes in a freezer. I would like to do it that way but I have no means of places to do it. The only place I could do 150 degree room is at Goodyear hq which would be hard to get to and to let them to use their room. Freezer wise i have no idea where I would go
3:Yes I am checking for grip (static friction) in the different temperatures. The way I did it was to put the shoe on the ground and perform the test as soon as it left the different temperature area.
4: It is a bit late to do anymore testing. I was borrowing the materials from the high school over break. There isn't a way I'd be able to get the stuff now and everything is due next month. I'm ahead of schedule so I could get as much help as I can with the results

how many runs did you do for each?

Also, would you care to describe how you measured the normal force?

Was the surface pretty much flat and horizontal?

Last edited:
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
how many runs did you do for each?

Also, would you care to describe how you measured the normal force?

Was the surface pretty much flat and horizontal?
I did 3 runs for each shoe in each location and took the average for the force of friction and I did it on flat, horizontal cement floor

Ok, do you still have the data? It's generally good practice to present more data rather than less (to an extent). So for the representation of the data, I would take the average, and draw a graph with that, but then plot your actual points on the same graph.

And the normal force measurement?

I only have the data for fridge and oven not freezer or room so i decided not to present it. And no i was testing frictional force. The labquest would look at frictional force and i would divide the static frictional force divided by the normal force (weight from the labquest reading) to get the coefficient of static friction.

Ok then. I would just suggest that you be more descriptive when you present your data. Explain how you actually took each measurement.

If I were a judge, I would be pretty impressed if a presentation actually described how the equipment worked. That being said, it sounds like this force meter you're using probably has a spring in it, attached to the hook, does it? Is that important to how the device works?
Make sure you talk about discrepancies. Was your hypothesis correct? If it wasn't, why do you think that is?

That sounds like a good idea Ill find out and get back to you. But I still have minimal about the conclusion. I was thinking on of the conclusions could be that the mesh/rubber stuff (not sure what is called but will try to find out) is the worst out of all the shoes and isn't a good shoe for friction. I could also say how all the shoes seemed to perform better in room temperature and colder areas than the hotter areas. They all performed badly in the hot areas. Any other ideas on that? To present all my data would it be better to show it in bar graphs or graphs like I showed you guys. Like graphs that are like a bar graph for the fridge,freezer,oven,room temperature and then bar graphs for each individual shoe?

I would present the data as you gathered it. You didn't check the shoes in hot or cold areas. You checked hot and cold shoes in room temperature, so heating/cooling the material the shoe is made of seems to make an impact on the coefficient of friction. One descrepency with that though, you tested room temperature shoes in room tempurature, and they did relatively well; however, you tested hot shoes and cold shoes in room temperature as well. Do you think it would make a difference if the surface (i.e. environment) was at the same temperature as the shoe? If so you might want to say that.

Bar graphs are easier when you have a lot of data, which you don't have. That being said, in my opinion, it doesn't really matter how you present it. You have a small enough amount of data that it shouldn't make to much of a difference. Either way, I would make sure to plot ALL the data, as well as the average (which is all you gave us) and make sure they know that it's not a trial value, but the average.

Related to Coefficient of Friction of Shoes in Different Temperatures

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless value that ranges from 0 to 1, with 0 representing no friction and 1 representing maximum friction.

How is the coefficient of friction of shoes measured?

The coefficient of friction of shoes is typically measured using a specialized instrument called a tribometer. This device applies a specified force to the shoe and measures the resulting friction between the shoe and a surface.

Why is the coefficient of friction of shoes important?

The coefficient of friction of shoes is important because it can affect the safety and performance of individuals wearing the shoes. A higher coefficient of friction can provide better traction and prevent slips and falls, while a lower coefficient of friction may result in reduced stability and increased risk of injury.

How does temperature affect the coefficient of friction of shoes?

The coefficient of friction of shoes can vary with temperature. As temperature increases, the materials of the shoe and the surface may expand, resulting in a decrease in friction. Conversely, as temperature decreases, the materials may contract, resulting in an increase in friction.

What factors can influence the coefficient of friction of shoes in different temperatures?

Some factors that can influence the coefficient of friction of shoes in different temperatures include the type of material used for the shoe sole, the type of surface the shoe is in contact with, and the presence of any moisture or contaminants on the surface. Additionally, the design and tread pattern of the shoe can also play a role in the coefficient of friction.