Coefficent of friction for a box moving at cosntant speed

In summary, a horizontal force of 190N is required to pull a 70kg box at a constant speed on a horizontal floor. Since the box is moving at a constant speed, the acceleration is 0 and the force of kinetic friction (Ff) must be equal in magnitude to the applied force (F). Using Newton's Second Law, F - Ff = ma, and knowing that a = 0, we can solve for Ff. The equation for Ff is Ff = N * μ, where N is the normal force and μ is the coefficient of friction. With the values for Ff and N, we can solve for μ and determine the coefficient of friction between the box and
jwxie

Homework Statement

A horizontal force fo 190N is needed to pull a 70kg box across a horizontal floor at a constant speed. What is the coefficent of friction between the box and the floor?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My setup is F - F_f = m*a

But I have trouble getting the acceleration...
F_f is supposed to be F_f = N * u

I am guessing F_f is knifectic fricition? Is it 190N?

I am confused. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
jwxie said:

Homework Statement

A horizontal force fo 190N is needed to pull a 70kg box across a horizontal floor at a constant speed. What is the coefficent of friction between the box and the floor?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My setup is F - F_f = m*a

But I have trouble getting the acceleration...
F_f is supposed to be F_f = N * u

I am guessing F_f is knifectic fricition? Is it 190N?

I am confused. Please help!

Yes, Ff is the force of kinetic friction. Notice that the problem says that the box moves at a constant speed. So, what is the acceleration, then? Based on that, and Newton's Second Law (which you've written above), what must be true about how Ff compares to F (the applied force)?

a = 0? so it means they are the same force??

So it means all we need is to use the Ff equation now.

jwxie said:
a = 0? so it means they are the same force??

So it means all we need is to use the Ff equation now.

Yes, a = 0, so the forces must be the same in magnitude. (They have opposite directions, so they cancel each other out).

Yeah, so since you know the value of Ff, and you know N, you can solve for μ

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. In this case, it is the resistance between the box and the floor.

To find the coefficient of friction, we can use the formula:

u = F_f / N

Where u is the coefficient of friction, F_f is the force of friction, and N is the normal force (the force exerted by the floor on the box).

In this problem, we are given the force of 190N needed to pull the box at a constant speed, and the mass of the box, 70kg. We can use the formula F = ma to find the acceleration of the box.

F = ma
190N = (70kg)a
a = 190N / 70kg
a = 2.71 m/s^2

Now, we can use this acceleration to find the force of friction, F_f.

F_f = ma
F_f = (70kg)(2.71 m/s^2)
F_f = 189.7N

Finally, we can plug in the values for F_f and N into the formula for the coefficient of friction:

u = F_f / N
u = 189.7N / (70kg)(9.8 m/s^2)
u = 0.27

Therefore, the coefficient of friction between the box and the floor is 0.27. This means that for every 1N of force applied to the box, there is 0.27N of resistance from the floor.

Related to Coefficent of friction for a box moving at cosntant speed

What is the coefficient of friction for a box moving at constant speed?

The coefficient of friction for a box moving at constant speed is a measure of the amount of resistance or force that opposes the motion of the box. It is represented by the symbol "μ" and is dependent on the type of surfaces in contact and their smoothness.

How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to keep the box moving at a constant speed by the normal force acting on the box. The normal force is the force perpendicular to the surface that the box is resting on.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction for a box?

The coefficient of friction for a box can be affected by several factors such as the type of surfaces in contact, their roughness, the weight of the box, and the presence of any lubricants. The coefficient of friction is also influenced by the speed at which the box is moving.

Is the coefficient of friction constant for a box moving at constant speed?

Yes, the coefficient of friction is considered to be constant for a box moving at a constant speed. This means that the amount of force required to maintain the box's motion at a steady pace will remain the same unless there is a change in the factors affecting friction.

Why is the coefficient of friction important for a box moving at constant speed?

The coefficient of friction is important for a box moving at constant speed because it determines the amount of force needed to keep the box moving at a steady pace. It also affects the overall efficiency of the movement and can impact the wear and tear on the surfaces in contact.