Find Net Magnetic Field & Direction - Quick Easy Q

• Thread starter Spectre32
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the net magnetic field and its direction using vector addition. The correct method is to add the two fields together, as the "net" force field is the sum of the two individual fields. The direction can be determined using the vector properties.
Spectre32
alright... i just figured out two magnetic fields, and now the question is asking me to find out the net magnetic field and the direction, for the net i would just subtract the biggest from the smallest, and then i use the Right hand rule to figure out the direction of the B field... is this correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try vector addition, not a combination of vector addition and the cross product.

cookiemonster

so u mena like set the bigge one - the smaller one = 0?

It doesn't matter which one's bigger or smaller.

You are familiar with vector addition, correct?

[tex]\vec{v} = <v_x,v_y>[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v} + \vec{u} = <v_x,v_y> + <u_x,u_y> = <v_x + u_x,v_y + u_y>[/tex]

And bigger - smaller = 0 would imply that bigger = smaller, just for reference.

cookiemonster

Spectre32 said:
so u mena like set the bigge one - the smaller one = 0?

No, when he said "try vector addition", believe it or not, he actually meant "add". You already know the two fields separately- the "net" force field is exactly the same as the sum- if the two forces are in the same direction, then the "net" force is "larger" (in strength)- if they are in opposite directions, the sum is smaller (in strength). In any case, the vector properties will take care of that- just add the vectors.

Related to Find Net Magnetic Field & Direction - Quick Easy Q

1. How do you find the net magnetic field and direction of a given system?

To find the net magnetic field and direction, you will need to use the superposition principle. This means that you will need to add up the individual magnetic fields of each component in the system. The direction of the net magnetic field will be determined by the direction of the magnetic field vectors of each component.

2. What is the formula for calculating the net magnetic field?

The formula for calculating the net magnetic field is B = μ0 * I / 2πr, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the wire.

3. Can you find the net magnetic field and direction without knowing the individual magnetic fields?

No, in order to find the net magnetic field and direction, you will need to know the individual magnetic fields of each component in the system. Without this information, you will not be able to calculate the net magnetic field.

4. Are there any tools or techniques that can help with finding the net magnetic field and direction?

Yes, there are several tools and techniques that can aid in finding the net magnetic field and direction. Some examples include using a magnetic field sensor or a compass, using vector addition to add up the individual magnetic fields, or using mathematical equations and formulas to calculate the net magnetic field.

5. How does the direction of the current affect the direction of the net magnetic field?

The direction of the current will determine the direction of the magnetic field around a wire or component. If the current is moving in a clockwise direction, the magnetic field will be in the opposite direction, or counterclockwise. If the current is moving in a counterclockwise direction, the magnetic field will be in the opposite direction, or clockwise.