CO2 vs Nitrogen in LPG Systems

In summary: No pressure. Air or CO2 is only the volume trapped inside the cylinder mounting the valve.In summary, the author is discussing a new type of LPG-cylinder that helps with time lighting of the gas. This cylinder is delivered with air instead of CO2, and it will help with the first time ignition of the gas. If air is inside the cylinder, it will be difficult to light the gas. If the cylinder is filled with CO2, then the gas will be easy to ignite.
Saint1968
Hi
In a new LPG-cylinder it helps 1. time lighting of gas if the cylinder is charged with CO2 instead of air prefilling of LPG.

Will Nitrogen have same effect?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Saint1968 said:
Hi
In a new LPG-cylinder it helps 1. time lighting of gas if the cylinder is charged with CO2 instead of air prefilling of LPG.

Will Nitrogen have same effect?
Welcome to the PF.

Sorry, but your post is not very clear. Can you post links to the types of LPG cylinder systems you are referring to? Something like this?

http://www.venusgas.com/images/airmix.jpg

airmix.jpg

Attachments

• airmix.jpg
    airmix.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,277
Is the idea to increase the pressure in the tank with CO2?

There is no need to put anything in an LPG cylinder besides the fuel itself. It will boil until it pressurizes itself and reaches an equilibrium. I have worked a fair amount with propane.

Likes berkeman
The kind of cylinders I talk about is this: http://www.ppsolutions.com.tw/plasticnotes/lpg-cylinders-technical-specification

Manufacturer deliever the cylinder with atmosfære of CO2 insteed of air. This make the lpg Easy to ignite the forst time after filled with lpg.

If air inside the air comes out first and can't be ignited. CO2 mix with log and ignite easy.

Will Nitrogen mix with log? Or will IT come out of cylinder first, like air?
anorlunda said:
Is the idea to increase the pressure in the tank with CO2?
No. Idea is to easy ignition by avoiding air trapped inside the cylinder to come our first. Co2 mix with lpg or are more heavy than lpg.

Edited: most likely they put in CO2 to stop an explosion or corrosion of the cylinder by displacing the oxygen in air?

If that's the reason then I think nitrogen will also work.

Last edited:
Saint1968 said:
This make the lpg Easy to ignite the forst time after filled with lpg.

I'm sorry but we do not understand this part. How does it make it easier to ignite?

Last edited:
My guess is that N₂ should function the same as CO₂ but not for the reason you think. Note, I am just guessing, but I think it might be the O₂ premixed with the LPG that is hindering the gas sustaining a flame. You may have noticed how a Bunsen burner can be nigh impossible to light if you premix an abundance of air with the gas; the mixture can certainly be burnt but you have to keep the lighted match held in the gas stream.

It may seem that your ignition difficulty is due to a non-combustible fraction first issuing from your freshly filled LPG cylinder, but I think the gaseous component above the liquid in the tank will be uniformly mixed. If there is appreciable air then I think it's contributing too much O₂ to the gas coming off, making a LPG:O₂ mixture that is too lean for its combustion flame front to advance against the flow and set up a self-sustaining flame. The gas stream is blowing its own flame away.

It's a good question, but probably a better fit in the chemistry section, so I'll move it there.

Likes berkeman and Saint1968
Oxygen or air and LPG inside a sealed cylinder sounds like a recipe for disaster. Reference NPGA safety bulletin 133-89 (a). It will also reduce cylinder capacity.

OldYat47 said:
Oxygen and LPG inside a sealed cylinder sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Depends on pressure and temperature. Have you heard of BLEVEs? :smile:

anorlunda said:
I'm sorry but we do not understand this part. How does it make it easier to ignite?
It seems like if it is Oxygene inside the cylinder that oxygene come out before the LPG. If you replace oxygene with Co2 it seems like eighter; CO2 mix with LPG or are more heavy than LPG.

berkeman said:
Depends on pressure and temperature. Have you heard of BLEVEs? :smile:
No pressure. Air or CO2 is only the volume trapped inside the cylinder mounting the valve.

Saint1968 said:
No pressure. Air or CO2 is only the volume trapped inside the cylinder mounting the valve.
Isn't the LPG vapour exerting pressure?

NascentOxygen said:
Isn't the LPG vapour exerting pressure?
Yes. LPG is building pressure as normal, but somehow the air/oxygen comes out first. (Only some seconds).

I think its related to the weight of oxygene.(lighter than lpg)?

It sounds like you are describing a "purge" of the tanks for the first use.

They ship new with no LPG. When they are filled the first time, some air (or CO2 or N2) remains in the tank. The first time you use it, the air will be "purged" . When the tank is empty, only LPG gas remains, waiting to be filled again.

So the answer to your question is yes, N2 would work as well as CO2.

CO2 is soluble in alkanes, N2 is not - apparently. So when you open the ignite the very first time N2 is not liquid at the pressure inside the lpg tank. So N2 comes out first because one keeps the valve/tank upright so liquid propane does not come out of the valve and cause a disaster.

N2 is on top, because pressure at room temp in the tank is not sufficient to liquify the nitrogen.

I assume CO2 leads to better "first ignition".

https://srdata.nist.gov/solubility/IUPAC/SDS-50/SDS-50.pdf This is a long paper, so I just skimmed the alkanes chapter. Any corrections are welcome.
I cannot get to the ACS site for what seems to be a more concise resource. Perhaps @DrClaude or @Borek are able to do so.

Likes NascentOxygen and Saint1968
anorlunda said:
It sounds like you are describing a "purge" of the tanks for the first use.

They ship new with no LPG. When they are filled the first time, some air (or CO2 or N2) remains in the tank. The first time you use it, the air will be "purged" . When the tank is empty, only LPG gas remains, waiting to be filled again.

So the answer to your question is yes, N2 would work as well as CO2.
You are right. It is some remains of air or Co2 inside the cylinders the first time. If you purge the cylinder i doesn't matter if it is air or CO2 inside. If you purge only lpg remains and ignition is easy.
Co2 is a way to avoid to purge and still be able to ignite easy.

Saint1968 said:
does'nt matter if it is air or CO2 inside.
Are you sure you want a pressurized air (Oxygen) - Flammable Gas mixture in the plumbing when you ignite? Seems like a set-up for an explosion in the plumbing.

Tom.G said:
Are you sure you want a pressurized air (Oxygen) - Flammable Gas mixture in the plumbing when you ignite? Seems like a set-up for an explosion in the plumbing.
No pressure. Air or CO2 is only the volume trapped inside the cylinder when mounting the valve.

jim mcnamara said:
CO2 is soluble in alkanes, N2 is not - apparently.
Solubility is a good explanation. So it follows that for ease of first ignition, nitrogen would give no significant improvement over air.

Likes Saint1968

Related to CO2 vs Nitrogen in LPG Systems

What is the difference between CO2 and Nitrogen in LPG systems?

CO2 and Nitrogen are both commonly used as propellants in LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) systems. While they both serve the same purpose of pressurizing and propelling the gas, there are some key differences between the two. The main difference is that CO2 is a greenhouse gas and Nitrogen is not. This means that CO2 can contribute to climate change when released into the atmosphere, while Nitrogen has no impact on the environment.

Which is more commonly used in LPG systems, CO2 or Nitrogen?

CO2 is typically more commonly used in LPG systems due to its availability and lower cost. It is also a more effective propellant compared to Nitrogen, as it has a higher vapor pressure and can therefore create a stronger force to propel the gas.

Are there any safety concerns with using CO2 or Nitrogen in LPG systems?

Both CO2 and Nitrogen are generally safe to use in LPG systems. However, CO2 can pose a risk of asphyxiation if there is a leak in a confined space, as it can displace oxygen. It is important to properly ventilate any areas where CO2 is being used. Nitrogen is not toxic, but it can also displace oxygen in a confined space, so similar precautions should be taken.

Can CO2 and Nitrogen be used interchangeably in LPG systems?

In most cases, yes, CO2 and Nitrogen can be used interchangeably in LPG systems. However, there may be some differences in performance and compatibility with certain materials. It is important to consult the manufacturer's recommendations before switching between the two propellants.

What are the environmental impacts of using CO2 and Nitrogen in LPG systems?

As mentioned before, CO2 is a greenhouse gas and can contribute to climate change when released into the atmosphere. Therefore, it is important to properly handle and dispose of CO2 in LPG systems. Nitrogen, on the other hand, has no environmental impact and is considered a more environmentally friendly option.