CMB Power Spectrum and Angular Power Spectrum Plot from WMAP

In summary: Yes, component separation is a more accurate way to deal with foregrounds, but the main issue right now is that there is no good way of estimating the uncertainties in foreground removal. So, unless Planck can provide much better data on the foregrounds, the WMAP team will have to resort to using a mask to remove them.
TrickyDicky
Anyone knows if the CMB map of anisotropies from WMAP is used to implement the angular power spectrum plot(acoustic peaks)? I'm not sure, but I tend to think it is not.

Space news on Phys.org
TrickyDicky said:
Anyone knows if the CMB map of anisotropies from WMAP is used to implement the angular power spectrum plot(acoustic peaks)? I'm not sure, but I tend to think it is not.
No. The way it's done is they typically just use an aggressive mask to get rid of the galaxy and point sources, and estimate the power spectrum based upon that. So far as I am aware, foreground removal is not yet part of the power spectrum estimation strategy from WMAP, largely because there is currently no good way of estimating the uncertainties in foreground removal. There's also the point to be made that foreground removal isn't really necessary for WMAP, except in the sense of removing the galaxy and point sources, because WMAP isn't sensitive enough for the foregrounds to become an issue.

With Planck, however, due to its increased sensitivity, foreground removal will be absolutely necessary for obtaining optimal science data from the results.

Chalnoth said:
No. The way it's done is they typically just use an aggressive mask to get rid of the galaxy and point sources, and estimate the power spectrum based upon that. So far as I am aware, foreground removal is not yet part of the power spectrum estimation strategy from WMAP, largely because there is currently no good way of estimating the uncertainties in foreground removal.

There's also the point to be made that foreground removal isn't really necessary for WMAP, except in the sense of removing the galaxy and point sources, because WMAP isn't sensitive enough for the foregrounds to become an issue.

With Planck, however, due to its increased sensitivity, foreground removal will be absolutely necessary for obtaining optimal science data from the results.

Hmmm I thought using a mask to get rid of galaxy emisions and point sources , and foreground removal were basically the same thing, is this not so?
What other foreground is there to be removed?

Thanks for answering

TrickyDicky said:
Hmmm I thought using a mask to get rid of galaxy emisions and point sources , and foreground removal were basically the same thing, is this not so?
What I was referring to there is more often called component separation, which involves using the multi-frequency data in order to estimate the CMB itself. This map that the WMAP team released, for example, is produced using one particular algorithm for doing this, dubbed Internal Linear Combination (ILC):
http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/product/map/current/map_images/ilc_7yr_gal_moll_1024.png

The basic issue here is that there are things other than the CMB no matter where you look in the sky, but those things tend to have different frequency scaling, so you can pick out which part of the signal is CMB, and which part isn't. It's not a trivial process, and there are multiple techniques of doing it, all with their own strengths and weaknesses. The primary difficulty right now is that proper estimation of errors isn't quite there yet.

I see, it all looks quite complex, I guess they have to be really careful with this foreground cleaning, I would suppose there has to be a fine line between being too agresive masking what is not CMB, with the risk of leaving just some kind of random noise, and not masking enough leaving fluctuations in the map that are not really CMB.

Related to CMB Power Spectrum and Angular Power Spectrum Plot from WMAP

1. What is the CMB power spectrum and angular power spectrum plot from WMAP?

The CMB (Cosmic Microwave Background) power spectrum is a graph that shows the distribution of energy across different angular scales in the CMB radiation. It is a way to measure the temperature fluctuations in the CMB, which can provide insights into the early universe. The angular power spectrum plot is a similar graph that shows the distribution of energy as a function of the angular scale.

2. How is the CMB power spectrum and angular power spectrum measured?

The CMB power spectrum is measured using data collected by the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP). This satellite measures the temperature of the CMB in different directions and at different angular scales. The angular power spectrum is then calculated from this data using statistical techniques.

3. What information can we learn from the CMB power spectrum and angular power spectrum plot?

The CMB power spectrum and angular power spectrum can provide important information about the composition and evolution of the universe. It can help us understand the distribution of matter and energy in the early universe, the age and expansion rate of the universe, and the presence of dark energy and dark matter.

4. What does the shape of the CMB power spectrum and angular power spectrum plot tell us?

The shape of the CMB power spectrum and angular power spectrum plot can tell us about the density of matter and energy in the universe. A higher peak in the graph indicates a higher density of matter and energy, while a lower peak indicates a lower density. The location of the peaks also provides information about the size and age of the universe.

5. How does the CMB power spectrum and angular power spectrum plot support the Big Bang theory?

The CMB power spectrum and angular power spectrum plot provide strong evidence for the Big Bang theory. The plot shows a nearly perfect blackbody spectrum, which is predicted by the theory. It also supports the idea of cosmic inflation, which explains the uniformity of the CMB and the distribution of matter in the universe. Additionally, the plot matches predictions made by the theory about the amount of dark matter and dark energy in the universe.