Angular power spectrum, bias from N weighted events

In summary, the angular power spectrum C_{l,N,ω} of N weighted (weight ω_i for event i) events from a full sky map with distribution C_l is a function of the energy of the events and the number of events.
ChristianS
My general question is:
What is the angular power spectrum C_{l,N,ω} of N weighted (weight ω_i for event i) events from a full sky map with distribution C_l?

I'm interested in:
  • Mean of C_{l,N,ω}: <C_{l,N,ω}>
  • Variance of C_{l,N,ω}: Var(C_{l,N,ω})
The question is important, since we observe in reality only a certain number N of events of the true sky-distribution and this leads to a bias of the C_l s.
Due to energy dependent detector effects it is often important to weight each event i by the observed Energy ω_i(E). Maybe this problem is solved for the CMB-Powerspectrum, but I couldn't find anything :(.

For simplification I would like to start with the special case of a pure isotropic sky map. If we neglect the weights, we know from Poisson noise/shot noise (we observe N events at random positions):
  1. <C_{l,N}>=4π/N
  2. Var(C_{l,N})= (2/(2l+1)) (4π/N)^2
I would be very very thankful, if anybody could tell me, how this expression changes, if we weight each event i by the observed Energy ω_i(E)?

Space news on Phys.org
What are typically used are maximum-likelihood methods. See here, for example:
https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0201438

Getting an accurate estimate of the CMB signal with realistic errors is a very complex subject overall, unfortunately. Especially difficult are estimating the foreground signals that must be subtracted (especially important for polarization measurements).

Thank you for the paper. Nevertheless I think that for the pure isotropic sky map it should be possible to derive an analytical expression, if the N events have instead of all weights ω_i=1 (for this case the above expression is true) different weights ω_i for each event i.
If e.g. N/4 events have weigt ω_i=1 and N*3/4 events have weight weigt ω_i=0, it should be <C_{l,N}>=4π/(N/4) and Var(C_{l,N})= (2/(2l+1)) (4π/(N/4))^2, since events with ω_i=0 shouldn't contribute to mean and variance.

I hope anybody can help me to find a gerneral expression for the case of a pure isotropic sky map.
There is no window function of the detector ... needed.

Related to Angular power spectrum, bias from N weighted events

1. What is the Angular Power Spectrum?

The Angular Power Spectrum is a statistical tool used in cosmology to describe the distribution of matter and energy in the universe. It represents the variation in the intensity of radiation across different angular scales.

2. How is the Angular Power Spectrum calculated?

The Angular Power Spectrum is calculated by taking the Fourier transform of the two-point correlation function. This involves measuring the correlation between the intensity of radiation at different points on the sky and determining how it varies with angular separation.

3. What is the bias from N weighted events?

The bias from N weighted events refers to the systematic error introduced in the measurement of the Angular Power Spectrum due to the weighting scheme used to calculate it. This bias can arise from assumptions about the underlying distribution of matter and energy in the universe.

4. How does the Angular Power Spectrum help in understanding the structure of the universe?

The Angular Power Spectrum provides valuable information about the distribution of matter and energy in the universe across different angular scales. This helps in understanding the large-scale structure of the universe and the processes that govern its evolution.

5. Can the Angular Power Spectrum be used to test different cosmological models?

Yes, the Angular Power Spectrum is a powerful tool for testing different cosmological models. By comparing the observed spectrum to the predictions of different models, scientists can determine which model best fits the observed data and provides the most accurate description of the universe.