Closest Mars Approach to Earth in 5,000 Years: Real or Hoax?

In summary, a recent email has claimed that Mars will be the closest it has been to Earth in 5000 years and will appear as a smaller moon next to the regular moon. However, this is a hoax that has been circulating for several years. It was discussed on a forum and the original email contents were requested.
Brett13
So I received an email today about how Mars is supposed to be the closest to Earth in like 5000 years and that it should look like a smaller moon directly next to the normal moon. I looked around the internet and some sites say that its a hoax. Does anyone know anything about this at all?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
That myth has been floating around for sometime now.

Hoax.

It is a stale 7 year old hoax that is apparently being recycled as something a little different from last time. It is discussed here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=424132

If you still have it, though, I'd be interested in seeing the contents of that email. Could you copy/paste it?

Related to Closest Mars Approach to Earth in 5,000 Years: Real or Hoax?

1. Is the claim about the closest Mars approach to Earth in 5,000 years true?

It is partially true. Mars will indeed be at its closest distance to Earth in 5,000 years, but this is a natural occurrence and not a hoax.

2. How close will Mars be to Earth during this event?

Mars will be approximately 38.6 million miles from Earth during this event, which is about 15% closer than its average distance.

3. Will this event have any significant impact on Earth?

No, this event will not have any significant impact on Earth. Mars will still be millions of miles away and will not cause any physical changes on our planet.

4. Can I see Mars with the naked eye during this event?

Yes, Mars will be visible to the naked eye during its closest approach. It will appear as a bright, reddish-orange star in the night sky.

5. How often does Mars come this close to Earth?

Mars comes this close to Earth every 15 to 17 years, but this particular event will be the closest in over 5,000 years.