Closed form for series over Exponential Integral

In summary, there is currently no known closed form for the constant given by the first sum, and finding a general closed form for the second sum may require advanced mathematical techniques.
pkmpad
Is there a closed form for the constant given by:

$$\sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{Ei(-(n-1)\log(2))}{n}$$

(Where Ei is the exponential integral)?

Could we generalize it for:

$$I(k)=\sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{Ei(-(n-1)\log(k))}{n}$$

?

My try: As it is given that k will be a positive integer, I have already proved that these series converge at least for every k>1. To obtain a closed form, I have tried to substitute the exponential integral by both its main definition and its series expansion, with no success. Mathematica does not give any result either. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Unfortunately, I am not aware of a closed form for the constant given by the first sum, nor have I been able to find a closed form for the generalized sum involving the variable k. The exponential integral function does not have a simple closed form, and it is difficult to manipulate in series form. It is possible that a closed form exists for these sums, but it may require advanced mathematical techniques to find it.

However, we can still make some observations about the behavior of these sums. As you mentioned, the series converges for all positive integer values of k. This is because as n approaches infinity, the term in the sum becomes smaller and smaller, approaching 0. Additionally, the behavior of the sum will depend on the value of k. For example, when k is close to 1, the sum will approach a finite value, but as k gets larger, the sum will approach infinity.

In terms of generalizing the sum, I would suggest exploring different values of k and seeing if any patterns emerge. You could also try manipulating the series in different ways, such as rearranging the terms or using different properties of the exponential integral function. However, finding a closed form may require more advanced mathematical techniques and may not be possible in this case.

Related to Closed form for series over Exponential Integral

1. What is the closed form for series over Exponential Integral?

The closed form for series over Exponential Integral is a mathematical expression that represents the exact value of the series, without the need for further computation or approximation.

2. How is the closed form for series over Exponential Integral derived?

The closed form for series over Exponential Integral is derived using various mathematical techniques such as integration, manipulation of series expansions, and the use of known identities and properties of the Exponential Integral function.

3. What are the applications of the closed form for series over Exponential Integral?

The closed form for series over Exponential Integral has various applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It is commonly used to solve problems involving exponential growth and decay, as well as in the analysis of complex systems.

4. Can the closed form for series over Exponential Integral be generalized to other functions?

Yes, the techniques used to derive the closed form for series over Exponential Integral can be applied to other functions as well. However, the specific form of the closed form will depend on the properties of the function being considered.

5. Are there any limitations to using the closed form for series over Exponential Integral?

While the closed form for series over Exponential Integral provides an exact solution, it may not always be practical to use in calculations due to its complexity. In some cases, numerical methods or approximations may be more efficient and accurate.