Classifaction of equilibrium points for a Hamiltonian System

In summary, the equation ##\cos(xy) = 0## has many solutions of the form ##xy = (2k + 1)\frac{\pi}2##, with k an integer. The point you show is just one equilibrium point.The equation ##\cos(xy) = 0## has many solutions of the form ##xy = (2k + 1)\frac{\pi}2##, with k an integer. The point you show is just one equilibrium point.The equation ##\cos(xy) = 0## has many solutions of the form ##xy = (2k + 1)\frac{\pi}2##, with k an integer. The point you show is just one equilibrium point.The equation
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

For the system:
[tex]
\frac{dx}{dt}=x\cos{xy}
\: \:
\frac{dy}{dt}=-y\cos{xy}[/tex]
(a) is Hamiltonian with the function:
[tex]
H(x,y)=\sin{xy}[/tex]
(b) Sketch the level sets of H, and
(c) sketch the phase portrait of the system. Include a description of all equilibrium points and any saddle connections.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{\partial H}{\partial y}=y\cos{xy}=-g \\
\frac{\partial H}{\partial x}=x\cos{xy}=f[/tex]
So the function is Hamiltonian. I see that the equilibrium points are (0,0) and (±√π/2,±√π/2) by inspection. The problem I have is that the second set of equilibria have complex roots, but I don't see any of that behavior when I graph the phase portrait with pplane.

Physics news on Phys.org
rmiller70015 said:

Homework Statement

For the system:
[tex]
\frac{dx}{dt}=x\cos{xy}
\: \:
\frac{dy}{dt}=-y\cos{xy}[/tex]
(a) is Hamiltonian with the function:
[tex]
H(x,y)=\sin{xy}[/tex]
(b) Sketch the level sets of H, and
(c) sketch the phase portrait of the system. Include a description of all equilibrium points and any saddle connections.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{\partial H}{\partial y}=y\cos{xy}=-g \\
\frac{\partial H}{\partial x}=x\cos{xy}=f[/tex]
So the function is Hamiltonian. I see that the equilibrium points are (0,0) and (±√π/2,±√π/2) by inspection.
The equation ##\cos(xy) = 0## has many solutions of the form ##xy = (2k + 1)\frac{\pi}2##, with k an integer. The point you show is just one equilibrium point.
rmiller70015 said:
The problem I have is that the second set of equilibria have complex roots
How are you getting this (the complex roots)?
rmiller70015 said:
, but I don't see any of that behavior when I graph the phase portrait with pplane.

I didn't approximate so I may have made a mistake typing it into my calculator. I'll approximate and see if I get something else. Maybe that's the problem.

rmiller70015 said:
I didn't approximate so I may have made a mistake typing it into my calculator.
I used plain old algebra, so I don't see how using approximations would be helpful.
rmiller70015 said:
I'll approximate and see if I get something else. Maybe that's the problem.

I get a Jacobian matrix of:
[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
\cos{xy}-y\sin{xy} & -x^2\sin{xy} \\
xy\sin{xy} & xy\sin{xy}-\cos{xy}
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
So then my matrix for that second point becomes:
[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
-\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}} & -\frac{\pi}{2} \\
\frac{\pi}{2} & \frac{\pi}{2}
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
Then using the trace and determinant I get:
[tex]
\lambda^2-\Bigg(\frac{\pi}{2}-\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}\Bigg)\lambda-\Bigg(\Big(\frac{\pi}{2}\Big)^\frac{3}{2}-\Big(\frac{\pi}{2}\Big)^2\Bigg)[/tex]
So then the quadradic would be:
[tex]
\frac{\Bigg(\frac{\pi}{2}-\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}\Bigg)\pm\sqrt{\Bigg(\frac{\pi}{2}-\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}\Bigg)^2+4\Bigg(\big(\frac{\pi}{2}\big)^\frac{3}{2}-\big(\frac{\pi}{2}\big)^2\Bigg)}}{2}[/tex]

That is why I wanted to approximate and when I do, I still get a spiral, but this time a source. I used 1.51 as an approximation for π/2 and 1.25 for√π/2 then my approximation for b in the quadradic was 0.32 and c was 0.50. I hope I'm not completely missing something here.

Last edited:

Related to Classifaction of equilibrium points for a Hamiltonian System

1. What is a Hamiltonian system?

A Hamiltonian system is a type of mathematical system used to describe the dynamics of a physical system. It is named after the mathematician William Rowan Hamilton and is commonly used in classical mechanics and other areas of physics.

2. What is the classification of equilibrium points for a Hamiltonian system?

The classification of equilibrium points for a Hamiltonian system refers to the categorization of points where the system is in a state of balance, with no net change occurring. These points can be classified as stable, unstable, or semi-stable, depending on how the system behaves around them.

3. How are equilibrium points determined in a Hamiltonian system?

Equilibrium points in a Hamiltonian system can be determined by setting the time derivative of the system's Hamiltonian function to zero. This results in a set of equations that can be solved to find the equilibrium points.

4. What is the significance of stable equilibrium points in a Hamiltonian system?

Stable equilibrium points in a Hamiltonian system indicate that the system will return to a state of balance after experiencing a small disturbance. This is important in understanding the long-term behavior and stability of the system.

5. How does the classification of equilibrium points affect the behavior of a Hamiltonian system?

The classification of equilibrium points can greatly affect the behavior of a Hamiltonian system. For example, stable equilibrium points result in a steady-state behavior, while unstable equilibrium points can lead to chaotic behavior. Understanding the classification of equilibrium points can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the system.