Classical Mechanics "variable mass" linear motion problem in one dimention.

In summary,PF welcomes new users and provides helpful guidelines. There was a mistake in the question, which was corrected. The truck can move a certain distance without help, but it would be faster if help were given.
cemtu
Homework Statement
A truck with empty mass m0 starts to move under a constant force F0 in a rainy weather. Assuming that the rate of change of the mass of the truck starts to move from rest. a) Find the mass m(t) of the truck, b)Find the speed v(t) of the truck, c)find the distance taken x(t) by the truck; all at time t..
Relevant Equations
F=m*dv/dt
P=(dm/dt)*v +m*(dv/dt)
Please help please

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, @cemtu. Welcome to PF!

As a newcomer, please take a look at the Homework Guidelines here. Note in particular item #4.

You can edit your first post so that you can show us how you are thinking about the problem and any work that you have done so far on the problem.

Please proofread your statement of the problem. The second sentence seems to be missing some words.

Also, the second equation in your post cannot be correct. The dimensions on the left and right sides don't match.

Last edited:
cemtu said:
P=(dm/dt)*v +m*(dv/dt)
You mean dp/dt=(dm/dt)*v +m*(dv/dt), but that equation should be struck out from all textbooks and course notes. While it is true in an obvious sense, when properly interpreted it turns out not to be that useful. The issue is, what exactly is p the momentum of here? If it is of a rigid body then dm/dt=0.
It is tempting to then write F=dp/dt, but that leads to the impression that somehow applying a force leads to a change in mass!
If the mass of the system is varying then either matter is being added or removed, and it may bring/take momentum with it as it does so.

Also, the second equation in your post cannot be correct. The dimensions on the left and right sides don't match.
yes thanks for warning. However the site does not allow me to edit the homework equations.There was also a mistake in the question. I am reposting here:
  • A truck with empty mass m0 starts to move from rest under a constant force F0 in a rainy weather. Rain fills the back of the truck. Assuming that the rate of change of the mass of the truck is a constant α.
a) Find the mass m(t) of the truck,
b)Find the speed v(t) of the truck,
c)find the distance taken x(t) by the truck;
all at time t..

Homework Equations:
F = dP/dt = d(mv)/dt = (dm/dt)*v +m*(dv/dt)

Last edited:
cemtu said:
yes thanks for warning. However the site does not allow me to edit the homework equations.There was also a mistake in the question. I am reposting here:
  • A truck with empty mass m0 starts to move from rest under a constant force F0 in a rainy weather. Rain fills the back of the truck. Assuming that the rate of change of the mass of the truck is a constant α.
a) Find the mass m(t) of the truck,
b)Find the speed v(t) of the truck,
c)find the distance taken x(t) by the truck;
all at time t..

Homework Equations:
F = dP/dt = d(mv)/dt = (dm/dt)*v +m*(dv/dt)

How far can you get without any help?

PeroK said:
How far can you get without any help?
I think I solved it. Can you check please?

cemtu said:
I think I solved it. Can you check please?
Post your answers if you want.

PeroK said:
Post your answers if you want.
of course thank you Iwas preparing my answer right now:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-01-01 at 15.22.37.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-01-01 at 15.22.37.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 175
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-01-01 at 15.23.31.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-01-01 at 15.23.31.jpeg
    25.8 KB · Views: 177
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-01-01 at 15.24.27.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-01-01 at 15.24.27.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 164
Likes PeroK
I think I solved the problem can anyone please check it?

Looks good to me. There was a much quicker way to do part b), by integrating the momentum.

For part c) you could expand the log function using Taylor series and check what you have makes sense. Especially if ##\alpha = 0##.

Note that the log function can be simplified to something of the form ##\ln(1 + \alpha t/m_0)##.

Good work!

Likes cemtu
PeroK said:
Looks good to me. There was a much quicker way to do part b), by integrating the momentum.

For part c) you could expand the log function using Taylor series and check what you have makes sense. Especially if ##\alpha = 0##.

Note that the log function can be simplified to something of the form ##\ln(1 + \alpha t/m_0)##.

Good work!
Thank you so much mister PeroK! now that at least my solution is approved, I can give this solution to my teacher without concern! thank you!

PeroK said:
There was a much quicker way to do part b), by integrating the momentum.
I think you meant, by integrating the force to get the momentum.

Related to Classical Mechanics "variable mass" linear motion problem in one dimention.

1. What is the difference between "variable mass" and "constant mass" in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, "variable mass" refers to a system where the mass of an object changes over time, while "constant mass" refers to a system where the mass remains constant. In a variable mass system, the mass may change due to the addition or removal of particles or the conversion of mass into energy.

2. How does the concept of variable mass affect the equations of motion in one dimension?

The presence of variable mass in a system introduces an additional term in the equations of motion, known as the rate of change of mass. This term takes into account the change in mass over time and can significantly affect the overall motion of the system.

3. Can you provide an example of a real-world problem that involves "variable mass" linear motion in one dimension?

One example is the motion of a rocket. As the rocket burns fuel, its mass decreases, causing the acceleration to change. This change in mass must be taken into account when calculating the rocket's trajectory and velocity.

4. How do you solve a "variable mass" linear motion problem in one dimension?

To solve a variable mass linear motion problem, you first need to identify the variables, such as the initial and final masses, the initial and final velocities, and the acceleration of the system. Then, you can use the equations of motion and the additional term for the rate of change of mass to calculate the motion of the system over time.

5. Are there any simplifying assumptions that can be made when dealing with a "variable mass" linear motion problem?

Yes, in some cases, the change in mass over time may be negligible, and the system can be treated as having a constant mass. This simplifying assumption can make the problem easier to solve, but it may also result in less accurate results. It is important to carefully consider the problem at hand before making any simplifications.