The Definition of Torque - a proof

In summary, the 'effectiveness of rotation' of a force, taken as ##g(F,x)## is a function of the force F and the distance from the origin x. If the force be scaled by ##\lambda##, the effectiveness ##g(F,x)## must also be scaled by that factor. This implies that the change in effectiveness per change in F just depends on x (and not on the particular value of F). Therefore, effectiveness itself is a linearly dependent on f and some function of x.
Shreya
Homework Statement
Please refer the image below.
Relevant Equations
Newton's Laws
I have been trying to understand this proof from the book 'Introduction to classical mechanics' by David Morin. This proof comes up in the first chapter of statics and is a proof for the definition of torque.
I don't understand why the assumption taken in the beginning of the proof is reasonable. A note given at the end tries to give some clarification, but I can't relate these 2 points.
Please be kind to help. :)
1683691085008.png

Physics news on Phys.org
How about this:
The "effectivity" of a force of magnitude F applied in a specified direction at x from the axis is ##g(F,x)##. Applying some multiple of F, ##\lambda F##, in the same direction and at the same point should have effectivity ##\lambda g(F,x)##, i.e. ##\lambda g(F,x)=g(\lambda F,x)##. Hence ##\frac{\partial g(F,x)}{\partial F}=\frac{\partial g(\lambda F, x)}{\partial F}##. Since every force in the specified direction can be represented by a suitable choice of ##\lambda##, this implies ##\frac{\partial g}{\partial F}## is a function of x only. Integrating, ##g=F f(x)+c## for some function ##f##.
Adding that a zero force should have zero effect leads to the result.

Likes Shreya
Sorry, but I don't quite understand the partial differential equation, @haruspex . Should'nt there be a ##\lambda## on the left.

Last edited:
Shreya said:
Sorry, but I don't quite understand the partial differential equation, @haruspex . Should'nt there be a ##\lambda## on the left.
Sorry, I didn't write the algebra correctly.
##\lambda g(F,x)=g(\lambda F,x)##. Hence ##\lambda\frac{\partial g}{\partial F}\vert_{F,x}=\lambda\frac{\partial g}{\partial F}\vert_{\lambda F, x}##.
Cancelling,
##\frac{\partial g}{\partial F}\vert_{F,x}=\frac{\partial g}{\partial F}\vert_{\lambda F, x}##.
Since every force in the specified direction can be represented by a suitable choice of ##\lambda##, this implies ##\frac{\partial g}{\partial F}## is a function of x only. Integrating, ##g=F f(x)+c## for some function ##f##.

Likes Shreya
Yes sir, I understood it now. Just to check if I got it properly, I'll try to summarise here. The 'effectiveness of rotation' of a force, taken as ##g(F,x)## is a function of the force F and the distance from the origin x. If the force be scaled by ##\lambda##, the effectiveness ##g(F,x)## must also be scaled by that factor. This implies that the change in effectiveness per change in F just depends on x (and not on the particular value of F). Therefore, effectiveness itself is a linearly dependent on f and some function of x. I might have lost some rigorousness here due to departure from mathematical notation, but I hope I have understood the idea properly.

I also wanted to correlate the assumption with the note 1 given at the end. From your explanation, ##\lambda g (F,x) = g (\lambda F, x)## means the same as the note, right?

Last edited:
Shreya said:
I hope I have understood the idea properly.
Yes, you get the idea.
Shreya said:
From your explanation, ##\lambda g (F,x) = g (\lambda F, x)## means the same as the note, right?
My explanation is an attempt to use the hint to arrive at the answer. Whether that's what the author had in mind I cannot be sure.

Likes Shreya
Thank you so much @haruspex for helping me out again. I had tried many resources to understand this question and all that had failed. You are doing a great help to all students in the world

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque different from force?

Force is a measure of the push or pull applied to an object, while torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. Force can be applied in any direction, while torque is specifically applied in a rotational direction.

3. What are the units of torque?

The SI unit for torque is Newton-meters (Nm). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as pound-feet (lb-ft) or kilogram-centimeters (kg-cm).

4. How is torque used in everyday life?

Torque is used in many everyday activities, such as opening a door, tightening a bolt, or riding a bike. It is also an important concept in the design and operation of machines and vehicles, such as cars and airplanes.

5. What factors affect torque?

The two main factors that affect torque are the amount of force applied and the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Other factors that can affect torque include the angle at which the force is applied and the type of surface the force is applied to.