Classical mechanics: Taylor or Kleppner/Kolenkow?

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between two physics textbooks, Kleppner and Taylor. The participants share their opinions on the books and recommend reading Kleppner, which is considered one of the best books for its clear explanations and interesting problems. It is suggested to read both books simultaneously, but it also depends on the reader's level of calculus. Taylor is recommended for those who have taken a freshman course in physics, while Kleppner is recommended for everyone.
almarpa
Hello all.
I know both books cover some different topics, but for the topics they share, which one do you think is better?
I have checked the first chapters in both books, and, for the time being, I can't decide. So, if anyone of you have used these textbooks, maybe you can give me a piece of advice. My first idea would be to use both them simultaneously, but I don' know if they are "compatible".

Any comments will be wellcomed.

Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have read Kleppner two times. First time I really liked it. The second time I read it I fell in love with it. The book has many interesting problems and it is very clear (at least to me). Although hard, the chapter problems will definitely give you a great sense of accomplishment after you've solved them!

I totally recommend it!

I don't know the Taylor but kleppner is the one of the best books ever it teaches with the problems that is in everyday life and also applys it to advanced topics of physics I think whatever you decide on. read kleppners book at least once. You won't regret anyway.

I could not remember Taylor Morin at first but it is good for advanced users if you think you are go ahead of you are not read first kleppner then go through it

For the time being, I have seen that Taylor begins from the very basic, so I think it is appropiate for antoje who has taken a freshman course in physics.

It depends on your ability of calculus. Kleppner is a book should be read at once no matter how much you are good it is still good.

Related to Classical mechanics: Taylor or Kleppner/Kolenkow?

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of macroscopic objects under the influence of forces. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and is used to study the motion and interactions of objects in the world around us.

2. Who is Taylor and what is his contribution to classical mechanics?

George B. Taylor is a renowned physicist and author of the textbook "Classical Mechanics." His book is widely used in undergraduate courses and is known for its clear and concise explanations of fundamental concepts in classical mechanics.

3. Who are Kleppner and Kolenkow and what is their contribution to classical mechanics?

Daniel Kleppner and Robert Kolenkow are professors of physics at MIT and co-authors of the textbook "An Introduction to Mechanics." Their book is also widely used in undergraduate courses and is known for its rigorous approach to classical mechanics, including advanced topics such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics.

4. Which textbook is better for studying classical mechanics, Taylor or Kleppner/Kolenkow?

Both textbooks are highly regarded and have their own strengths. Taylor's book is more accessible for beginners and provides a solid foundation in classical mechanics, while Kleppner/Kolenkow's book is more advanced and covers a wider range of topics. Ultimately, the choice between the two will depend on the individual's learning style and level of understanding.

5. Is classical mechanics still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, classical mechanics is still relevant in modern physics. While it may not fully explain the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, it is still used to study the motion of large objects and systems. Many modern theories, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity, are built upon the principles of classical mechanics.