Alternative to Kleppner - Kolenkow chapter on relativity

In summary, the author recommends using Kleppner - Kolenkow and Morin - Introduction to Classical Mechanics to complement each other to get a good understanding of spatial relativity.
almarpa
Hello all.

I am currently using Kleppner - Kolenkow textbook on classical mechanics, and I am really liking it.

Now I have finally reached the chapter on spatial relativity, but I have read in several foums that, despite the quaity of the book, this chapter is not as fine as the others (I have not even begun with it, so I can't confirm that claim by myself).

So, in order to get a good understanding of spatial realtivity, avoiding to read a whole book like Rindler, Taylor and Wheeler, etc., I would like to know if there is another classical mechanics book that treats this topic in a better way than Kleppner and Kolenkow do.

In the library, I have access to Taylor, Morin, Gregory, and many other classical mechanics textbooks. Can you suggest me one or two of them?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A very good introduction is in Landau and Lifshitz vol. II (Classical Field Theory).

But I thought that book was a graduate book...

I just need something at the same level of Kleppner and Kolenkow.

Anyway, I will take a look to it.

Thank U

Morin, Introduction to Classical Mechanics, has a nice treatment of SR in an appendix. Morin is basically the modern equivalent of K&K.

You might also find my SR book helpful, although it's at a slightly higher level and has more depth and breadth than you might want. It's free.

Likes BvU
Thanks all of you for your suggestions.

I have take a look to Morin's and Taylor's books and I think I will use both them to complement Kleppner and Kolenkow.

Morin is more modern and Taylor has a nice and more advanced treatment of 4vectors, so I feel they form a good combination.

Regards.

Related to Alternative to Kleppner - Kolenkow chapter on relativity

1. What is the main difference between Kleppner-Kolenkow's chapter on relativity and other alternative chapters?

The main difference is the level of complexity and depth in which the topic of relativity is covered. Kleppner-Kolenkow's chapter may be more advanced and detailed compared to other alternatives, making it suitable for higher-level physics courses.

2. Is the content in an alternative chapter on relativity equivalent to Kleppner-Kolenkow's chapter?

It depends on the specific alternative chapter being compared. Some may cover similar topics and concepts, while others may take a different approach or focus on different aspects of relativity. It is best to compare the table of contents or read reviews to determine the similarities and differences.

3. Are there any notable advantages or disadvantages to using an alternative chapter on relativity?

One potential advantage is that alternative chapters may offer a fresh perspective or present the material in a more accessible manner for some readers. However, they may also lack the same level of rigor or comprehensive coverage found in Kleppner-Kolenkow's chapter.

4. How can I determine which alternative chapter on relativity is best for me?

It is recommended to read reviews or ask for recommendations from peers or instructors who have used alternative chapters. Additionally, comparing the table of contents and previewing sample chapters can help you determine which alternative best aligns with your learning style and needs.

5. Can I use an alternative chapter on relativity as a standalone resource for learning about the topic?

It is possible, but it may be more beneficial to use the alternative chapter in conjunction with other resources, such as textbooks and lectures. This can provide a more well-rounded understanding of relativity and help you grasp the material more thoroughly.