Classical Mechanics Monographs: Re-Discovering Whittaker's 1917 Problem

• Thread starter wrobel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classical
In summary, classical mechanics used to be a prominent branch of physics but is now considered more of an educational subject. However, it is still important to remember its heritage. A problem from an old textbook, A Treatise on Analytical Dynamics, is presented and is seen as a beautiful problem. It may not be suitable for modern textbooks due to its length and complexity.
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Epoch of thick textbooks in classical mechanics was ended at the edge of 19-20 century. There appear a lot of new branches of physics and classical mech. is no longer considered by physicists as a cutting-edge branch but only as an educational subject. Nevertheless, I believe that we should not completely forget this heritage.

So here is one of the beautiful problems from old textbook [A Treatise on Analytical Dynamics by E. T. Whittaker (1917)]

Screenshot_2019-04-01_17-34-47.png

In principle there is nothing complicated here, but the effect is not evident at least for my personal taste. I think that this problem would be looked nice in problem setss of modern courses.

Likes kuruman
Physics news on Phys.org
Very nice problem. However, I think that if it were published in a "modern" textbook, it will have to be chopped into shorter sentences to accommodate the attention span of "modern" students.

Likes anorlunda
I believe you. Мy English is not so good to feel such nuances :)

1. What is the significance of Whittaker's 1917 problem in classical mechanics?

Whittaker's 1917 problem, also known as the "inverse problem of Lagrangian dynamics", is a fundamental problem in classical mechanics that aims to find the potential function for a given set of equations of motion. It has been a subject of interest for many scientists and has led to important developments in the field of mechanics.

2. How does the book "Classical Mechanics Monographs: Re-Discovering Whittaker's 1917 Problem" contribute to the understanding of this problem?

This book provides a comprehensive and detailed analysis of Whittaker's 1917 problem, including its historical context, mathematical foundations, and applications. It also offers new insights and approaches to solving the problem, making it a valuable resource for researchers and students in the field of classical mechanics.

3. Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is primarily aimed at researchers and graduate students in the field of classical mechanics. It assumes a strong background in mathematics and physics, particularly in Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics.

4. What are some key concepts covered in "Classical Mechanics Monographs: Re-Discovering Whittaker's 1917 Problem"?

The book covers a wide range of topics related to Whittaker's 1917 problem, including Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalisms, variational principles, canonical transformations, and the Hamilton-Jacobi theory. It also discusses the role of symmetries and conservation laws in solving the problem.

5. How does the book address the current state of research on Whittaker's 1917 problem?

The book provides a comprehensive review of the current state of research on Whittaker's 1917 problem, including recent developments and open questions. It also presents new results and perspectives on the problem, making it a valuable resource for researchers looking to further explore this topic.