Classical Mechanics collission particles

In summary, the conversation discussed solving for the energy of a reaction when a particle of mass m1 collides with a particle at rest, resulting in particles m3 and m4 leaving at angles 3 and 4 from the original path. The solution involves using equations for the x and y directions and the conservation of energy equation, and a trig identity for sin(theta3 + theta4). Ultimately, the energy of the reaction can be expressed in terms of the masses, angles, and initial momentum p1.
matt222

Homework Statement

particle of mass m1 collides with particle m2 at rest. The out come of the reaction were m3 and m4 which leave the collision at angles 3 and angle 4 withthe original path. find the energy of the reaction Q in terms of the masses and angles and p1

Homework Equations

x-direction p1=p3cos(theata3)+p4cos(theata4)

y-direction 0=p3sin(theata3)-p4sin(theata4)

T1+Q=T3+T4

T1=p1^2/2m1

T3=p3^2/2m3

The Attempt at a Solution

BY eliminating theata 4 by sequaring and adding x and y equations the out come where

P4^2=P1^2+P3^2-2P1P3COS(theata3)

so Q=p3^2/2m3+p4^2/2m4-p1^2/2m1

but I couldn't find the Q with respect to angles and only p1 can anyone help be

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the equation

y-direction 0=p3sin(theata3)-p4sin(theata4)

to solve for p4 in terms of p3 and the angles, then substitute the result into

x-direction p1=p3cos(theata3)+p4cos(theata4)

to determine p3 in terms of p1 and the angles.

I have got the answer which is
Q= P^2/2m3+2p1^2-2p1^2cos(theata3)/2m4 -p1^2/2m1

do you agree witth my solution so far, but in the book answer is totally different, it is Q=P1^2/2m1{((m1/m3)sin^2(theata4)+(m1/m4)sin^2(theata3))/sin^2(theata3+theata4) -1}

I find the same answer as your book. You might want to explain what you did when you said "BY eliminating theata 4 by sequaring." I can see no way to completely eliminate [tex]\theta_4[/tex]. Therefore your equation

P4^2=P1^2+P3^2-2P1P3COS(theata3)

is probably wrong. All you have to do is solve the equations for the y and x directions for p3 and p4, then substitute those results into the energy conservation equation. There's one trig identity that you need to use to compare with the book.

i mean by eliminating theata4 is just x and y direction equatation move the first term to the left then sequaring and adding up the two equation the results came like this, which trig you had used because i have tried a lot but i couldnt, i did your way i think need your help

my problem now how to eliminate P3 ,

matt222 said:
i mean by eliminating theata4 is just x and y direction equatation move the first term to the left then sequaring and adding up the two equation the results came like this,

OK, I see now. If you solve for p3 you'll reintroduce the [tex]\theta_4[/tex] dependence.

which trig you had used because i have tried a lot but i couldnt, i did your way i think need your help

The only trig identity to compare to the book answer is the one for [tex]\sin(\theta_3+\theta_4)[/tex]. Try to come up with the expressions for p3 and p4 in terms of p1 and the angles. Once you get those, it's pretty easy to use the conservation of energy equation to get Q.

perfect i got it finally,thank you very much for your help

Related to Classical Mechanics collission particles

1. What is Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of physical bodies under the influence of forces. It is based on the laws of motion and gravity established by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What is a collision in Classical Mechanics?

A collision in Classical Mechanics refers to the interaction between two or more particles or bodies, where there is a transfer of energy and momentum. This can occur in both elastic and inelastic collisions.

3. How are collisions modeled in Classical Mechanics?

In Classical Mechanics, collisions are modeled using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. These principles state that the total momentum and energy of a closed system before and after a collision remains constant.

4. What are the types of collisions in Classical Mechanics?

There are two types of collisions in Classical Mechanics: elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy and the bodies bounce off each other. In an inelastic collision, there is a loss of kinetic energy and the bodies stick together after the collision.

5. How is the outcome of a collision determined in Classical Mechanics?

The outcome of a collision in Classical Mechanics is determined by the relative masses and velocities of the particles involved, as well as the elasticity of the collision. This can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy.