Clarifications about impedance

• Thread starter themadquark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impedance
In summary, impedance is a complex number that represents the resistance and reactance of a circuit. Reactance is affected by Lenz's Law in inductive components and by construction in capacitive components. Real-life situations may not always follow ideal rules. To fully understand the concept, it is important to consider the physical effects and how the number represents them. Additionally, the conversation ends with the individual realizing they have neglected important sections of a textbook on electronic theory.
themadquark
From the research I have done, I believe I have fully grasped the concept of impedance -- my initial problem being is that I suspected it had to do a lot with lenz' law, but no sources clearly stated one way or another. What I need is verification that I am correct or to be corrected.

From what I understand, Impedance is expressed as a complex number, with regular resistance being the real part and reactance being the imaginary part. From what I have read, reactance is very much dependent on the concept set forth by lenz' law as it is the resistance to flow of current due to the application of lenz' law to inductive components such as actual inductors and transformers, OR capacitive components opposition to current flow due to their construction. I am almost certain there are many flaws in my understanding, so please correct me where I am wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
... you've already noticed that the capacitor's "resistance" to current flow does not depend on Lenz's Law. You've only looked at ideal capacitors and inductors so far - leave room for new information. Real life is messy.

To understand the concept, what the number means, you should go the physical effect that happens: what is it trying to describe.
Impedence encodes the effect of components on the phase as well as the amplitude of a signal.

I apologise for the late response -- I appreciate the assistance and have now realized that I neglected several sections of an excellent textbook on electronic theory given to me.

No worries. Let us know what you figured out.

I can confirm that your understanding of impedance is mostly correct. Impedance is indeed expressed as a complex number, with resistance and reactance being the real and imaginary parts respectively. Reactance is the resistance to current flow in a circuit due to the presence of inductors or capacitors, and it is affected by the principles of Lenz's law. This law states that any change in the magnetic field of a circuit will induce a current that opposes the change. In inductive components, this opposition to current flow is known as inductive reactance, while in capacitive components, it is called capacitive reactance.

However, it is important to note that impedance is not solely dependent on Lenz's law. It also takes into account other factors such as the physical properties and dimensions of the components, the frequency of the current, and the overall circuit design. So while Lenz's law does play a role in determining reactance, it is not the only factor.

I would also like to clarify that impedance is not limited to just inductive and capacitive components. It also applies to resistive components, which have a real part of impedance equal to their resistance. In fact, all components in a circuit will have some level of impedance, and it is the overall impedance of the circuit that determines the flow of current.

Overall, your understanding of impedance is on the right track, but it is important to keep in mind the various factors that influence it. I hope this clarifies any doubts you may have had. Keep up the good work with your research!

Related to Clarifications about impedance

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to an alternating current (AC) in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How is impedance different from resistance?

Impedance and resistance are related concepts but they are not the same. Resistance is the opposition to an electric current in a direct current (DC) circuit, while impedance takes into account both resistance and reactance (the opposition to an AC current caused by inductance and capacitance).

3. How can impedance affect the performance of an electrical system?

Impedance can significantly impact the performance of an electrical system. A high impedance can cause voltage drops and limit the flow of current, leading to reduced efficiency and potential damage to components. On the other hand, a low impedance can result in excessive current flow and overheating of the system.

4. How can impedance be calculated?

Impedance is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that impedance (Z) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). In other words, Z = V/I. However, since impedance takes into account both resistance and reactance, the calculation can become more complex in AC circuits.

5. What are some common ways to reduce impedance in a circuit?

There are several ways to reduce impedance in a circuit, including using larger wire sizes, minimizing the length of wires, and using higher quality components with lower resistance and reactance. Additionally, using techniques such as impedance matching and proper grounding can also help reduce impedance and improve system performance.