Meaning of zero/infinite impedance

• Thread starter TheCanadian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impedance
In summary, the impedance of a capacitor and inductor at 1000 rad/s in both series and parallel configurations can be 0 or infinity, depending on the configuration. This is due to the frequency-dependent nature of impedance and can be used to create band-pass or band-stop filters. In theoretical cases where the resistance is 0, the energy supplied by a current source will constantly transfer between the inductor and capacitor without making a full loop. This concept may be difficult to understand, but can be visualized as two elements that can store and release energy.
TheCanadian
I was calculating the impedance of a capacitor and inductor of ## 1 \mu {\text F}## and ##1 {\text H}## respectively, at ##1000 \frac {\text rad}{\text s}## in both series and parallel configurations. I found the impedance to be 0 and infinity in the two cases, which is correct. But now I'm just wondering, what exactly does this mean for a real circuit? Since there are individual components in this circuit with a finite impedance, but zero (or infinite) total impedance in the equivalent circuit, what exactly are the properties of this circuit? I guess I'm just trying to understand: what exactly is the meaning of an impedance in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me try to answer.

The meaning of impedance in this case is the same as always! you can see it was the relation between the voltage between the terminals and the current going into your (equivalent) circuit (or two-terminal element). It doesn't really matter of it's complex or not, it just makes things a bit more complicated at first.

The important thing to notice is that, in this case, impedance is dependant on frecuency, which doesn't happen when you have a purely resistive circuit.

As you have correctly guessed the impedance corresponds to 0 or infinity at that particular frecuency and as you know its a continuous function (expect for the point where it goes to infnity) so for frecuencies close to 1000 rad/s, we call this the resonant frecuency of the system, for obvious reasons, it'll be very close to 0 or very large, respectively.

If you add a resistance in series to the circuit, to account for the fact that your components are not perfect capacitors/inductors or for the resistance of the wire itself. You can see that the impedance of the new circuit won't go to zero or infinity but will go to a very low value or to a very high value for that particular frecuency. You have just made a band-pass filter or a band-stop filter!

One typical aplication of this circuit, which you can (and should!) try for yourself is an AM radio. AM stands for amplitude modulation, which means that the message is coded in the amplitude of the wave, which has a constant frecuency, which is perfect for us. If you use the circuit as a band-pass filter (impedance 0) and you feed it with multiple frecuencies waves hooking it to an antenna (radio station waves) the circuit will "select" only the waves which have a frecuency sufficiently close to the resonant frecuency and with very little extra components, in fact you can do this with only a diode on top of the inductor and capacitor (of course you will need some way to listen to it, like a headphone speaker).

Here is the simplified schematic for the AM radio. You can tune the station if you have a varying capacitor or inductor.
01112x01.png

I hope this helps you at least a bit, I may have divagated a bit, can't help it!

Luis Obis said:
Let me try to answer.

The meaning of impedance in this case is the same as always! you can see it was the relation between the voltage between the terminals and the current going into your (equivalent) circuit (or two-terminal element). It doesn't really matter of it's complex or not, it just makes things a bit more complicated at first.

The important thing to notice is that, in this case, impedance is dependant on frecuency, which doesn't happen when you have a purely resistive circuit.

As you have correctly guessed the impedance corresponds to 0 or infinity at that particular frecuency and as you know its a continuous function (expect for the point where it goes to infnity) so for frecuencies close to 1000 rad/s, we call this the resonant frecuency of the system, for obvious reasons, it'll be very close to 0 or very large, respectively.

If you add a resistance in series to the circuit, to account for the fact that your components are not perfect capacitors/inductors or for the resistance of the wire itself. You can see that the impedance of the new circuit won't go to zero or infinity but will go to a very low value or to a very high value for that particular frecuency. You have just made a band-pass filter or a band-stop filter!

One typical aplication of this circuit, which you can (and should!) try for yourself is an AM radio. AM stands for amplitude modulation, which means that the message is coded in the amplitude of the wave, which has a constant frecuency, which is perfect for us. If you use the circuit as a band-pass filter (impedance 0) and you feed it with multiple frecuencies waves hooking it to an antenna (radio station waves) the circuit will "select" only the waves which have a frecuency sufficiently close to the resonant frecuency and with very little extra components, in fact you can do this with only a diode on top of the inductor and capacitor (of course you will need some way to listen to it, like a headphone speaker).

Here is the simplified schematic for the AM radio. You can tune the station if you have a varying capacitor or inductor.
View attachment 93363

I hope this helps you at least a bit, I may have divagated a bit, can't help it!

Thank you for the response! I realize this is a theoretical case (where R = 0), but if a current source was hooked up to these two configurations, where Z = 0 and Z = infinity, what exactly happens to this energy/current supplied? For Z = infinity, for example, does the energy just constantly transfer back and forth purely between the inductor and capacitor, thus not making a full loop?

Looking at it as two elements that can store and release energy, the case of Z = infinity despite finite individual impedances is a strange concept to me that I'm just trying to wrap my head around.

Related to Meaning of zero/infinite impedance

What is the meaning of zero impedance?

Zero impedance refers to a complete absence of resistance in an electrical circuit. This means that the current can flow freely without any opposition, resulting in a voltage drop of zero. In practical terms, this would mean that the circuit would have an infinite amount of current flowing through it.

How is zero impedance calculated?

Zero impedance is calculated by dividing the voltage by the current in a circuit. This results in a value of zero, indicating no resistance in the circuit. It is important to note that in reality, there is always some level of resistance in a circuit, so a true zero impedance is not achievable.

What does infinite impedance mean?

Infinite impedance refers to a circuit or system that has an extremely high level of resistance, essentially blocking any current from flowing through it. This can occur in situations where there is a break in the circuit or when using special components such as insulators or air gaps.

How is infinite impedance represented in a circuit?

Infinite impedance is represented by the symbol ∞ in a circuit diagram. This symbol indicates that there is no path for the current to flow through, resulting in an infinite amount of resistance. It is also sometimes represented as an open circuit, with a break in the circuit indicating no connection.

What are the practical applications of zero and infinite impedance?

Zero impedance is typically desired in electrical systems, as it allows for maximum current flow and efficient energy transfer. It is commonly used in power transmission and distribution systems. Infinite impedance, on the other hand, is useful in situations where insulation or isolation is required, such as in capacitors or for safety purposes in electrical equipment.