Clarification of the wording of a statistics problem

• Thread starter Biochemgirl2002
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
Instead, they want to construct a confidence interval about the sample mean and see if it includes the value 20. In summary, the scientists are trying to determine if the mean weight of the population is 20g or not.
Biochemgirl2002
Homework Statement
A sample of 100 flounders of a certain species has sample mean weight 21.5 grams and standard
deviation 8.4. Scientists want to determine if the mean weight differs from 20 grams.
a) At α = 0.05, is there enough evidence to conclude that the weight is different from 20? Use the p-value method.
Relevant Equations
i have no clue
i don't know what to do, but i am not asking help for the whole thing i am just wondering what it means by mean weight differs from 20g? from 1.5g-41.5g? or does it mean when the weight is not 20g

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they want you to construct a confidence interval about the sample mean and see if it includes the value 20.

rhiana said:
i am just wondering what it means by mean weight differs from 20g? from 1.5g-41.5g? or does it mean when the weight is not 20g

The scientists are interested in whether the mean weight of the population is (or is not) 20g. Their question is not whether the mean weight of the population is in the interval [1.5g, 41.5g].

Related to Clarification of the wording of a statistics problem

What is the purpose of clarifying the wording of a statistics problem?

The purpose of clarifying the wording of a statistics problem is to ensure that all parties involved have a clear and accurate understanding of the question being asked. This helps to avoid any confusion or misinterpretation and leads to more accurate and reliable results.

How can unclear wording affect the outcome of a statistics problem?

Unclear wording can greatly impact the outcome of a statistics problem by causing misunderstandings and leading to incorrect interpretations of the data. This can result in inaccurate conclusions and potentially misleading results.

What steps should be taken to clarify the wording of a statistics problem?

To clarify the wording of a statistics problem, it is important to carefully read and analyze the question to identify any potential areas of confusion or ambiguity. It can also be helpful to discuss the problem with others and gather different perspectives to ensure a clear understanding. Additionally, using precise language and avoiding jargon can help to clarify the problem.

Why is it important to use precise language when formulating a statistics problem?

Precise language is important when formulating a statistics problem because it helps to eliminate any possible misinterpretations or misunderstandings. Using specific and clear language ensures that the question being asked is accurately understood and leads to more reliable results.

What are some common strategies for clarifying the wording of a statistics problem?

Some common strategies for clarifying the wording of a statistics problem include breaking down complex or convoluted sentences into simpler language, using examples or scenarios to illustrate the problem, and asking for feedback from others to ensure the question is clear and easily understood.